I can't believe Brandon Vera....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I can't believe Brandon Vera....
Next Page »
BabbyHughes
2/11/07 2:20:44PM
OK, I know that Brandon Vera has been pretty impressive in the UFC heavyweight division, but he is not worth 1.5million per fight imo. He would have to be a 3 time HW champion to even come close to being worth that much.

The writer makes a good point,

"And honestly, if Shaw and EliteXC are willing to spend a million bucks per fight for Vera, I can only imagine what they’d be willing to pay for a guy like Liddell. Regardless, if Shaw honestly made that offer, I wouldn’t expect to see EliteXC in operation by the time September rolls around. It just makes no financial sense whatsoever."

link: http://www.ufcjunkie.com/
same as posted on Home page of MMAplayground

fedorwins1
2/11/07 2:26:10PM
He's crazy for turning down the 200,000$ a fight deal. he's beaten B level fighters and the ufc is willing to give him that amount of money to fight!
Manfred
2/11/07 2:40:41PM

Posted by fedorwins1

He's crazy for turning down the 200,000$ a fight deal. he's beaten B level fighters and the ufc is willing to give him that amount of money to fight!

I agree, esp. since he'll never be champ as long as CC is around.
aceprone
2/11/07 2:50:39PM
I think he should fight Cro Cop for his last fight, just so he can get the crap beat out him and then he can leave. I"ve lost alot of respect for Brandon. I was a huge fan when he came on to the scene, but now I don't know what his problem is.
waylon_o
2/11/07 2:50:49PM
Vera is only after the money. He may be a great fighter (from what we've seen), but he hasn't even fought a top contender yet. The Frank Mir fight was a joke. I hope I never see Vera fight again and he gets what he deserves.
DoTheMMAth
2/11/07 2:58:30PM
At least we won't have to see his horrendously awkward / annoying victory dance anymore in the UFC
Manfred
2/11/07 3:03:57PM

Posted by aceprone

I think he should fight Cro Cop for his last fight, just so he can get the crap beat out him and then he can leave. I"ve lost alot of respect for Brandon. I was a huge fan when he came on to the scene, but now I don't know what his problem is.

I don't know, CC will be main event or co-main for sure. I'd make him dark match on an UFN.

Why give him CC on his resume?
Kudos
2/11/07 3:08:57PM

Posted by fedorwins1

He's not crazy, he's smart. $1.5mil is a lot of money. That's more than7 fight at $200,000 a fight in the UFC. In the EXC, he can have easier opponent and make way more money than in the UFC.
waylon_o
2/11/07 3:27:22PM
I agree...I think they should give him a dark match on a UFN and send his ass packing.
brodieros
2/11/07 3:31:29PM
The money sounds good now but after last nights show (mediocre) he should rethink this. Slapping UFC in the face especially with the awesome up and comers the UFC might never show interest again. had he took the Tim fight he would have won and he would have security. as stated earlier Elite won't exist by September or bought out before then...by Zuffa
aceprone
2/11/07 3:32:22PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by aceprone

I don't know, CC will be main event or co-main for sure. I'd make him dark match on an UFN.

I know this, but just so he can get knocked out and leave the UFC with a HUGE loss and no one will want to pay him a million a fight.
BabbyHughes
2/11/07 4:05:49PM

Posted by aceprone

Posted by Manfred

Posted by aceprone

I know this, but just so he can get knocked out and leave the UFC with a HUGE loss and no one will want to pay him a million a fight.

sounds like a plan to me
Snacks
2/11/07 4:26:09PM
Everyone hating on Vera for trying to get paid is being unrealistic.

If you were offered 1.5 million and a million to fight in one organization, and 200k to fight in another, you're telling me you'd take the 200k?
aceprone
2/11/07 4:37:41PM

Posted by Snacks

Everyone hating on Vera for trying to get paid is being unrealistic.

If you were offered 1.5 million and a million to fight in one organization, and 200k to fight in another, you're telling me you'd take the 200k?

Well ya, I don't blame him for taking it, with who ever offered him it. It is just that most of us don't think he is worth that much and it's unrealistic.
fedorwins1
2/11/07 4:43:45PM

Posted by Kudos

Posted by fedorwins1

He's not crazy, he's smart. $1.5mil is a lot of money. That's more than7 fight at $200,000 a fight in the UFC. In the EXC, he can have easier opponent and make way more money than in the UFC.

