I'm Going To My First MMA Event Next Month!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I'm Going To My First MMA Event Next Month!
DCRage
9/22/08 10:01:42AM
It's not UFC or the like, but I'm still very excited about it-I just bought a ticket to UWC: Confrontation, October 11 at the Patriot Center in Vienna, VA. UWC is Ultimate Warrior Challenge, the only (I think) pro MMA promotion currently in the DC/MD/VA area, featuring both local and national talent. I already know at least 2 guys with UFC experience are on the card-Carmelo Marrero fights on the undercard and another one faces Rick Roufus in the Main Event. Sorry, but I can't say who it is yet-I know who it is but it might be a TUF 8 spoiler. I also heard that Urijah Faber will be there, Carlos Condit will probably be cornering as well, possibly Edwin Dewees too.
I got a $28.50 ticket (cheapest although fees & stuff pushed it up to $44) which should be floor seating. Probably towards the back seating of the area, it was this or arena seating in the middle. If anyone else in the area is going to attend send me a message, maybe we can meet up before the show! I'll be sure to do a full write-up for the Playground when I get back too!

Props to Luke Thomas, host of "MMA Nation" on WJFK and editor-in-chief of BloodyElbow.com for this, MMA Nation was how I learned about this and Faber being there. Probably won't get close to him since I couldn't afford to spring for a VIP package (ar least $128) but that's alright. I'm going to enjoy, and more importantly, to support MMA!
bullettdodger
9/22/08 10:16:40AM
Awesome news bro, you're really going to have an awesome time.
DCRage
9/22/08 10:35:14AM
Hope so, I've been hearing some good things about them and until UFC ever gets to around here (VA is a possibility at some point) this is the closest thing. And some good star power-I debated going for VIP packages to get close to Faber but I can't afford it now. The first fight should start at 6 PM, it's a 10 fight card. Also will be watching for the jui-jitsu champion Lloyd Irvin to be cornering some fighters, I think he has an academy in my hometown. Ditto for Renzo Gracie, he has a school in Baltimore.

FYI: May not be able to reveal the identity of the main event guy facing Roufus until after the show. It would be a TUF 8 spoiler-he's in the house. (Fought on the first episode) Ditto for another guy on the card, will know for sure after episode 2.

Here are the confirmed special guests so far:
Urijah Faber
Nate Marquardt
Carlos Condit
Mario Yamazaki (UFC referee)
Luke Thomas (host of "MMA Nation" on 106.7 FM WJFK in Washington, DC and editor-in-chief of BloodyElbow.com)

UWC also has some nice-looking ring girls. Will try and get pics.
emfleek
9/22/08 10:45:15AM

Posted by DCRage

Hope so, I've been hearing some good things about them and until UFC ever gets to around here (VA is a possibility at some point) this is the closest thing. And some good star power-I debated going for VIP packages to get close to Faber but I can't afford it now. The first fight should start at 6 PM, it's a 10 fight card. Also will be watching for the jui-jitsu champion Lloyd Irvin to be cornering some fighters, I think he has an academy in my hometown. Ditto for Renzo Gracie, he has a school in Baltimore.

FYI: May not be able to reveal the identity of the main event guy facing Roufus until after the show. It would be a TUF 8 spoiler-he's in the house. (Fought on the first episode) Ditto for another guy on the card, will know for sure after episode 2.

Yeah, anyone wanting to see who's fighting can do a Google search. It's rather easy to find the website.

Have fun, man!
JimiMak
9/22/08 4:50:19PM
Have fun. Live events and good fights are always a good time.
MMAcca
9/23/08 1:16:48AM
DCRage, he's not fighting anymore (the TUF8 contestant due to headline).

He's been replaced by Hector Ramirez

Hope you have a great time at the show still.

LINK
DCRage
9/23/08 6:46:08AM
Should still be a great fight, the local crowd probably will be disappointed because it's one fewer local talent on the card, which has been a big reason that UWC has been successful so far in the area-many matches feature one or both fighters from MD, DC, or VA schools/camps.
Branwest
9/23/08 3:29:39PM
Have fun. Hope your close. If I'm not really close, I'd much rather stay home, not stand in line to go piss, not pay 15$ for a drink, wait in many lines, etc.,etc., blah, blah, I'm lazy, blah, blah, better view at home, blah, blah. Seriously though, I hope your somewhat close, you should have a blast. I love going to events that I can't watch on tv, and only like going to ones that are televised if I have really good seats.
I hope your close enough to get hit with blood splatter!!
casey64
9/23/08 5:31:36PM
beans
DCRage
9/24/08 8:10:40AM

Posted by Branwest

Have fun. Hope your close. If I'm not really close, I'd much rather stay home, not stand in line to go piss, not pay 15$ for a drink, wait in many lines, etc.,etc., blah, blah, I'm lazy, blah, blah, better view at home, blah, blah. Seriously though, I hope your somewhat close, you should have a blast. I love going to events that I can't watch on tv, and only like going to ones that are televised if I have really good seats.
I hope your close enough to get hit with blood splatter!!

