Who's your Favorite/ Best Drummer ever ?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who's your Favorite/ Best Drummer ever ?
Next Page »
hotrodttt
1/16/08 10:20:31PM
Mine is Chris Adler , he was a bass player who took up the drumsand started tearing it up.

As the best drummer goes I would have to go with Virgil Donati

Tell me what you think
juanez13
1/16/08 10:29:04PM
i dont really like rock or metal, so i dont really know the best drummers and whatnot but my friends showed me this vid of a drum solo, it crazy

watch the whole thing, but make sure you watch from 5:38 and tell me that isnt fking crazy

LINK
puppetmaster837
1/16/08 10:39:47PM
Chris Adler is a good choice, but for my favorite im going to have to go with either Derek Roddy from Hate Eternal or Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy. And for the best i will go with the late John Bonham
LayinFrame
1/16/08 10:43:45PM
1. Neil Peart (rush) if you say anything like he sucks, your an idiot ;)
2. john bonham
Boo_Radley21
1/17/08 12:41:33AM

Posted by LayinFrame

1. Neil Peart (rush) if you say anything like he sucks, your an idiot ;)

He's my fav too.
three_days_of_grey
1/17/08 3:29:19AM
In no particular order;

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment
Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews Band
Dave Weckyl - Dave Weckyl Band
Vinnie Paul - (formerly) Pantera
Tim Alexander - Primus
Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix

-OUT-
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/17/08 8:17:33AM
1- Mike Portnoy (dream theater, liquid tension)
2- John Bonham (zeppelin)
3- Neil Peart (rush)
4- Vinnie Paul (PanterA)
5- Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)
6- Keith Moon (The Who)
rameydl8
1/17/08 8:59:02AM
joey-Slipknot ( cant remember his last name)

The rev- Avenged sevenfold

Watch joeys upside down solo on youtube....i would post it but im at school and its blocked here....so i may do it when i get home
Schizoidman
1/17/08 10:34:22AM
Bill Bruford - Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Peter Gabriel
Pat Mastelotto - King Crimson
Buddy Rich - Jazz drumming legend
Terry Bozzio - Zappa
ncordless
1/17/08 10:44:52AM
Tony Williams
DCRage
1/17/08 10:46:05AM
Alex Van Halen. No brainer.
scoozna
1/17/08 11:08:16AM
It's always a difficult question when you can't separate the awesome drummer from the awesome band (as in Rush/Led Zep).

1. Neil Peart
2. John Bonham
3. Buddy Rich

Then there's all those Drummers' drummers that have insane chops but I can't listen to for more than 15 minutes. Weckl, Donati, Bozzio, Wackerman, ...

A couple of drummers that I've discovered in recent years that are worth checking out (drummerworld.com): Benny Greb, JoJo Mayer, Keith Carlock.
Cladrix
1/17/08 11:12:14AM
I cant beleive no one has mentioned Danny Carey from Tool..... the man is a musical genius...... as far as the greatest........ Jon Bohnam.

So my top 3 would be.....

1. Jon Bonham
2. Neil Peart
3. Danny Carey
iwannabesedated
1/17/08 11:55:51AM
Keith Moon
Ordep
1/17/08 1:12:12PM
Danny Carey - Tool

best technique and odd timing out there
Smd277
1/17/08 1:58:42PM
neil peart x 1000000000000
roadking95th
1/17/08 4:15:24PM
I don't know a lot about drummers, but I've been told Dave Grohl has perfect timing and does everything pretty much on one take. Plus he is the drummer of my fav band!
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/17/08 4:44:13PM

Posted by roadking95th

I don't know a lot about drummers, but I've been told Dave Grohl has perfect timing and does everything pretty much on one take. Plus he is the drummer of my fav band!

Yeah Grohl is kind of not a drummer anymore tho... collaborates here and there but that's pretty much it. He was well timed in Nirvana and went really well along with the flow though, I must give you that
tlangley
1/17/08 5:59:33PM
I'm an ol' school Hip-Hop guy but... i'ma Travis Barker
LayinFrame
1/17/08 6:09:32PM

Posted by tlangley

Travis barker is a fantastic drummer, check out some of his solos on you tube. Im not big into rap or anything, but his solo for soulja boy is sick.
tlangley
1/17/08 10:33:40PM

Posted by LayinFrame

Posted by tlangley

Travis barker is a fantastic drummer, check out some of his solos on you tube. Im not big into rap or anything, but his solo for soulja boy is sick.

