It's As Good As Dunn!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » It's As Good As Dunn!
DCRage
2/11/09 4:32:09PM
Still in shock over this...Adam Dunn signed with my Washington Nationals today, 2 years. No back-to-back 100-loss seasons for us! We hope. Heard about it driving home from work and could not believe it.
emfleek
2/11/09 4:36:59PM
That's Mr. .230 to you.

Twenty20Dollars
2/11/09 5:09:07PM
Im suprised Dunn was picked up so late. Home run machine.

Go Royals
higdon10
2/11/09 5:29:29PM
I'm sorry to hear that DC. As a huge Reds fan I will assure you that you will be sick of Dunn by the all star break. He is the biggest rally killer in baseball. The only way he drives in a run is if he leaves the park. Its home run or bust. I tried to be a fan but its nearly impossible. He is one of my least favorite players in all of baseball and he played for the team in which I am a die hard fan. Better you than us Washington.
hotrodttt
2/11/09 10:43:57PM
My A's are lookin Great this Year !
urbman
2/12/09 2:37:47AM

Posted by emfleek

That's Mr. .230 to you.

And thats not his weight either.
urbman
2/12/09 2:41:10AM

Posted by hotrodttt

My A's are lookin Great this Year !

The A's acquired Matt Holliday which was a great move.And they're loaded in the minors too from all the prospects they've received trading some of their pitchers away.
DCRage
2/12/09 6:47:42AM

Posted by higdon10

I'm sorry to hear that DC. As a huge Reds fan I will assure you that you will be sick of Dunn by the all star break. He is the biggest rally killer in baseball. The only way he drives in a run is if he leaves the park. Its home run or bust. I tried to be a fan but its nearly impossible. He is one of my least favorite players in all of baseball and he played for the team in which I am a die hard fan. Better you than us Washington.

The important thing to Kasten & the Lerners (team Prez & owners) is that he likely will put more butts in more seats. The Nats couldn't draw last season unless we were playing the Cubs or Orioles. At the very least the move creates some more buzz around the city.
Shawn91111
2/12/09 7:35:59AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by higdon10

The important thing to Kasten & the Lerners (team Prez & owners) is that he likely will put more butts in more seats. The Nats couldn't draw last season unless we were playing the Cubs or Orioles. At the very least the move creates some more buzz around the city.

If they couldnt draw with Soriano, why would they draw with Dunn who is a worse player IMO. Dunn will hit 35 + might drive in 100 but he is a horrid defender and strikes out way too much. If he could cut down on his K's he has great OB% and is young enough where he can steal 20. He should give protection to Zimmerman, but they still have no pitching
DCRage
2/12/09 7:45:37AM
They did, and quite well. It generated quite a bit of buzz around here, but back then ownership didn't want to pay up for big players, we were content to follow Florida's strategy and stockpile prospects and pitchers. Now at least we know the Teixeira bid wasn't just a bluff. And as for hitting, the team's BA as a whole last year was already crappy as it is, so no big deal there. If this gets people talking, coming out to the park again, and a few more wins on the board, success.
Shawn91111
2/12/09 7:54:36AM

Posted by DCRage

They did, and quite well. It generated quite a bit of buzz around here, but back then ownership didn't want to pay up for big players, we were content to follow Florida's strategy and stockpile prospects and pitchers. Now at least we know the Teixeira bid wasn't just a bluff. And as for hitting, the team's BA as a whole last year was already crappy as it is, so no big deal there. If this gets people talking, coming out to the park again, and a few more wins on the board, success.

Actually they dropped in attendance from the Year prior to Soriano. The whole stockpiling prospects kinda blew up when they wanted the farm for Soriano and didnt end up getting it
AchillesHeel
2/12/09 10:32:38AM

Posted by emfleek

That's Mr. .230 to you.

No, he's "Mr. 899" to him (being Dunn's career OPS, good for an OPS+ of 130). He might also be "Mr. 13.9" (Dunn's ABs per HR, placing him 5th all-time). Or he might just be "Mr. 40" (the number of homeruns he's hit, every year, for the past four years). Of course, he could also be "Mr. 180" (his average number of strikeouts per 162 career games played). Prolly not, though.

Oh, and the Angels' signing of Bobby Abreu for $5m is a steal.
emfleek
2/12/09 10:50:16AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Oh, and the Angels' signing of Bobby Abreu for $5m is a steal.