As far as close to home, it's reasonable. The arena (which is in the Vienna/Fairfax area) is a little over an hour from me. Seating-wise, I should be at ring/cage level but I likely won't know my exact location until I get there.
DCRage
9/25/08 6:45:15AM
Now that TUF 8 episode 2 has aired and I know the results, I can now reveal the identity of the TUF 8 fighters scheduled for this card: Ryan Lopez (eliminated) and Antwain Britt (out due to injury). There have been a couple other changes to the card, it now looks like this since I forgot to post it:
Undercard:
Middleweight: Shurron Thompson (Debut, former Marine) vs. Kris McCray (Debut)
Light Heavyweight: Cody Donovan (2-1, cornered by Nate Marquardt) vs. Wade Drake (Debut)
Welterweight: Levon Maynard (3-2) vs. Cody Johnson (6-2, cornered by Carlos Condit)
Middleweight: Tony Souza (5-2) vs. Ron Stalling (5-3-1)
Heavyweight: Johnny Curtis (1-1) vs. Brandan Schaub (1-0, cornered by Marquardt)
Middleweight: Marcus Foran (5-2, cornered by Condit) vs. Steve Sawyer (4-1)
Welterweight: Beau Baker (5-0) vs. TBA
Middleweight: Binky Jones (7-5, Bodog & EliteXC veteran & Baroni look-alike) vs. Kyle Baker (4-3)
Light Heavyweight: Carmelo Marrero (7-2, 3 UFC fights) vs. Ryan Lopez (5-2, TUF 8 contestant)
Bantamweight: Mike Easton (5-1, cornered by Brandon Vera & BJJ champion Lloyd Irvin) vs. John Dodson (5-2, appeared on TapouT)
Main Event: Antwain Britt (5-0, TUF 8 fighter) vs. Terry Cohen (3-1). It was to have originally been Britt vs. Rick Roufus.

I certainly like the variety in weight classes, every major class except Featherweight has some representation on the card. Marrero also helped get me into this because he was a name I recognized from his UFC time, so it lends a bit more star power to the event.
emfleek
9/25/08 8:56:40AM
In regards to the former TUF contestants fighting...you'd think the fighters would have to sign a Non-Compete Clause prior to signing on for the show.

I thought for sure they'd have to sign one saying they will not fight and/or compete until the last episode of TUF airs.
gartface
9/25/08 10:37:36AM
I just went to my first one man (UFC 88), it was a blast. I'm excited for you.
DCRage
9/25/08 12:36:17PM

Posted by emfleek

In regards to the former TUF contestants fighting...you'd think the fighters would have to sign a Non-Compete Clause prior to signing on for the show.

I thought for sure they'd have to sign one saying they will not fight and/or compete until the last episode of TUF airs.

I think they only can't talk about the show or leak spoilers and once they're eliminated or they know when that happens on TV, they're free to go about their business.
DCRage
10/9/08 2:36:40PM
48 hours until the card (hopefully I don't forget to print my ticket!) so I thought I'd make my fight predictions before the event, these of course are just for fun:
Joey Kirwan vs. Kris McCray: Both guys making pro debuts. McCray has a 1 inch height advantage, and I know nothing about them, so I'll go with him and make the alwys-safe UD pick.
Prediction: McCray by UD.

Cody Donovan vs. Wade Drake: Donovan's 2-1 and cornered by Nate Marquardt. Drake is making his pro debut. These are tall guys (Cody's 6'3", Wade's 6'1") but Donovan gets the clear nod over the local guy based on experience. Since that's how Donovan won his last fight, I'll predict an early ending by tapout.
Prediction: Donovan by Tapout, R1

Levon Maynard vs. Toby Johnson: Maynard is 3-2, won his last fight after dropping 2 straight. Johnson is 6-2 and cornered by WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit. These guys combined have 8 of their 9 wins by tapout, so I expect a good ground war here. Maynard probably will work for armbars, Johnson will go for the feet. Condit in the corner definitely gives Johnson an edge, and while I think Maynard will hold tough he'll wear down late and Johnson gets a heel hook or a triangle for the tap.
Prediction: Johnson by Tapout, R3

