I can't believe Brandon Vera....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I can't believe Brandon Vera....
« Previous Page
Trapt1nw0nder
2/11/07 11:54:35PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Regardless of the math of how much 200k ends up being over however many years; the point is Brandon Vera doesn't deserve 200k. He hasn't beaten anyone who is regarded as a top 10 fighter so you tell me why he deserves to make money like Chuck Liddell?

because Brandon Vera is an exciting skilled HW....where most HWs are very boring and they really need excitment in that division
BabbyHughes
2/12/07 12:25:13AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

i think Brandon Vera is very good fighter and i think its Dana who is greedy...lets just say a average ppv sells is 20 million for each PPV event....Dana is dishing out less than 700K for all the fighters all together who fought that night...the new Gary Shaw Production of MMA fights(elitexc) is only gonna make dana dish out bigger bucks and be fair with the fighters..

Plus..who knows how much money the UFC makes in Advertising(something boxing dont do and still pay top fighters millions)

$200K must be chump change for what Gary Shaw is offering cuz if Gary Shaw was offering just a little more im sure Brandon would rather fight for the UFC which has much stronger fan base

Dana White

...and im not just saying Brandon should be paid the big bucks...i am speaking for all they all need much more money than what Dana is paying them...

Travis Lutter 20K..????
Frank Edgar...6K..????

come on..they need more respect than that!

(Copy/Paste of something i posted in the news section)

I agree fighters should get paid alot more for fighting in MMA. I think that the lowest someone should ever get paid for a fight in the UFC is 50k. Even if that "50k" is all that is reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, not counting all the bonuses, purses, sponsorships, whatever..

It is the UFC , so fighters should make alot more. After they prove themselves, then more money should be coming their way.
JoeMimic
2/12/07 1:05:40AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JoeMimic

Regardless of the math of how much 200k ends up being over however many years; the point is Brandon Vera doesn't deserve 200k. He hasn't beaten anyone who is regarded as a top 10 fighter so you tell me why he deserves to make money like Chuck Liddell?

because Brandon Vera is an exciting skilled HW....where most HWs are very boring and they really need excitment in that division

MMA hasn't made it into the realm of other pro sports on paying their talent based on potential. Vera is exciting for a heavyweight and is very skilled but he is not a Top 10 HW and doesn't deserve to be paid as such.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/12/07 1:45:23AM
I think Vera is an idiot for not taking that deal. (could he be scurd of CC and Tim Silvia???) And it just goes to show how committed the UFC is to bring in/keep in their eyes heavy wieght contenders to bolster a lacking division.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 1:51:24AM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JoeMimic

MMA hasn't made it into the realm of other pro sports on paying their talent based on potential. Vera is exciting for a heavyweight and is very skilled but he is not a Top 10 HW and doesn't deserve to be paid as such.

UFC are not gonna offer Brandon 200K per fight if they didnt see a potential Top HW contender or even champ

he is young and he is learning and he is a big guy who really does fights like a "HW GSP" as they say...what other HW have you seen with a clinch and Knees like Anderson Silva?

hippysmacker
2/12/07 1:54:48AM

Posted by waylon_o

In every Brandon Vera interview that I've ever read, he talked about money in every single one. I've read interviews with people and they mention money, but he talks about it in EVERY interview. Him asking for more money than the champions make is insulting to them and everyone else involved. IF, and that's a big IF, he really was offered that much money to fight, that organization won't see the middle of the summer.

Exactly, I've heard 2 and read 1 interview. $ was his focus. This guy has never beat a top 10 HVY, and I think he wanted a fat signing bonus, so when he lost to Sylvia , he'd have a nest egg. We will never now how good he really is if he fight's in EliteXC. Unless he's in Pride/UFC he's not gonna be fighting anybody top 10 anytime soon. I think the UFC was offering him too much as it is. As funny as it would be to watch cro-cop kick his head in , I'd rather they darkmatch against Tank. That right bring him back just or this. If he beats a guy with a losing record no prestige. If Tank lands that big right before he gasses, Nighty-night Vera. Win -win in my book. I think Gary Shaw has lost his mind, and makes the WFA look financially responsible.
pv3Hpv3p
2/12/07 6:51:05AM
I think a lot of people are missing the point...