Yes, he can make more money somewhere else, but he's taking the easy way out he's just in it for the money he doesn't care if he's a champion he just wants the money.
waylon_o
2/11/07 5:22:28PM
In every Brandon Vera interview that I've ever read, he talked about money in every single one. I've read interviews with people and they mention money, but he talks about it in EVERY interview. Him asking for more money than the champions make is insulting to them and everyone else involved. IF, and that's a big IF, he really was offered that much money to fight, that organization won't see the middle of the summer.
jocksmall
2/11/07 5:32:30PM
this is a business propasal that anyone should and would take as long as the money is there the fighters will follow. the ufc did the same thing to get cro-cop so ufc fan shouldnt complain when an organization takes a fighter away and the fighter cant be blamed for leaving. welcome to reality the days of the guy just fighting to be champion or for honor are over there is too much money at stake and a typical mma career isnt that long so you must get paid while you can
ButterBalls
2/11/07 5:44:41PM
Vera won't see a 1.5mil payday, he's a lunatic if he thinks so. If Shaw offered that money to him already trust me the ink would be dry on the contract by now.
AchillesHeel
2/11/07 6:34:56PM
If EliteXC pays Vera that much, they'll be out of business in a year or two. Then Zuffa can buy their leftovers out of the remainders bin.
Kudos
2/11/07 6:55:33PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

If EliteXC pays Vera that much, they'll be out of business in a year or two. Then Zuffa can buy their leftovers out of the remainders bin.

Showtime is a large company. They pay big buck for boxers so i don't see why not for MMA fighters.
Kudos
2/11/07 7:03:20PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Yes, he can make more money somewhere else, but he's taking the easy way out he's just in it for the money he doesn't care if he's a champion he just wants the money.

Tell that to Mirko and Rampage. It's all about the chedder. being a champ doesn't guarantee you a $1.5mil.
Spud
2/11/07 7:16:07PM

Posted by fedorwins1]

He doesn't care if he's champion!?! Champion of what exactly!?

I just had a read there and you lot are beyond belief!!!

You'll all go and say Dana White is this and that for offering a fighter $2,000 or $6,000 a fight and then Veraq gets offered this and ye all jump on the bandwagon of slating. ffs, grow the **** up and realise this isn't a premier sport, where the best is the champ.

wake up and smell the coffee.

this is a BUSINESS first and foremost for the promoters and sport second.

if promoters are allowed to think this way, why aren't the competitors allowed?

I'm pretty sure CC would've fought for $5,000 and $5,000 to win.
yeah right.

He just wants to be champion, when all is said and done. that is all.
Sakikabara offered him $10 million to stay and fight but not for Fedor's belt and CC said "No" because he wanted the belt.
not the cold hard cash!

that is why he took a fight against a NO.1 contender to the UFC belt, in Sanchez.

it is widely known that Sanchez could put Fedor to sleep and that is why he took the fight.

(better close my sarcasm tags before anyone jumps on what I wrote.[/sarcasm])

FFS, gimme a ******* break...
ufcisbeast101
2/11/07 8:42:04PM
i just think some1 is scared of mr cro cop
Trapt1nw0nder
2/11/07 9:45:12PM
i think Brandon Vera is very good fighter and i think its Dana who is greedy...lets just say a average ppv sells is 20 million for each PPV event....Dana is dishing out less than 700K for all the fighters all together who fought that night...the new Gary Shaw Production of MMA fights(elitexc) is only gonna make dana dish out bigger bucks and be fair with the fighters..

Plus..who knows how much money the UFC makes in Advertising(something boxing dont do and still pay top fighters millions)

$200K must be chump change for what Gary Shaw is offering cuz if Gary Shaw was offering just a little more im sure Brandon would rather fight for the UFC which has much stronger fan base

Dana White

...and im not just saying Brandon should be paid the big bucks...i am speaking for all they all need much more money than what Dana is paying them...

Travis Lutter 20K..????
Frank Edgar...6K..????

come on..they need more respect than that!