Tony Sousa vs. Ron Stalling: Sousa is 5-2 fighting out of American Top Team. Stalling is 5-3-1 fighting out of Maryland's Lloyd Irvin Martial Arts Academy. Stalling will have a big 3 inch height advantage and although I'm thinking TKO with that, his training with Irvin means he's probably got some fine jiu-jitsu to match. But I'm gonna take height over skill here and figure it'll help Stalling put Sousa down and out about midway through.
Prediction: Stalling by TKO, R2

Johnny Curtis vs. Brendan Schaub: Curtis is 1-1 (or 2-0 according to Sherdog) and was an All-American wrestler at George Mason University (where the event is being held). Schaub is 1-0 and cornered by Marquardt and is a former Golden Gloves Champ. This is a HW fight so I think it's gonna stay on the feet and could be a standup brawl, but Schaub being a GG champ means his standup and striking should not be taken lightly. The hometown crowd won't like this but I say that means Curtis is hitting the canvas hard and early as Schaub should put him down for 3 fairly quickly.
Prediction: Schaub by KO, R1

Marcus Foran vs. Chris Reedy: Foran is a UWC veteran, sporting a 2-1 record in the promotion, 4-2 overall. He's cornered by Condit. Reedy is 4-4 or 4-5 depending on who you ask. Although reedy has shown he's vulnerable to being TKO'd, he also has lost twice by tapout, which could favor Foran as he won his last fight by armbar. They're both good submission guys so I expect this to be a bit of a grapplefest but Foran will do just enough to grind out a decision.
Prediction: Foran by UD.

James "Binky" Jones vs. Kyle Baker: Binky is 7-6 but has won his last 3 and has also fought for BodogFight and EliteXC (he was on a prelim of the 5/31 CBS show). Baker is 4-3 or 1-3 again depending on source (Sherdog says 1-3). We're talking Lightweights here so I expect this to be an exciting, fast-paced fight that, based on these guys' records, probably won't go the distance. Binky is nicknamed "The Baltimore Submission Machine" for a good reason-5 wins by tapout. Combine that with Baker's 3 losses all being that way and this local guy should live up to his name and end it early with an armbar or kimura. And if he, or you, hears anyone shouting "Baroni!" at him, it's probably me. They do look alike.
Prediction: Jones by tapout, R1

Carmelo Marrero vs. Ryan Lopez: Marrero is 9-2, 1 NC, coming off a win in his last fight just a couple weeks ago. He's won 3 of 4 with a No Contest since his 1-2 stint in UFC. Lopez is either 5-2 or 6-4 and coming off competing on TUF 8. On paper, this is the matchup I'm most looking forward to because of big name recognition here and a UFC matchup in UWC. Looks to me like a classic striker vs. grappler matchup, and both fought just last month, and I see one of two outcomes here: Lopez ends it fast by KO/TKO or Marrero wears down Lopez and makes him tap. I'm gonna go with the latter in what should be a good fight.
Prediction: Marrero by tapout, R2

Mike Easton vs. John Dodson: Easton is 5-1 fighting out of Lloyd Irvin Academy. Dodson is 6-3. The penultimate match on the card is a Bantamweight showcase, and we know how the little guys are. These guys definitely seem to favor striking over grappling so it should be a hard-hitting main event appetizer. They're not gonna gas, that's for sure. I see this one going the way, and I'll let my local bias win and pick Easton in a close fight.
Prediction: Easton by UD.

Main Event: Antwain Britt vs. Tery Cohen: Britt is either 5-0 or 4-1 with the 1 loss, if it's the same guy, coming on the infamous showcase that was Yamma Pit Fighting. Britt was a TUF 8 contestant who got in the house but was kicked off due to injury. Cohen is 3-1, he dropped his last fight after winning his first 3 and supposedly won, according to Sherdog, a 23 round fight. (That can't be right) Cohen is 1-0 in UWC. A lot of Britt's performance to me will hinge on if he's fully recovered from the injury. If so, he'll probably swing for the fences on the feet. He needs to be careful though because Cohen does have 2 submission wins, but I have a feeling that Britt will vindicate his disappointing TUF sendoff and send the VA crowd home happy and put Cohen down hard and fast.
Prediction: Britt by KO, R1

I'll do a writeup when I get back from the card, and I'll see if I can take my camera and get some pics too.