Soulja boy is not rap it is trash...i listen to real hiphop. I like when he collabed with west coast rapper The Game on a song called Compton. i seen it on aol or somthing... that was sick
Svartorm
1/18/08 1:59:26AM
Its hard to say who the best is with any instrument, just because styles are so different. My favs are:

Ægir Mikaelsson from Borknagar
Richard Christy from Death and Iced Earth
Gene Hoglan from Death, SYL, and the drummer for Dethklok on Metalocalypse
Believe-in-judo81
1/18/08 5:02:04AM
Svartorm Said Hoglan first, if there is a drummer on this planet better than Neil Peart, it's Gene Hoglan. Richard Christie is awesome too, he used to live about a 20 minute drive from me back in the day, used to see him at concerts etc. once in a while, but he hasn't been back here or even to St. Louis in ages. Someone said Flo Mounier too, another amazingly talented guy, ridiculously fast, and dead on timing.

My favorite besides Gene would probably have to be Gar Samuelsson, who was the original drummer for Megadeth, or Mike Smith from Suffocation. Gar was amazing, really sucks that by the time most people got a chance to hear him he was a full blown junkie and his playing had started to suffer horribly(and of course he died very soon after Megadeth started getting noticed). Mike Smith is just a beast, not only does he play damn well, but he looks mean doing it! Watching him at a live show you almost expect him to pound his kit to dust by the time the set is over. Immolation has always consistently had very good drummers too, and the way they mesh their guitar and drum sounds in the majority of their stuff just sounds incredibly cool.

Also a funny side note for the guy that mentioned Danny Carey from TOOL, who is also crazy good. My Cousin's Ex Husband was a classmate of Danny's while he was a student at the University of Missouri Kansas City school of music, and said even then he was amazing. Supposedly a pretty nice guy too. Small world I guess.

/rant
zephead
1/18/08 5:32:10PM
John Henry Bonham
Mastodon2
1/18/08 7:06:51PM
If we are talking purely in terms of Technical Facility, Death's other Drummer, Sean Reinert was miles ahead of Hoglan. Hoglan was good, espescially in Strapping Young Lad, where his simplistic, regimented style really fitted the music.

Peart is one of the best, even within a non-jazz setting his technical facility is obviously immensely developed.

Perhaps the single best drummer in terms of pure technical terms is Apt Q258. His dexterity is beyond anything I've heard from anyone else outside of India.
Svartorm
1/19/08 1:21:57AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

... Mike Smith from Suffocation. .... Mike Smith is just a beast, not only does he play damn well, but he looks mean doing it! Watching him at a live show you almost expect him to pound his kit to dust by the time the set is over.

The other cool thing about Mike Smith is hes completely self-taught, which is probably why he has such a unique style.
Believe-in-judo81
1/19/08 3:04:28AM
Haha, pretty good call Mastodon, I'm more of a Hoglan guy but Sean Reinert is a very underrated guy. Not to mention I absolutely love Human, My favorite album of there's after they got out of the old school Death metal thing and started getting more progressive. Suicide Machine and Flattening of Emotions= top tracks.

I don't think I knew Mike was self taught Svartorm, thanks for sharing that. If I'm home next time they play a show in the area I'll definitely have shake his hand and throw some extra praise his way! Suffo is such a killer live band, though it's still a shame that Terrence Hobbs left. Hopefully the guy they have in his spot on guitar now sounds solid live.
FeelTheJoy
1/20/08 1:15:51AM
1.joey jordison-crazy little guy
2.travis barker- dont like how he does some hip hop now. better when he was with blink 182.
hippysmacker
1/20/08 2:13:03AM

Posted by Ordep

Danny Carey - Tool

best technique and odd timing out there

I'm not a musician, but I have few friends who play drums, and they always brag on Tool's drummer. i have heard too many discussions about how cool it would be if he and Les Claypool were in a band together. I think you probably need to be a musician to fully comprehend it's significance.
monogl
1/20/08 3:48:04PM
John Dolmayan-System of a Down
Pages: [1] 2