And who in their right mind wouldn't take 1.5mil + to fight? I understand that the UFC needs HW's, and Vera is an exciting fighter, but how can people say he is just in it for the money, and forgotting about some kind of honor or not wanting to be champ?

He is securing a good living for himself and his family, he is doing what any of us would do. Let's not be hypocritical...
hippysmacker
2/12/07 7:18:56AM
I see your point. I just disagree. Signing with an unproven company that may not last long is meaningless if they go outta business. 200,000 per fight is almost as much as Sylvia makes from his new contract, I have no idea what they offered him for a signing bonus. I heard in the past it was a million , but who knows. Also, 1.5 million to sign and 1 million per fight seem to be inflated figures to me, that would make him the highest paid guy in MMA. Over, Chuck, Fedor, Cro-cop, Wandy, who are the highest paid per fight average I know of . Dave meltzer's info is usually good, but I think there has to be an error. Gary Shaw actually made a point on beatdown radio to say he would not negotiate with any fighter currently under contract with another org. If he actually is making this offer he is not only a fiscally irresponsible bussiness man, but a liar also.
madmarck
2/12/07 7:54:17AM

Posted by roadking95th

One problem Madmarck.

According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestlingobserver.com, the UFC offered Brandon Vera $200,000 guaranteed per fight, with much more if he wins the title and headlines Pay Per Views.

So, at a minimum, he gets $600,000 per year, assuming at least 3 fights per year and he doesn't headline and doesn't win the title.

Wow. 200k per fight seems pretty far fetched. Tito makes that. Randy mkaes that. Chuck does too. Thats about it (maybe GSP with his new contract). I cant see Vera being the 2nd highest paid HW in the UFC. Espically since he hasnt impressed anyone overally yet. Yes he is a good fighter. But he hasnt beat a top 10 guy yet.
I cant see any guy like Vera turning down 200k a fight. This guy must have got a really really nice deal from whereever else it came. IMO this guy is getting overpaid if he gets 50k a fight. I think he should get 30k a fight makes.
madmarck
2/12/07 7:57:00AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

And who in their right mind wouldn't take 1.5mil + to fight? I understand that the UFC needs HW's, and Vera is an exciting fighter, but how can people say he is just in it for the money, and forgotting about some kind of honor or not wanting to be champ?

He is securing a good living for himself and his family, he is doing what any of us would do. Let's not be hypocritical...

Including Sponsors he was making 70k a fight. Thats not bad. Considering he is newly married and only 26. So if you think about it. This guy is making anywhere from 140-210k a year. Not bad for a Kid. With no kids. Im gonna say that he was getting a fairly good life for him and his wife.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 8:08:16AM
i disagree with all of you...Vera is doing what every other fighter should do

Dana sitting pretty on millions untouched..unharmed..and the people that are risking their lives are getting chump change!

of course Brandon is not worth 1.3 per fight right now...but Dana should be paying these fighters at least triple of what they are getting right now!

i predict that is exactly what is gonna happen by the end of this year.

...it really sucks that Brandon wont be in the UFC...i really am a big fan of him and love the way he fights.....HW Anderson Silva...he even moves like his while striking light on his feet
pv3Hpv3p
2/12/07 8:36:17AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Including Sponsors he was making 70k a fight. Thats not bad. Considering he is newly married and only 26. So if you think about it. This guy is making anywhere from 140-210k a year. Not bad for a Kid. With no kids. Im gonna say that he was getting a fairly good life for him and his wife.

Vera was born in 1977 that would make him going on 30, not 26... Regardless of what someone is making right now, be it 30 G's or 130 G's, wouldn't you want to make more if the opportunity presented itself?

Was CroCop wrong for leaving Pride for more $$$? No I don't think so and I was excited to see him come to the UFC. I know that the UFC needs Vera in their HW division, but that is no reason to ignore the logic of his decision. That kind of money is very dificult to pass up.

