What's Next for Cro cop? Arlovski? Sylvia??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What's Next for Cro cop? Arlovski? Sylvia??
BabyHughes
2/4/07 9:45:31PM
I was talking to some of my friends about Cro cop's future in the UFC. After dominating Eddie Sanchez, which I expected, I think that the UFC will give him 1 more warm up fight before fighting Sylvia. Why do I think he will fight Sylvia before fighting Arlovski? Because if he fought Arlovski next, I think it would be a great fight, but I would put my money on a 2nd round KO by Cro Cop. This would make Arlovski vs. Cro Cop (as the HW champ) less powerful than if he didn't fight Arlovski til after he wins the belt. Also Because the fans still favor Arlovski more than Sylvia and would rather have him as the UFC heavyweight champion...this is obvious in fight polls, forums, and the many boos from the crowd gives Sylvia during and after fights. I think Cro Cop vs. Arlovski for HW title will sell alot better than Sylvia vs. Cro Cop. At least, I hope this happens... What do you guys think will happen?
gspfan31
2/4/07 10:33:52PM
there's a rumor that cro cop is fighting chiek kongo at ufc 70
jmoooooo
2/4/07 11:14:38PM
chiek kongo makes the most sense...especially for kongo. he was the up and commer that everyone was watching until he got dismantled by a wrestler. having a striking war would allow kongo to redeem himself if he shows well, put him back in the running even, and it would also give crocop the opportunity to display a little more for the fans. UFC fans who dont know much about crocop would not have been terribly impressed by last nights performance, but its hard to look good when your opponent is constantly running away.

in the meantime, however, arlovski has to fight someone.........if hes not fighting sylvia or crocop in the near future, the UFC is going to have to put someone else in front of him, although i dont think it will be tough competition, as they seem to want to build him up again (as they are doing with franklin/hughes)

will be interesting to see what the UFC comes up with for that division.
gspfan31
2/4/07 11:21:13PM

Posted by jmoooooo

chiek kongo makes the most sense...especially for kongo. he was the up and commer that everyone was watching until he got dismantled by a wrestler. having a striking war would allow kongo to redeem himself if he shows well, put him back in the running even, and it would also give crocop the opportunity to display a little more for the fans. UFC fans who dont know much about crocop would not have been terribly impressed by last nights performance, but its hard to look good when your opponent is constantly running away.

in the meantime, however, arlovski has to fight someone.........if hes not fighting sylvia or crocop in the near future, the UFC is going to have to put someone else in front of him, although i dont think it will be tough competition, as they seem to want to build him up again (as they are doing with franklin/hughes)

will be interesting to see what the UFC comes up with for that division.

i'd like to see aa fight a.silva, the only other option is heath herring, heath is rumoured to be on the ufc 69 card
Trapt1nw0nder
2/4/07 11:44:12PM
a great fight would be against Antoni Hardonk ......Battle of the leg kicks!

but it wont do as good in sales so it wont happen :(......

i dought it would be Arlovski.....arlovski is a good opponent for after CroCop gets the belt.....(their not gonna throw one of be top contenders to the back of the line again)

Kongo...Antoni.....Gonzaga.....maybe even Jake O'Brien........or Heath Herring.....lol..might as well just mention every heavyweight

money wise...and fighter wise....Heath Herring makes the most sense
jmoooooo
2/4/07 11:46:12PM
Herring doesnt make much sense for CroCop. His first fight in the ufc was crap. How would they hype that?
gspfan31
2/4/07 11:47:40PM

Posted by jmoooooo

Herring doesnt make much sense for CroCop. His first fight in the ufc was crap. How would they hype that?

i was saying herring for aa
jmoooooo
2/5/07 12:17:23AM
even that doesnt make sense. after herrings showing why should he get a shot at arguably the #2 or #3 in the division.......
gspfan31
2/5/07 12:19:18AM

Posted by jmoooooo

even that doesnt make sense. after herrings showing why should he get a shot at arguably the #2 or #3 in the division.......

well who do you think they should put aa against
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 12:19:55AM

Posted by jmoooooo

i just dont think they're gonna throw any " up and comer" under the train against CroCop....they all need easier fights to improve their game

Styles make fights....Herring vs CroCop will be a standup war..... CroCop is not gonna take Herring down and hold him there till he wins.....

besides...they usually throw fighters like Herring(losing..win or go home) at Top contenders....to tell you the truth Herring has a better chance against someone who will stand with him than wrestlers.....they didnt pay Herring for nothing to come to the UFC....
mrsumo
2/5/07 12:51:36AM
Herring v Cro Cop would make sense in that they are both pride guys. I know Herring had a poor showing at his ufc debut but he is still a great fighter with a pretty good record. Plus pitting them against eachother would put a loss on the record of a new to the UFC guy. If all of these Pride imports come to the ufc and start dominating the ufc fighters, that is going to tell some fans that maybe pride has the better fighters. Put them together and all of a sudden half of them have losses in the ufc under their belt.
jmoooooo
2/5/07 12:54:59AM
standup war...see my previous post....chiek kongo -

he has a history in the UFC

fans know who he is

they have a better chance of promoting that fight than herring. the same UFC fans who didnt know (and still dont, really) who crocop is know even less about herring. so unless they are going to put it on a fight night card i dont see it happening.

and as far as not throwing a nobody at crocop.....they pretty much did that last night. but heres one i didnt think of....brandon vera still has 1 fight remaining on his contract - maybe they feed him to crocop as punishment for being greedy
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 1:13:01AM

