UFC on FX 5's Dennis Hallman heads home, paid show money and win bonus

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on FX 5's Dennis Hallman heads home, paid show money and win bonus
DrivenDavies15
10/4/12 9:04:17PM
Despite missing weight for a planned UFC on FX 5 matchup with Brazilian grappler Thiago Tavares (17-4-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC), a bout that UFC officials ultimately elected to scrap before either fighter ever stepped on the scale, Hallman said he has been paid his show and win money for the bout and has received the full support of UFC President Dana White.

"I am on my way home," Hallman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I have some serious personal family matters that I am dealing with. That is why the fight isn't taking place."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad I have a better idea of what's going on, he says he has Dana's full support so it must be pretty important.
Budgellism
10/4/12 9:08:46PM
Well thanks Ariel Helwani for reporting that the fight was cancelled entirely because Hallman missed weight. Now I look like a dick for bashing the guy today.
BuffaloDave
10/4/12 9:27:44PM

Posted by Budgellism

Well thanks Ariel Helwani for reporting that the fight was cancelled entirely because Hallman missed weight. Now I look like a dick for bashing the guy today.

Hallman fired back at HellaNoseWani for saying it was because of his weight, the nose then said he would have Hallman's story up a little later.
FastKnockout
10/4/12 9:42:51PM
Well, he missed weight in his last fight too but if his family issue is as severe as everyone's making it out to be, he shouldn't fight. I'm just curious as to what it is. Serious enough to screw with making weight but apparently not serious enough to warrant skipping the weigh ins entirely.
pmoney
10/4/12 9:58:18PM

Posted by Budgellism

Ditto
kopower
10/4/12 10:08:29PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Well, he missed weight in his last fight too but if his family issue is as severe as everyone's making it out to be, he shouldn't fight. I'm just curious as to what it is. Serious enough to screw with making weight but apparently not serious enough to warrant skipping the weigh ins entirely.

People were speculating it had to do with his 15 year old son having a cage fight earlier in the week. Who knows for certain though. At the weigh ins, we were wondering why they didn't step on the scale. Hallman was walking around with his street clothes on, and didn't look happy. Guess we know why now.
DrivenDavies15
10/4/12 10:26:45PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure he didn't even go to the weigh ins. His fight didn't show up at any time during it and Tavares didn't come out either.
kopower
10/4/12 10:30:37PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Posted by FastKnockout

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure he didn't even go to the weigh ins. His fight didn't show up at any time during it and Tavares didn't come out either.

I'm 99% sure I saw him there walking around, but he never stepped on the scale. They didn't even announce the fight was cancelled at the weigh ins.
Cooler
10/4/12 10:34:37PM
Word on the street is Hallman is also cut from Zuffa.
Budgellism
10/4/12 10:39:11PM

Posted by Cooler

Word on the street is Hallman is also cut from Zuffa.

That's what Junkie's reporting now.

LINK
Samps
10/4/12 10:45:59PM
What is going on here?
kopower
10/4/12 11:07:16PM
Helwani interviewed him and he confirmed to him that he was cut
Sir_Karl
10/4/12 11:10:40PM
Who knows what is really going on. You can't trust the "word on the streets" or piss poor MMA journalism either. I am sure we will find out the truth in due time.
Cooler
10/4/12 11:14:24PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Who knows what is really going on. You can't trust the "word on the streets" or piss poor MMA journalism either. I am sure we will find out the truth in due time.

Are you kidding? he is clearly cut for missing weight twice in a row and you could also say he is being cut for his wardrobe malfunction. What else could it be, especially if the 7 pounds overweight rumor is true, that would be grounds for cancellation, a lot of fighters would say no to that and all signs lead to this conclusion unless it is just a crazy story behind it. Why else would they completely take the fight off the table? because Tavares didn't accept the fight because Hallman couldn't get down far enough.
kopower
10/4/12 11:15:01PM
Here is Ariel Helwani's interview with him right after the weigh ins. He reported it first I believe.

Link

According to Hallman he passed out earlier today while cutting weight. At that time, he was two pounds over the 156-pound weight limit. He was then given fluids via an intravenous, which bumped him up to seven pounds over the lightweight limit.
FastKnockout
10/4/12 11:21:43PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Posted by FastKnockout

He was still trying to make weight.
Samps
10/5/12 12:09:05AM
If he missed weight, then why would Dana give him his win bonus? Let alone fight bonus
bjj1605
10/5/12 12:47:15AM
This is very strange.

So he missed weight because of some family issues. Dana clearly thought they were a good enough excuse to pay him his fight pay AND win bonus.

Yet somehow it wasn't a good enough excuse to keep his job...

I'm interested to see if they ACTUALLY pulled the fight or if Tavares refused to take it.

It looks to me like they pulled it, other wise Dana wouldn't be paying him.
jlock003
10/5/12 2:07:16AM
Props to Dana for treating a fighter who really doesn't draw any money for him like a real person and making sure Hallman and his family don't lose any meals over this situation.
Poor_Franklin
10/5/12 5:15:06AM
aussiemma
10/5/12 7:58:27AM

Posted by Samps

If he missed weight, then why would Dana give him his win bonus? Let alone fight bonus

he had some kind of personal family matter so in order of the ufc to not look like assholes they give him a severance pay....he is cut apparently.
airkerma
10/5/12 9:58:47AM
I hope nobody died. "Serious family issues" can mean a whole range of terrible things in my book.
prozacnation1978
10/5/12 11:37:14AM
I don't know how family matters gets you cut from the Ufc
If he comes back he needs to stay at
frizzzlecake
10/5/12 6:03:59PM
So his family matter's were serious enough from him to train 40+ hours a week but not fight? Something doesn't add up, I hope everything clears up.

Thanks Hallman for becoming Ballman!
moob
10/5/12 7:20:36PM

Posted by Budgellism

Maybe there's a lesson there...
Gogoplatapus
10/7/12 3:41:25PM
Frank Trigg X Dennis Hallman interview

this could add some clarity, kiddies.
cowcatcher
10/7/12 10:57:55PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Frank Trigg X Dennis Hallman interview

this could add some clarity, kiddies.

I would have been fine if he had wanted to keep it to himself, but after hearing what was really going on, I give him credit for coming out with it, and I can't blame him for missing weight and not fighting.