Here's what I don't get about the UFC.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Here's what I don't get about the UFC.
POLL: What do you think?
Any UFC card will sell pretty well on PPV 56% (22)
Should've done a free card. 44% (17)
seanfu
6/7/08 4:52:12PM
Who really cares outside of us. Who in America is going to order an event where the main fight of the night (afternoon) is that one guy GSP beat twice (average "fan" speaking) fighting against that mexican looking Tigo Elvis, or whatever his weird name is.

Noone is going to order this card so WHY wasn't it free?

It makes way more sense to put it on Spike. Any free card on Spike is huge and will reel in numbers. Instead they put it on $80 or $135 or whatever rediculus price it is and get no buys.

I'm not sure how the money works when it comes to a free event but I can almost guarentee that they would make more money on Spike than PPV.

What do you guys think?

I'm disappointed to be honest because the cards matchups aren't bad but is it worth paying for?

I understand that cards will always sell but I feel like there is more value on free TV despite the finances.
Twenty20Dollars
6/7/08 5:10:45PM
There are other places to watch the PPV.

and this is a very solid fight cards, the match ups are so close that the fights could go either way. No reason this card should be free.

and his name is thiago alves.
seanfu
6/7/08 5:22:57PM
I agree with what you said and know that there are places, I always go to Buffalo Wild Wings with my friends and it's a good time.

And Thiago Alves is a good fighter but "fans" don't know who he is. This isn't just a thoughtless rant because I couldn't watch it or something. It's a rant because there are better ways to handle these kind of cards.

It's just that nothing makes sense about this IMO.

Plus I think it was only 2 weeks ago that the had a PPV.

I see this as being a major (bad) hit for the UFC. The fights aren't bad I'm sure but where is the drawing power coming from?

ohiostate1016
6/7/08 5:48:28PM
You don't make any sense. You say that the UFC would make more money on Spike, but then say that they should make the card free DESPITE the finances. It sounds to me that you just want a free event so that you don't have to pay for it. Typical. Go to a sports bar or something for find a free illegal stream on the net.

And Thiago Alves (who is from Brazil, by the way) is one of the best young fighters in the sport. The fact that you don't know makes me question a few things about you.
seanfu
6/7/08 5:58:12PM
No dude the 1st post was me being sarcastic in a way. The whole Hughes and Alves thing was me talking about a noobs thought of the event. I give up on this whole post, obviously all people are gonna do is hate instead of giving an oppinion of whether they thought is should or shouldn't be on PPV.

Forget the thread, move on, I give up.

I said I didn't know how the finances worked on a free event so I was arguing that win or lose in the finances they still would've had a really cool card for a free event.

Anyway, nothing to see here, every other post has to be me explaining myself so I don't care. Please just vote and move on. lol(WOW)
postman
6/7/08 6:26:15PM
I think the name matt hughes carries alot of weight to most ppl not just super fans but even the guy just finding the sport knows matt other then chuck I can't think of anyone more known then him.
bigbubbano23
6/8/08 12:46:01AM
first one i havn't seen i a while. and i could have. but somehow i think it's not worth $40.
Rush
6/8/08 10:30:21AM
If this helps at all, I know a manager a local bar. He loves MMA and tries to order the events every time. However, he has told me that when fights are in England, he only has a few people in the bar at 3pm. It may be different in other places, but bars (inside) are not busy in Toronto Sat. afternoons.

Now for those of you that don't know, it costs bars hundreds of dollars (he said over 600$) to show an event, not the 50$ we all pay. They need to buy a commercial licence. For him to show it, it's not worth it. Therefore he doesn't show the England events.
Ben_Hutch
6/8/08 10:45:06AM

Posted by seanfu

Who really cares outside of us. Who in America is going to order an event where the main fight of the night (afternoon) is that one guy GSP beat twice (average "fan" speaking) fighting against that mexican looking Tigo Elvis, or whatever his weird name is.

Noone is going to order this card so WHY wasn't it free?

It makes way more sense to put it on Spike. Any free card on Spike is huge and will reel in numbers. Instead they put it on $80 or $135 or whatever rediculus price it is and get no buys.

I'm not sure how the money works when it comes to a free event but I can almost guarentee that they would make more money on Spike than PPV.

What do you guys think?

I'm disappointed to be honest because the cards matchups aren't bad but is it worth paying for?

I understand that cards will always sell but I feel like there is more value on free TV despite the finances.

Wow you talk a whole bunch of sh*t.
Aaronno9
6/8/08 11:08:38AM
"Who really cares outside of us. Who in America is going to order an event where the main fight of the night (afternoon) is that one guy GSP beat twice (average "fan" speaking) fighting against that mexican looking Tigo Elvis, or whatever his weird name is."

