It's been fun but I have to leave

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » It's been fun but I have to leave
Bowen50
11/19/11 2:00:21PM
I know i haven't posted much on these forums in the past year and it's for good reason. I've been working on becoming a certified MMA judge and referee. I recently participated in Herb Dean's judge and referee school and passed with flying colors. This will be my last season participating in the fantasy game. At the end of this season i will request that my account is deleted so I can remain unbiased and not run into any trouble with the commissions i apply to and eventually work for. Thanks to everyone for participating in discussions with me on the forums and in fight camps. I apologize to anyone i've offended in the past. I can't wait to come back here one day as a browser without an account to see how much you guys hate me after a poor stoppage . again, thanks playground but after this season i bid you farewell.
kopower
11/19/11 2:10:11PM
Wow. Congrats man. Hope everything works out. MMA needs better judges out there, so hopefully you can make a dent and get the ship righted.
Budgellism
11/19/11 2:36:42PM

Posted by Bowen50

I know i haven't posted much on these forums in the past year and it's for good reason. I've been working on becoming a certified MMA judge and referee. I recently participated in Herb Dean's judge and referee school and passed with flying colors. This will be my last season participating in the fantasy game. At the end of this season i will request that my account is deleted so I can remain unbiased and not run into any trouble with the commissions i apply to and eventually work for. Thanks to everyone for participating in discussions with me on the forums and in fight camps. I apologize to anyone i've offended in the past. I can't wait to come back here one day as a browser without an account to see how much you guys hate me after a poor stoppage . again, thanks playground but after this season i bid you farewell.

Congrats man, that's awesome. Don't be one of those judges everyone loves to hate though. Leonard Garcia may appreciate it but we don't.
grappler0000
11/19/11 3:18:12PM
Congratulations, Bowen! Just be sure to make the playground proud. And don't be afraid to bring 10-10's back.
dredd57
11/19/11 3:31:36PM
Good, now you can let us know who's paying off Cecil People's.
Aether
11/19/11 4:38:30PM
dude how do you go about getting into judging? do you have to apply for that school, or can anyone just pay for it and show up? I've been considering getting into judging for a while now and I would be interested to know what the process is.
Kpro
11/19/11 4:57:04PM
Congrats! Hopefully soon you'll have less travel and get to judge and ref in NY
postman
11/19/11 5:12:25PM
LEAVING THE PLAYGROUND WAS A CRAP CALL BOWEN!!!!! AWFUL!!!!! JUST PRACTICING!!!!! CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK!
tcunningham
11/20/11 4:05:48AM
good luck. just being a part of the playground has probably got a leg up on MMA knowledge over every other judge in the entire sport, plus that school sounds like its the right way to go
Rabi
11/20/11 7:36:45AM
N1 well done mate, good luck.
Bowen50
11/20/11 1:25:15PM

Posted by Aether

dude how do you go about getting into judging? do you have to apply for that school, or can anyone just pay for it and show up? I've been considering getting into judging for a while now and I would be interested to know what the process is.

http://www.herbdean.com/curriculum.html
I went to Herb Dean's school. I know Big John runs one as well. Anyone can just pay and show up but there are a limited amount of spots per class. I don't think he's holding any more until 2012. If you're interested i highly suggest going and getting involved with Herb's school. He's a great teacher and a very open guy willing to answer ANY questions. Just know a part of the testing is actually physically demonstrating MMA technique, mostly grappling. If you have any other questions I'm pretty sure he lists an email on the site and if you want i'll DM you my personal email if you have any more questions for me.
Aether
11/20/11 1:41:37PM
how intricate is the submission demonstration part? Like are we talking about showing how to execute more simple techniques like RNCs and armbars, or do they get more in-depth with less common stuff like d'arce chokes, gogoplatas, etc.?
Bowen50
11/20/11 4:38:49PM
nothing crazy. pretty much just basic guard passes, guard recovery, arm bars, taking the back, takedowns, takedown defense, submission defense, ground striking defense, setting up strikes from the top. you have to demonstrate the technique and break it down step by step. there's also a written test at the end of the class based on the material he teaches which you have to score a 90 or above on to pass. it sounds intimidating but you're obviously a hardcore fan and should be able to pick it up fast, not to mention they tell you what to study.

The first day is the judging portion and the second day is the referee portion. both have technique and written tests. you also don't have to take both classes but in order to referee you have to pass both.
pmoney
11/20/11 7:35:41PM
Judging by your record and accolades, you should make for an excellent MMA official! Congratulations man. I would say your record shows your knowledge of the sport more than any bias, but you are very smart in your request. Good luck in the future
Playground_Samurai
11/21/11 1:05:41AM
Good shit Bowen. It was awesome having you around. Good luck with everything
Bowen50
11/22/11 8:00:22PM
Thank you for all the support guys. Again, if any of you are interested in getting into judging and/or refereeing yourselves feel free to ask me any questions. Post them in this thread, send me a PM, or just ask me to PM you my email address.

Feel free to add me on facebook
Geoffo
11/22/11 9:23:44PM
Congratulations bro.
I'm sure the majority of MMA playground active users will make great judges or refs (minus the biases haha).

Good luck in the future! Hopefully we see you as Referee some day, but also.. hopefully we don't hear your name as a judge in the future.

Knowing a judge's name only leads to bad things... (Cecil Peoples)
cowcatcher
11/23/11 8:50:57AM
Very nice Bowen. I figured you would end up competing rather than being on the other side of the sport, but I'm not surprised that you're getting involved in the sport in some way or another. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll really do well. We will miss you around here.
jiujitsufreak74
11/23/11 2:13:12PM
I still haven't gotten over this, i'm extremely jealous haha. can't wait to see you on a UFC one of these days...at which point i will black out and snap viciously
Bowen50
11/23/11 2:58:29PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Very nice Bowen. I figured you would end up competing rather than being on the other side of the sport, but I'm not surprised that you're getting involved in the sport in some way or another. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll really do well. We will miss you around here.

I'm still going to actively train BJJ and compete in grappling tournaments. I don't have what it takes to fight MMA professionally but i want to be involved in the sport somehow. I just hope when it's all said and done i can walk away knowing i left the sport in better standing than i found it, and with a mentor like Herb Dean i'm sure it shouldn't be that challenging.
Bubbles
11/26/11 5:53:49PM
congrats! dont forget to wear a PG patch on your sleeve to advertise us