UFC 98's Frankie Edgar credits loss to Maynard for evolving his game

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 98's Frankie Edgar credits loss to Maynard for evolving his game
MMAcca
4/24/09 1:08:54AM
The mark of a great fighter isn't always found in victories. Many times it's how they respond to defeats.

UFC lightweight Frankie Edgar (9-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that a 2008 decision loss to Gray Maynard helped steer him in the right direction.

LINK
Gipper
4/24/09 1:20:24AM
maynard will be champ soon
wapttn
4/24/09 1:36:10AM
dont understand how you see him getting past penn, sherk, or sanchez
Pookie
4/24/09 2:10:14AM
i can see him outstriking Diego on the feet, and keeping it there the whole fight.
fizzle
4/24/09 4:03:04AM
Well when you run into a guy who is better at the one thing you're great at (wrestling)... i think typically either you just stop being a fighter or you evolve past being a wrestler in mma... we shall see which one Frank has done. I think Sherk is going to tool him though.
Pookie
4/24/09 4:08:10AM

Posted by fizzle

Well when you run into a guy who is better at the one thing you're great at (wrestling)... i think typically either you just stop being a fighter or you evolve past being a wrestler in mma... we shall see which one Frank has done. I think Sherk is going to tool him though.

it definitely is a tough match-up for the kid. Hopefully he got a little bigger, he's been relying on all technique to get as far as he has, if the kid packs on some muscle he could become the next sherk of the division, with better hands.

But yeah as an edgar fan this definitely is not the fight i wanted to see him get. Was hoping for diego.
theguido
4/24/09 8:55:36AM
If he losses which I think he will he should go tear up Feather weight in the WEC
tberg420
4/24/09 10:36:06AM
The credit should go to Maynard's wrestling > then Edgar's. I'm guessing that Frankie was completely overlooking Gray coming into that fight. Frankie was filming the MTV True Life: I'm an MMA Fighter and was preparing for his wedding as well. Too many side projects coming into that fight.
fizzle
4/24/09 1:28:48PM

Posted by Pookie
it definitely is a tough match-up for the kid. Hopefully he got a little bigger, he's been relying on all technique to get as far as he has, if the kid packs on some muscle he could become the next sherk of the division, with better hands.

But yeah as an edgar fan this definitely is not the fight i wanted to see him get. Was hoping for diego.

Yeah, I can't say i disagree. Edgar would have a better chance against Diego for sure. I see this fight ending up fairly similar to Griffen V Sherk.