And seeing the UFC in need of HW's he is in a very good position to negotiate a great deal for himself
madmarck
2/12/07 8:52:13AM
My bad. i thought Vera was younger. I checked and he is 29 i think. Soon 30. but if he is getting 200k a fight from the UFC and he turned it down how is that not making a great living for himself and his wife? thats 400k a year not incuding sponsrs. This guy could make over half a mil a year in the UFC with that proposed contract. Now thats a pretty dam good life for himself and his wife. I cant see him turnign that contract down.
Does anyone have a offical source for this offer?
Or is there any word on what his offer was from the other org (showtime??)???
hippysmacker
2/12/07 8:59:08AM

Posted by madmarck

My bad. i thought Vera was younger. I checked and he is 29 i think. Soon 30. but if he is getting 200k a fight from the UFC and he turned it down how is that not making a great living for himself and his wife? thats 400k a year not incuding sponsrs. This guy could make over half a mil a year in the UFC with that proposed contract. Now thats a pretty dam good life for himself and his wife. I cant see him turnign that contract down.

Found this at UFC junkie. If this is true, and Meltzer usually is, Shaw is ouuta his gourd IMO. Also, Vera fought 4 times in a 13 month period in hid last 4 fight's . 800k in a little more than a year not even counting sponsors.

According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestlingobserver.com, the UFC offered Brandon Vera $200,000 guaranteed per fight, with much more if he wins the title and headlines Pay Per Views.
Brandon Vera and his camp shot back with a demand of a $1.5 million signing bonus with seven figures guaranteed per fight on a three fight deal, which was the same amount offered by Gary Shaw of Elite XC, as soon as Vera’s contract expires in September. The UFC thought the offer was laughable and turned it down without any thought at all. Gary Shaw did confirm to Meltzer the figures were accurate.
pv3Hpv3p
2/12/07 9:04:59AM

Posted by madmarck

You're right it was a hell of a deal from the UFC, I guess he's just weighing his options... Stay and fight for a little cheaper (but still a respectable amount) in a rapidly growing org with a very bright future or go to some new start up place that offers more money from the get go, but no long term promises.

I agree it's a tough decision, and if he was younger I would probably go with the UFC offer, but maybe he doesn't feel like he has too many fights in him, or maybe he doesn't feel he can stand up to the level of competition the UFC offers, or he wants to cut to 205 and they make him stay at HW... These are all just speculation, but it could be any number of things...

I don't know if he's making the wrong or right choice, but I don't think there is anything wrong in geting a big payday, it's probably what I would do, so I can't say too much bad about it.
roadking95th
2/12/07 10:12:53AM
Let's get one thng straight, all of us would take the bigger contract. I am not disappointed in the UFC in their offer. I don't think too many people begrudge Vera for possibly taking more money, I think everyone is irratated that ALL Vera ever talks about is money. From day one, it has been money. He wants it like the NFL. These young guys, with potential, come in and demand getting paid like stars for doing nothing yet. They make more than the solid veteran who has been around. Then, it turns out, half of them were never better than that veteran and basically stole bread of his table.

Put simply, prove it Vera, then they'll pay. And the UFC will pay, ask Cro Cop.
Sagat_GSP12
2/12/07 10:16:16AM
Vera had to know UFC would laugh at that counter offer which makes him even dumber because according to Shaw's interview fighters signed with Elite XC have the ability to still fight for promotions other than Elite. Why burn that bridge?
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/12/07 1:14:50PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I see your point. I just disagree. Signing with an unproven company that may not last long is meaningless if they go outta business. 200,000 per fight is almost as much as Sylvia makes from his new contract, I have no idea what they offered him for a signing bonus. I heard in the past it was a million , but who knows. Also, 1.5 million to sign and 1 million per fight seem to be inflated figures to me, that would make him the highest paid guy in MMA. Over, Chuck, Fedor, Cro-cop, Wandy, who are the highest paid per fight average I know of . Dave meltzer's info is usually good, but I think there has to be an error. Gary Shaw actually made a point on beatdown radio to say he would not negotiate with any fighter currently under contract with another org. If he actually is making this offer he is not only a fiscally irresponsible bussiness man, but a liar also.