(Copy/Paste of something i posted in the news section)
Trapt1nw0nder
2/11/07 9:49:26PM
they should be paid much more,but no..not in the millions just yet not Vera

Tito,Liddell...CroCop..GSP..yes

roadking95th
2/11/07 10:55:31PM
Yea, why the hell can't the UFC pay 1.5 mill in bonus plus 1 mill to fight? Let's say Vera is the #4 HW in the UFC at present. Don't you think the HW's above him would want at LEAST the same? So that is 4x Vera's contract. Wait, what about the other weight classes? We will take 4 from LW, WW, MW and LW. So let's see.....20x Vera's contract.....30 million in bonuses and guessing they ONLY fight three times a year you are looking at another 60 million, for a total of $90 million in salaries for 20 fighters. Oh, their contracts for 3 fights would be up after one year,, so I guess it's time for more bonuses! WHY, WHY, WHY can't they afford this. Someone please explain?
madmarck
2/11/07 11:17:39PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by fedorwins1

I agree, esp. since he'll never be champ as long as CC is around.

Yeah. Vera Came into the UFC with a fairly good contract. It was 8K to show and 8 to win. But i dont see this guy as amazing yet. IF he could be Arlovski, Sylvia, Cro Cop, Heath Herring, Randy Coutre, Gabriel Gonzaga, i might be impressed. He did beat Assuerio Silva and that is his biggest win so far. IMO beating Frank Mir isnt so big of a deal anymore. Vera does seem to want a lot of frickin money. Somethin maybe a top10 guy would get. Until he is the UFC wont pay him that. If he really turned downa 200k deal witht he UFC (how many fighters over how many years?) he must think he is worth somethin.

But how great is this 200k deal?
lets do some MMA pay math
Just a hypotheical
200k over 5 years. = 40k a year
2 fighters per year = 20k per fight (10 show, 10 win)
Doesnt Seem so Amazing now does it.

200k over 4 years= 50k per year
200k over 3 years = 66k per year
200k over 2 years = 100k per year
200k over 1 year = 200k per year
Assuming his contract has him fighting twice a year
4years = 25k per fight (12.5k show, 12.5k win)
3 years= 33k per fight (17k show, 17k win)
2 years= 50k per fight (25k show, 25k win)
1 year= 100k per fight (50k show 50k win)

So if you look at this Math. You can see how 200k over 3 or 4 years isnt a huge paycheck. If it were offered over 2 years he would be a highly paid fighter.
I highly doubt that he would get a 1 year contract at 200k due to the fact he isnt a Matt Hughes or Tim Sylvia. It isnt likely the UFC offered him more than 6 years for a deal due to the fact that that would be a very small margin of increase of pay from what he currently makes. The 1-2 year deals seem to high to be offered to him yet. The 3 year deal is to strange numbers so that is unlikely. IMO he was offred a 4 or 5 year contract (in refrence with the equations above). So as you can see Vera turning away from the UFC when he was offered Maybe 100k a year from another org doesnt seem unreasonable.

Note all Numbers are rounded. I have no confirmation that Vera was offered a 200k fight deal. All equations are hypothetical.
Have Fun. If you Read to here you have too much time on your hands....... Similar to me.
roadking95th
2/11/07 11:27:24PM
One problem Madmarck.

According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestlingobserver.com, the UFC offered Brandon Vera $200,000 guaranteed per fight, with much more if he wins the title and headlines Pay Per Views.

So, at a minimum, he gets $600,000 per year, assuming at least 3 fights per year and he doesn't headline and doesn't win the title.
Spud
2/11/07 11:34:40PM

Posted by roadking95th

One problem Madmarck.

According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestlingobserver.com, the UFC offered Brandon Vera $200,000 guaranteed per fight, with much more if he wins the title and headlines Pay Per Views.

So, at a minimum, he gets $600,000 per year, assuming at least 3 fights per year and he doesn't headline and doesn't win the title.

that about sums it up roadking95th.

200k a fight, not broken down over months or years or decades or eons!

tbh, I really don't see anyone matching that. if Gary Shaw can, good on Vera!

if not, oops!
JoeMimic
2/11/07 11:43:50PM
Regardless of the math of how much 200k ends up being over however many years; the point is Brandon Vera doesn't deserve 200k. He hasn't beaten anyone who is regarded as a top 10 fighter so you tell me why he deserves to make money like Chuck Liddell?
Pages: [1] 2