UFC's First Set of Official Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC's First Set of Official Rankings
Poor_Franklin
2/4/13 11:11:17PM
Rankings were generated by a voting panel made up of media members. The media members were asked to vote for who they feel are the top fighters in the UFC by weight-class and pound-for-pound. A fighter is only eligible to be voted on if they are in active status in the UFC and a fighter can only appear in one weight division at a time. The champion and interim champion are considered to be in the top positions of their respective divisions and therefore are not eligible for voting by weight-class. However, the champions can be voted on for the pound-for-pound rankings.

UFC.com
prophecy033
2/4/13 11:19:21PM
Must not be mobile friendly
FastKnockout
2/4/13 11:28:13PM
I had a good laugh looking through the comments. The best one was the guy going ape shit over Weidman being #1 over Jacare and Jacre's record being better than Okami's and Weidman's.
Budgellism
2/4/13 11:42:23PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I had a good laugh looking through the comments. The best one was the guy going ape shit over Weidman being #1 over Jacare and Jacre's record being better than Okami's and Weidman's.

So many people commenting on these are just plain stupid.
tcunningham
2/4/13 11:58:08PM
there is a few i disagree with, but i think they are pretty good. i like that this is coming straight from the ufc.
Playground_Samurai
2/5/13 12:01:49AM

Posted by prophecy033

Must not be mobile friendly

yea that sucks.

Can anyone copy and paste? Please?
hashyandy4
2/5/13 12:06:26AM
Pound-for-Pound
Anderson Silva

Jon Jones

Georges St-Pierre

Jose Aldo

Benson Henderson

Cain Velasquez

Dominick Cruz

Demetrious Johnson

Frankie Edgar

Dan Henderson

Flyweight
Champion :Demetrious Johnson

Joseph Benavidez

John Dodson

Ian McCall

John Moraga

Jussier Da Silva

Louis Gaudinot

Chris Cariaso

John Lineker

Darren Uyenoyama

Ulysses Gomez

Bantamweight
Champion :Dominick Cruz

Renan Barao (Interim Champion)

Michael McDonald

Urijah Faber

Eddie Wineland

Brad Pickett

Brian Bowles

Rafael Assuncao

Scott Jorgensen

Mike Easton

Ivan Menjivar

Featherweight
Champion :Jose Aldo

Chad Mendes

Ricardo Lamas

Chan Sung Jung

Frankie Edgar

Dennis Siver

Cub Swanson

Dustin Poirier

Nik Lentz

Erik Koch

Clay Guida

Lightweight
Champion :Benson Henderson

Gilbert Melendez

Anthony Pettis

Gray Maynard

Nate Diaz

Jim Miller

Donald Cerrone

TJ Grant

Rafael dos Anjos

Joe Lauzon

Khabib Nurmagomedov

Welterweight
Champion :Georges St-Pierre

Johny Hendricks

Carlos Condit

Nick Diaz

Rory MacDonald

Demian Maia

Jake Ellenberger

Martin Kampmann

Josh Koscheck

Jon Fitch

Tarec Saffiedine

Middleweight
Champion :Anderson Silva

Chris Weidman

Vitor Belfort

Michael Bisping

Yushin Okami

Mark Munoz

Constantinos Philippou

Luke Rockhold

Hector Lombard

Alan Belcher

Tim Boetsch

Light Heavyweight
Champion :Jon Jones

Dan Henderson

Lyoto Machida

Alexander Gustafsson

Glover Teixeira

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Rashad Evans

Mauricio Rua

Phil Davis

Ryan Bader

Gegard Mousasi

Heavyweight
Champion :Cain Velasquez

Junior dos Santos

Fabricio Werdum

Daniel Cormier

Antonio Silva

Frank Mir

Alistair Overeem

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Roy Nelson

Stefan Struve

Shane Carwin

Hope that Helps P_S!!

Also, i really like these rankings, pretty accurate and set up nicely!!
MuayThaiGeek13
2/5/13 12:14:44AM
Gegard is #10 LHW

It's something
jae_1833
2/5/13 12:21:43AM
Yeah, I oppose to Melendez as the #2 as well....overall a really good ranking. Now lets see if they use this system to make realistic match ups that pan out to understandable title shots!
sparky
2/5/13 12:27:07AM
I'm glad the UFC finally decided to do this it helps us as the fans get an idea of how they as the promoter see the divisions.

I dont agree with it all, but for the most part good rankings
Travesty145
2/5/13 1:36:26AM
those guys r idiots. where the fuck is renato laranja? where is reggie warren jr? where is james toney? where the fuck am i?!?!?!
Poor_Franklin
2/5/13 1:44:29AM

Posted by Travesty145

those guys r idiots. where the fuck is renato laranja? where is reggie warren jr? where is james toney? where the fuck am i?!?!?!

Uchi Mata? Todd Kenueke? The list goes on & on
hotrodttt
2/5/13 5:15:09AM
No Jacarre? He should be on the mw list hands down, one loss to Rockhold in a close fight, the list is ok I suppose but I would change it just based off statistics. A ranking system shouldn't be made up on a panel of opinions.
Bythar
2/5/13 7:09:07AM
This is a bad idea for the UFC. They have rankings, so how are they going to justify fights that don't add up rankings wise e.g. Diaz against GSP instead of Hendricks? I assumed this was why they never had rankings and always talked badly about them.