Agreed. I was hoping the Cubs would grab him. Now that I know that it didn't take much to get him, I'm reeeeeeeeeally disappointed.
tberg420
2/12/09 11:09:57AM
I second the fellow Reds fan. However, Dunn did hit some very big HR's in the early part of last year. The one against the Indians in extras was awesome. What that said, he is extremely hard headed when it comes to his approach at the plate. He refuses to hit the ball to the opposite field as it's always open. Maybe with the right hitting coach, Big Donkey will begin to do that. He really is a good athlete as he could've started for the University Of Texas Football team at QB ahead of Chris "I hate Oklahoma" Sims and Major Applewhite. I hope that he does well for the Nationals as I really like Donkey much better then A-hole Griffey.
higdon10
2/12/09 7:09:07PM
I wish him and Washington the best, I would just reccomend not putting to much faith in Dunn. The higher the expectations the bigger the dissapointment.
cmill21
2/13/09 4:18:31AM
And my Mets haven't picked up ****...blahhh
Shawn91111
2/13/09 9:36:53AM

Posted by cmill21

umm what? What do you call K-rod and Putz and resigning Perez?
urbman
2/13/09 12:54:22PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

They really solidified the back end of their bullpen with them 2 guys.I think they're still looking to add another bat too.
tberg420
2/13/09 2:29:18PM
Putz is a good pick up if he can stay healthy. There's just something always special about the Mets blowing it in the last few weeks of the season.
Boo_Radley21
2/13/09 2:32:41PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about Ryan Dunn.
ncordless
2/13/09 2:36:28PM
Adam Dunn is kind of like Alex Roidriguez. They are some of the best hitters in baseball when it doesn't matter... and average at best when the game is on the line.
Shawn91111
2/13/09 3:04:36PM

Posted by ncordless

Adam Dunn is kind of like Alex Roidriguez. They are some of the best hitters in baseball when it doesn't matter... and average at best when the game is on the line.

To compare Arod to Dunn is unreal. ARod is one of the best players in the game. Dunn doesnt come close
cmill21
2/14/09 6:42:54AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

I call that making the terrible bullpen better but they still need some out fielders, we have one legit starting outfielder.
Shawn91111
2/14/09 7:31:54AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

I call that making the terrible bullpen better but they still need some out fielders, we have one legit starting outfielder.

Bullpen was their biggest weakness last year...by far. So saying they picked up **** is incorrect. As for the outfield, yes they do need another bat, the signing of Abreu by the Angels was a good sign for them and was what the Mets needed to do. God knows they could have afforded the $5 million + on Abreu. I think they are inclinded to go with Church in right and see what a platoon of Murphy and Tatis will do and wait on Martinez in the minors.
ncordless
2/14/09 1:16:09PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ncordless

To compare Arod to Dunn is unreal. ARod is one of the best players in the game. Dunn doesnt come close

You can easily compare the "Clutchness" the players. Both of them along with Bonds never got hits when it mattered. Anyone who knows baseball knows that stats don't matter... it is when those hits happen that truely make a great player.

A-Roid is the best "fantasy" player in the game, but put two runners on base in the late innings when you are down by two and I can think of a ton of hitters I'd rather have at the plate than A-Roid.
cmill21
2/14/09 5:45:45PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

Bullpen was their biggest weakness last year...by far. So saying they picked up **** is incorrect. As for the outfield, yes they do need another bat, the signing of Abreu by the Angels was a good sign for them and was what the Mets needed to do. God knows they could have afforded the $5 million + on Abreu. I think they are inclinded to go with Church in right and see what a platoon of Murphy and Tatis will do and wait on Martinez in the minors.

They'll still **** the bed in the 6 and 7th innings don't worry. They're starting pitching isn't good enough to take them to the 8th every game for putz and K-rod, on top of that Putz isn't a fantastic pick up IMHO.
Shawn91111
2/14/09 6:33:20PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by cmill21

They'll still **** the bed in the 6 and 7th innings don't worry. They're starting pitching isn't good enough to take them to the 8th every game for putz and K-rod, on top of that Putz isn't a fantastic pick up IMHO.

I agree on the starting pitching. I think them not giving Lowe that extra year hurt them. I really like Lowe, he always brings it and has been playoff tested time and time again. Bullpen is in deep demand and there just wasnt a hole lot out there, but I do like the Putz pick up. He has a great fastball at around 95-98 MPH and had trouble with his other pitches. Once he learned and mastered his splitter he became very very good, although last year was rough with injuries.
AchillesHeel
2/14/09 6:34:48PM

Posted by ncordless

A-Roid is the best "fantasy" player in the game, but put two runners on base in the late innings when you are down by two and I can think of a ton of hitters I'd rather have at the plate than A-Roid.

I'm unable to find a useful list, so I don't know how Rodriguez compares to other hitters, but his hitting does drop a notch when he's in these situations.