Posted by jmoooooo

fans know who he is

they have a better chance of promoting that fight than herring. the same UFC fans who didnt know (and still dont, really) who crocop is know even less about herring. so unless they are going to put it on a fight night card i dont see it happening.

and as far as not throwing a nobody at crocop.....they pretty much did that last night. but heres one i didnt think of....brandon vera still has 1 fight remaining on his contract - maybe they feed him to crocop as punishment for being greedy

they punished Sanchez for talking shit...."i said.....if i land my right hand,on ANYBODY in the UFC....they're going down!"......so if he's gonna talk big shit like if he is ready for anyone....why not feed him to CroCop?

now it makes sense to punish Herring for paying to bring him over here
jmoooooo
2/5/07 2:00:07AM
i was only replying to your statement that they wont throw an up and comer against him. sanchez was an up and comer.
BabbyHughes
2/5/07 2:15:16AM
I think Dana White is probably going to build Herring up another couple of fights before he even thinks about having him fight the #1 contender. Like any HW that the UFC thinks has title contention, they will have that HW fight someone who isn't known very well, because of the small amount of HW talent. Since Herring is pretty well known, i think they'll showcase him a little more. It would be interesting if they had him fight Arlovski if he wins a couple more fights.

I think that would be interesting. I think that guy is impressive, and its good to see some more kickboxers coming to the UFC. Also, who doesn't like HW kickers?
strikefirstgear
2/5/07 2:43:41AM

Posted by jmoooooo

fans know who he is

Great point! Vera vs Crocop would be one to see. Not sure they will do that though. They may want to keep their options open. I can see them throwing Obrien or maybe Gabriel Gonzaga at Cro Cop. Then a title fight.

I think we are gonna to see someone like Kongo fight Herring next.
jmoooooo
2/5/07 2:58:36AM
kongo/herring would be a good fight too.

see what adding 2 fighters to the division does? im excited about that division now for the first time...ever..i think
hippysmacker
2/5/07 4:42:19AM
I say etiher Kongo necause he looks the part, and would stand with Cro-cop. Or, O'Brien to teach him LnP doesn't always work.
madmarck
2/5/07 10:09:11AM
Not AA. The UFC doesnt want to destroy this guy everyone loves him. Most likely another Sacrififacl lamb. This time one who is a little better know. I heard Cheick Kongo. Not Herring.
Manfred
2/5/07 10:30:42AM

Posted by madmarck

Not AA. The UFC doesnt want to destroy this guy everyone loves him. Most likely another Sacrififacl lamb. This time one who is a little better know. I heard Cheick Kongo. Not Herring.

I agree. Also if AA managed to beat CC, then what AA/Silva IV? God help us. Better to save AA/CC unitl after CC takes the title.
aceprone
2/5/07 12:57:25PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

but it wont do as good in sales so it wont happen :(......

i dought it would be Arlovski.....arlovski is a good opponent for after CroCop gets the belt.....(their not gonna throw one of be top contenders to the back of the line again)

Kongo...Antoni.....Gonzaga.....maybe even Jake O'Brien........or Heath Herring.....lol..might as well just mention every heavyweight

money wise...and fighter wise....Heath Herring makes the most sense

I think Antoni Hardonk would be awsome! I really just want to see Cro Cop beat the crap out of everyone in the UFC heavy weight division and then unify the belt with Fedor. (I realize I've said this a couple times already, but it's my dream and I can't give up on it!)
pv3Hpv3p
2/5/07 1:13:29PM
CroCop v Kongo would be exciting, but why don't they just put him up agaisnt Big Tim for the belt right away?

They did it with A.Silva, CC doesn't garner as much respect?
aceprone
2/5/07 2:23:45PM
Well the UFC just might do that, we don't really know. If they put him against Tim right away, I'd have no problem with that at all! But I think Cro Cop wants to feel at home more and he might want one other fight before a title shot. Who knows, but it will happen!
BabbyHughes
2/5/07 4:20:52PM

CroCop v Kongo would be exciting, but why don't they just put him up agaisnt Big Tim for the belt right away?

Yeah, Kongo would also be an interesting match up for Cro Cop. I think that fight would showcase Cro Cop's talent well.

They might, I wouldn't doubt if they do, but I think it might build the fight more if they have him fight Kongo or Hardonk first.
JerkmanForever
2/5/07 4:28:37PM
They might put him up for a title shot right away but more likely will give him someone like kongo just so they can have cro cop built up better and sell the sylvia cc fight better, and then when it comes time for AA to fight CC, CC will be even more well known so they can really sell that fight. As long as cro cop keeps fighting im happy.
shawneth
2/5/07 7:17:08PM
I say put Cro Cop against Vera. When he beats Vera, he can get an automatic titleshot because VEra was a contender. It would also be a wonderful parting gift for Vera seeing how he is leaving the UFC. Dana gets his revenge, I dont think they want to ruin Arlovski's comeback after his Sylvia loses.
BabbyHughes
2/6/07 12:21:57AM
I am disapointed with Vera, i know that MMA fighters are underpayed, but I dont think you should get a champions paycheck without being one. I think he will come back eventually, but he will just sit back for a while until he gets over himself. It would be good to see him fight again, because he is so young and has alot of talent.... In the future, I think he should go to Light Heavyweight. I'm sure he could cut to LHW.