That one guy being matt hughes? future hall of famer and prehaps the biggest name in the ufc outside chuck liddell? Unless you only got into mma within the last year you know matt hughes.
mrsmiley
6/8/08 8:05:40PM
I loved it was at the O2 arena,because I went to sherdog,read the results,went to the bar that night were they were playing it,and made great money betting against drunkards who knew no better!!!!!!!

JK
p_unit23
6/8/08 10:00:02PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I loved it was at the O2 arena,because I went to sherdog,read the results,went to the bar that night were they were playing it,and made great money betting against drunkards who knew no better!!!!!!!

JK

LOL. Nice one. I'm gonna do that next time they hold an event in England.
wiseguy7
6/8/08 10:15:26PM
Wow everything you have said, is right down the drain. You deon't know who alves is thats sad. You need to read up more and watch a little more ufc. alves could be champion one day.
rabbit915
6/8/08 11:39:49PM
Will people stop giving Seanfu crap about the Alves thing? He was impersonating the average fan who isnt going to know who he is. Read the post again and then see if it makes any sense.
89vision
6/10/08 12:35:43PM

Posted by wiseguy7

Wow everything you have said, is right down the drain. You deon't know who alves is thats sad. You need to read up more and watch a little more ufc. alves could be champion one day.

and shame on the haters
npayant
6/10/08 12:45:33PM

Posted by wiseguy7

He was being sarcastic as he said in a later post... Of course he knows who Alves is, but he was talking about the casual fan.

And NO...not every casual fan knows of Matt Hughes either... I was talking to my bro-in-law (who rarely watches MMA, but is a huge sports fan in general and watches ESPN daily) before the event and he asked me what bigs names were fighting... Even though I was sure he wouldn't know most of them, I told him Matt Hughes, Brandon Vera, Thiago Alves, Nate Marquardt, Werdum, etc and I stopped after I realized he knew NONE of them. Yes, that includes Matt Hughes. I said he'd probably recognize him if he saw him and I tried to explain who he was, but he couldn't put a face to it. Even though Hughes is huge in MMA, he hasn't been promoted like a Liddell. I haven't seen his face on ESPN, etc... He is definitely not well-known to the casual fan.

So in answering Sean's question... he's right, a lot of casual fans knew NOBODY on this card and it probably should have been a Spike event.

Just my opinion...
dannyfrank
6/10/08 8:10:13PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by wiseguy7

He was being sarcastic as he said in a later post... Of course he knows who Alves is, but he was talking about the casual fan.

And NO...not every casual fan knows of Matt Hughes either... I was talking to my bro-in-law (who rarely watches MMA, but is a huge sports fan in general and watches ESPN daily) before the event and he asked me what bigs names were fighting... Even though I was sure he wouldn't know most of them, I told him Matt Hughes, Brandon Vera, Thiago Alves, Nate Marquardt, Werdum, etc and I stopped after I realized he knew NONE of them. Yes, that includes Matt Hughes. I said he'd probably recognize him if he saw him and I tried to explain who he was, but he couldn't put a face to it. Even though Hughes is huge in MMA, he hasn't been promoted like a Liddell. I haven't seen his face on ESPN, etc... He is definitely not well-known to the casual fan.

So in answering Sean's question... he's right, a lot of casual fans knew NOBODY on this card and it probably should have been a Spike event.

Just my opinion...

a lot of people who are casual fans dont know hughes. my sister watches UFC and only knows about 4 fighters
dustyp
6/11/08 12:30:55AM
First you have to understand Liddel vs. Shogun was 1st main Shogun hurt his knee. so 2nd main Liddel vs. Evans.Then Liddel hurt his leg. 3rd attempt was James Irving vs. Evans . Irving messes up his knee. So as to get someone that wasnt ready or legit Lhw they dropped the fight. Which i think is better than sacrificing the integrity of a show . You put either one of these fights back on this card and it one hell of a ppv. I'd pay $50 bucks without a 2nd thought.

Also that Thiago Alves guy just beat down Karo The heat Parisyan( who is a 10ww) on the UFN 13 04/02/08 for all the world to see. So if a casual fan is ever going to rent a PPV i would think it would be when they see the guy they just saw on a free event demolish a guy.

When it is all said and done if it were a EX or strikeforce card everyone would be happy about it and talking about how they are better than UFC .

But I also feel that it should have been free and on network tv (preferably in place of the joke called SNF). In fact I want all the events free just like NBA or the NFL.
mkiv9secsupra
6/11/08 12:49:22AM

Posted by seanfu

im not understanding how millions of people not buying the PPV can make MORE money than millions of people buying the PPV....

you gotta understand whether there are good fights or not, over a million of the "average" fans are going to order it regardless