For his career, A-Rod has hit .306 / .389 / .578. With 2 outs and runners in scoring position, he's hit .275 / .403 / .486, which is about a 12% drop in OPS. In this "clutch" situation, his OBP goes up, but his batting average and SLG both drop substantially, which probably suggests that he gets much less aggressive, and simply tries to avoid getting out. In his defense, the numbers surely also reflect the fact that pitchers don't give him squat to hit when there are guys on and two outs.

By contrast, David Ortiz hits .286 / .413 / .549 with 2 outs & RISP, compared against his overall career averages of .287 / .382 / .554. Derek Jeter hits .317 / .417 / .449 in these clutch ABs, against his .316 / .387 / .458 career averages. Like Rodriguez, Ortiz and Jeter both get a boost to their OBP from the quavering pitchers, but they still manage to hit the ball with as much authority as they usually do.

And since we started this thread talking about Adam Dunn... Yeah, he's a bit soggy too. With 2 outs and runners in scoring position, he's hit .214 / .440 / .443, compared to his overall career averages of .247 / .381 / .518. Again, pitchers are probably are happy to give him 60 points on his OBP.

More on Big Papi: For his career, Ortiz's OPS actually does improve by about 7% with 2 outs and runners in scoring position. In 2004, Ortiz hit .230 / .295 / .460 when there were 0 outs in the inning, and .325 / .407 / .660 with 2 outs. With nobody on base, he hit .281 / .349 / .592. With men on base, he hit .322 / .411 / .616. In 1,130 career PAs facing a starting pitcher for the third time in a given game, he's hit .321 / .404 / .657. And he loves the Yankees: .313 / .398 / .574 in 517 career PAs, .316 / .393 / .632 at The Stadium.

Shawn91111
2/14/09 7:07:31PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ncordless

I'm unable to find a useful list, so I don't know how Rodriguez compares to other hitters, but his hitting does drop a notch when he's in these situations.

For his career, A-Rod has hit .306 / .389 / .578. With 2 outs and runners in scoring position, he's hit .275 / .403 / .486, which is about a 12% drop in OPS. In this "clutch" situation, his OBP goes up, but his batting average and SLG both drop substantially, which probably suggests that he gets much less aggressive, and simply tries to avoid getting out. In his defense, the numbers surely also reflect the fact that pitchers don't give him squat to hit when there are guys on and two outs.

By contrast, David Ortiz hits .286 / .413 / .549 with 2 outs & RISP, compared against his overall career averages of .287 / .382 / .554. Derek Jeter hits .317 / .417 / .449 in these clutch ABs, against his .316 / .387 / .458 career averages. Like Rodriguez, Ortiz and Jeter both get a boost to their OBP from the quavering pitchers, but they still manage to hit the ball with as much authority as they usually do.

And since we started this thread talking about Adam Dunn... Yeah, he's a bit soggy too. With 2 outs and runners in scoring position, he's hit .214 / .440 / .443, compared to his overall career averages of .247 / .381 / .518. Again, pitchers are probably are happy to give him 60 points on his OBP.

More on Big Papi: For his career, Ortiz's OPS actually does improve by about 7% with 2 outs and runners in scoring position. In 2004, Ortiz hit .230 / .295 / .460 when there were 0 outs in the inning, and .325 / .407 / .660 with 2 outs. With nobody on base, he hit .281 / .349 / .592. With men on base, he hit .322 / .411 / .616. In 1,130 career PAs facing a starting pitcher for the third time in a given game, he's hit .321 / .404 / .657. And he loves the Yankees: .313 / .398 / .574 in 517 career PAs, .316 / .393 / .632 at The Stadium.
]

Jeter is as clutch as they come. The comparing Dunn to Arod isnt a good comparission IMO. Arod in 2007 carried the Yankees to the playoffs. Dunn has never been that guy and has no idea what its like to play in the spot light in NY. Im not saying Arod is the most clutch guy around or even on his team, I think Jeter is more clutch, but there really is no comparison. Dunn for his credit does get on base with such a horrible BA, but against that he strikeouts a ton.
tberg420
2/16/09 4:09:52PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ncordless

You can easily compare the "Clutchness" the players. Both of them along with Bonds never got hits when it mattered. Anyone who knows baseball knows that stats don't matter... it is when those hits happen that truely make a great player.

Obviously you don't watch much baseball or you are way too young to remember Bonds back as a Pirate. He was an absolute killing machine on a not so great team that always went to the playoffs. He killed with the Giants before all the steroid crap started as well. I don't care for Bonds at all but to say that he wasn't clutch was completely ridiculous. If the Reds were ever good enough to make the playoffs then Dunn might have done something but they weren't. So, I guess your clutch argument for him has a point even though Dunn has had some huge hits for the Reds including that awesome Cliff Lee vs. Volquez showdown that happened last season. A-Rod, I completely agree with as he chokes in the playoffs every year.