Addendum: I just read some of the comments. This is some of the worst I've ever seen.
landstander
2/5/13 7:56:34AM
I think Glover is a bit high. I would have him about 8 or 7.
postman
2/5/13 10:25:58AM
Anyone else think Jon Jones #2 P4P is off? I know the guy is great but he hasn't been great as long as Jose and George. There are so many factors. I hate rankings.
jjeans
2/5/13 10:55:09AM

Posted by postman

Anyone else think Jon Jones #2 P4P is off? I know the guy is great but he hasn't been great as long as Jose and George. There are so many factors. I hate rankings.

I know what your saying but when you look at the champions in there divisions you could really argue a case for any of the p4p 5 to be in any order.

People base there P4P on different things, some people look at stacked divisions, contendership clearance, dominant performances or if size wasn't an issue who's the best.

I base it on the latter. And Upon which case I can see why Jones hasn't proven without reach he'd be the best fighter. I think Dan Henderson if based on Size wouldn't be that successful, you tell me how many 1 punch killers there are in MMA with average TDD and a solid chin
You could argue he's a LHW Dodson. I had Rashad ranked highly in my P4P before his loss to Jones because he out wrestled Davis, that to me would be able to best him against a lot of the WW division, and if he ended up on the feet he was quick, he felt as good as Edgar. I remember Fitch being in my top 5 at one point as well, JDS was champion, Fitch was grinding everyone P4P I saw no way JDS could beat a HW Fitch, then I saw the Hendricks fight and wow I was wrong
Currently Machida sits in my top 6th in front of Mighty Mouse, Cain, Cruz. Do I think he'd out point them all in a P4P fight, yes. Machida is a very unique fighter, however I have Barao above Machida because I think in a P4P fight Barao would be able to do a shogun in the first fight and kick the leg etc.

P4P is very interesting and very opinionated.

I am interested in what you rank yours on and what your rankings are.
Bustamante-Aoki
2/5/13 11:05:43AM
These are top ten contenders lists, not top-ten rankings.

The champ should be number one. not unlisted. Why did they do that?
BillsNewAccount
2/5/13 11:22:13AM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

Gegard is #10 LHW

It's something

Hahahaha

I know right? Bader got dropped and tapped by Tito and he is still ranked above Gegard.

Also, I may be in the minority here but I feel as though Chandler could beat everyone listed at LW. I know he is Bellator and will not be on the ranks regardless, just sayin.
Rabi
2/5/13 11:32:59AM
I didnt take part in this, Ive emailed the UFC and I hope to take part in the next one, Ill let you know if they get back to me.
postman
2/5/13 12:48:38PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by postman

I know what your saying but when you look at the champions in there divisions you could really argue a case for any of the p4p 5 to be in any order.

People base there P4P on different things, some people look at stacked divisions, contendership clearance, dominant performances or if size wasn't an issue who's the best.

I base it on the latter. And Upon which case I can see why Jones hasn't proven without reach he'd be the best fighter. I think Dan Henderson if based on Size wouldn't be that successful, you tell me how many 1 punch killers there are in MMA with average TDD and a solid chin
You could argue he's a LHW Dodson. I had Rashad ranked highly in my P4P before his loss to Jones because he out wrestled Davis, that to me would be able to best him against a lot of the WW division, and if he ended up on the feet he was quick, he felt as good as Edgar. I remember Fitch being in my top 5 at one point as well, JDS was champion, Fitch was grinding everyone P4P I saw no way JDS could beat a HW Fitch, then I saw the Hendricks fight and wow I was wrong
Currently Machida sits in my top 6th in front of Mighty Mouse, Cain, Cruz. Do I think he'd out point them all in a P4P fight, yes. Machida is a very unique fighter, however I have Barao above Machida because I think in a P4P fight Barao would be able to do a shogun in the first fight and kick the leg etc.

P4P is very interesting and very opinionated.

I am interested in what you rank yours on and what your rankings are.

Honestly I'm not sure the last time I did my rankings. I just looked at the and at the time my pound for pound was as follows. (by the way I wonder what I was thinking at the time)

Anderson
Fedor
Penn
GSP
Hendo
Shogun
Torres
Big Nog
Yamamoto
Eddie Alverez

However I am very much in the boat with you in that I think it needs to be first be based on if all things were equal. Followed by resume of who they beat and were they would be located on a larger p4p list.
prozacnation1978
2/5/13 2:27:56PM
Frankie number 9 pound for pound list
What bullshit!!!
Losing last three and a draw gets you on pound for pound list??

How the hell do u go #4 featherweight
And #9 pound for pound ??
Poor_Franklin
2/5/13 3:05:59PM

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

These are top ten contenders lists, not top-ten rankings.

The champ should be number one. not unlisted. Why did they do that?

this is actually the only thing about the rankings i dont like. the only reason i can guess as to why they did this is to give one extra person per weight class some name recognition.
Chael_Sonnen
2/5/13 3:35:29PM
You might as well write the LHW rankings backwards because that's about as much sense as it makes without CHAEL on top of them
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 4:00:29PM
No Mark Hunt???
bjj1605
2/6/13 1:01:19AM
Funny....

I don't see Anthony Pettis's name next to "#1" on Featherweight....

I don't see Chael Sonnen's name next to "#1" on Lightheavy...

I don't see Rashad Evans next to "#1" for Middle....

You get the point.
Pookie
2/6/13 10:12:38AM
Mark Munoz a consensus top 5 MW?

The fuck?
Poor_Franklin
2/6/13 2:48:14PM

Posted by Pookie

Mark Munoz a consensus top 5 MW?

The fuck?

technically Top 6