Elite XC just got owned
JoeMimic
2/12/07 1:27:47PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by hippysmacker

Elite XC just got owned

Gary Shaw is well known for his boxing promoting savy but he's also just as well known if not more known for his involvement in the basically the death of boxing. It's not a coincidence IMO that this guy was apart of the boxing commission while the sport went in the toilet. If I was Vera I would take the money too but he is risking his long term fight future and reputation which might already be tarnished.
BabbyHughes
2/12/07 8:35:22PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by hippysmacker

Elite XC just got owned

Gary Shaw is well known for his boxing promoting savy but he's also just as well known if not more known for his involvement in the basically the death of boxing. It's not a coincidence IMO that this guy was apart of the boxing commission while the sport went in the toilet. If I was Vera I would take the money too but he is risking his long term fight future and reputation which might already be tarnished.

He is taking a huge risk paying that much. I watched the event, and I wasn't very impressed with it. The chick fight was the most exciting match on the card, and I didn't expect that. I thought the Main event was anti climatic and was detrimental to their first showing. That's alot of money to be throwing around at the beginning of a new promotion.....
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 8:41:42PM

Posted by BabbyHughes

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by hippysmacker

Elite XC just got owned

He is taking a huge risk paying that much. I watched the event, and I wasn't very impressed with it. The chick fight was the most exciting match on the card, and I didn't expect that. I thought the Main event was anti climatic and was detrimental to their first showing. That's alot of money to be throwing around at the beginning of a new promotion.....

yeah..you wern't impressed with the event,but i bet you'll still be tuning in for the next one...same as me and everyone else talking smack about it here...we are addicted to MMA and we will take anything that comes our way...

Shaw is still gonna make his money..he's just not as greedy as dana
strikefirstgear
2/12/07 8:48:28PM
I am torn on this one. On one hand there is no doubt that if the deal is over five times the amount per fight difference in pay then the financial decision is easy. Even if (or when) EliteXC goes away Vera will have had a couple fights and that equals 2-3 years of fights in the UFC.

I too think that the UFC is the place to be and I am glad that Dana told him no to the 7 figure deal. The worst thing that could happen to this sport is the whole money thing going out of control with every start up fighter wanting a million dollars a fight.

Best case scenario: Vera gets a dark match as his last fight and goes to the EliteXC for his payday. In a year or two as he does well in that organization as a HW the money will cease to be as much an issue. EliteXC will close down and he can come back to the UFC or Pride and be a force to deal with.

Either way he is a good fighter and there are some match ups I would like to see him in. If he is smart he wont burn any bridges. I am just not sure he is smart!
BabbyHughes
2/13/07 1:08:01AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by BabbyHughes

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by hippysmacker

Elite XC just got owned

yeah..you wern't impressed with the event,but i bet you'll still be tuning in for the next one...same as me and everyone else talking smack about it here...we are addicted to MMA and we will take anything that comes our way...

true
aceprone
2/13/07 1:22:50AM

Posted by BabbyHughes

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by BabbyHughes

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by hippysmacker

Elite XC just got owned

true

If they keep having those beautiful ring girls, heck ya I'm going to tune in.....But one thing is true, at least I didn't have to pay for the fights.
JunCTion
2/13/07 2:13:16AM

Posted by Sagat_GSP12

Vera had to know UFC would laugh at that counter offer which makes him even dumber because according to Shaw's interview fighters signed with Elite XC have the ability to still fight for promotions other than Elite. Why burn that bridge?

veras an ass. if he would pay attention, dana pays whan you win, he pays whan you win. none of the winners are complaning about money. maybe he should have taken the titles from tim and chuck like he assured us he was going to do (not specifically from tim and chuck, you know what i mean) and then he could negotiate a better deal for himself
Pages: 1 [2]