I'm beginning to take a shine to this Bisping chap.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I'm beginning to take a shine to this Bisping chap.
AchillesHeel
3/11/07 6:23:33PM
Michael "The Count" Bisping wrote an editorial for UFC.com, in which he has a few gems for Matt Hamill and shoots back at an English boxing writer who decided to drop some bombs on MMA.

I won't reproduce the entire thing here, but...

"Basically, [McGuigan is] saying a boxer is better at boxing than a MMA fighter is. Errr… yeah, that’s why it is 'mixed martial arts', Barry, and not 'boxing'."

You really don't need the "rolleyes" emote at the end of that sentence, do you? Priceless.

"You may have heard that a certain TUF 3 dropout was calling me out last week. [...]The fighter in question - I forget his name - is a good wrestler but has no BJJ and couldn’t strike a match."

"[...]this guy calling me out had one fight that looked like two drunks scrapping outside a kebab shop on a Friday night."

Provided Bisping continues to improve in the cage, I think he could really become "the English Chuck Liddell" in terms of marketability.

I know Sinosic is seen as a stepping stone (sorry, Elvis) but I'm nevertheless looking forward to seeing how Bisping's game is developing. Let's not forget that Sinosic once submitted Jeremy Horn and fought Babalu to a Decision.

UFC 70 gets more and more interesting. And I'm still chuckling about "two drunks scrapping outside a kebab shop." Bisping recalling younger days, perhaps..?
Stickan
3/11/07 6:57:17PM
Sinosic is gonna be 1-6 in the UFC after this fight. Can't believe they keep bringing him back. IMO a win for Bisping in this fight doesn't mean anything. He needs to step up in competition to prove himself.
Ydoc
3/11/07 7:05:05PM
Those are some nice zings. Hopefully he can back it up... wouldn't mind seeing him drop down to 185, a lot of good striking match ups for him there (Swick, Silva, Leben, Franklin, McFedries, Grove, Kampman, Okami, Cote, Smith). Instead he's at 205 where a lot of wrestlers are, which could be his downfall from watching TUF3. Matt was all in his head.

migo
3/11/07 9:32:44PM
Bisping would definitely be good for marketability. If they build him nice and slowly so that they're sure he has a good chance of winning if he fights for the title (and the fans are as well) then he has a perfect chance of being a bigger star than Chuck Liddell.
shawneth
3/11/07 9:56:03PM

Posted by Stickan

Sinosic is gonna be 1-6 in the UFC after this fight. Can't believe they keep bringing him back. IMO a win for Bisping in this fight doesn't mean anything. He needs to step up in competition to prove himself.

Dont let Sinosics record confuse you. He is a very tough oponent who has had some very unlucky breaks. He was winning the fight against Forest until he got dropped then the fight was stopped prematurely. He's fought some top level competition like Tito Ortiz and has decent strinking backed up by good submission skills. Although i think Bisping will win, dont be shocked if the king of rock and rumble out does him.
gimmper
3/11/07 10:13:59PM
Bisping and Ryoto is the match that will elevate one of these fighters to super status...Bisping has a very exciting style he should go far.
hathcock32
3/11/07 10:35:58PM
I agree i love everything Bisping does. He has become one of my favorite fighters, he'll say anything he wants , cuz thats what he does. Im sure he will win agianst Elvis. Anxious to see him fight some big name....could be a while...i think he would take Jardine or Rashad IMO. As for t Lyoto Ryota..i believe Forrest will KO IMO.....and im willing on bets!!!
crimethinc
3/12/07 2:33:03AM
Bisping quickly became my favorite on TUF3 and I have high hopes for him in the future. My adrenaline was really pumping in his PPV debut. Mainly because I verbally predicted 1st rd KO to all my friends and he didn't dissapoint. I'm excited to see him as another new contender in the rapidly growing UFC LHW division.
Manfred
3/12/07 3:11:01AM
IMO he's 100% correct regarding Hammil. Matt's chin was pitiful during the show, it wouldn't take much for Bisping to KO him
ac_gi
3/12/07 3:22:32AM
Am I the only one who doesn't care for Bisping? I think the guy comes off as a jerk, he kind of reminds me of Tito. (Although I like Tito, after watching him train fighters on TUF)
Manfred
3/12/07 10:41:08AM

Posted by ac_gi

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Bisping? I think the guy comes off as a jerk, he kind of reminds me of Tito. (Although I like Tito, after watching him train fighters on TUF)

He definately comes off cocky, but so far he's backed it up. Not only is he undefeated, but he's never faced a judge. UFC needs a new Tito anyways.
Svartorm
3/12/07 9:44:04PM

Posted by ac_gi

I got your back dude. I'm actually one of the few guys whos reasonably sure hes going to lose to Elvis. Bottom-line, Elvis is he best fighter hes ever come up against, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Bispings TD defense and ground game. If Elvis gets ahold of him, I think The Count is going to be tapped in front of his countrymen.
poll77
3/12/07 10:50:31PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by ac_gi

I got your back dude. I'm actually one of the few guys whos reasonably sure hes going to lose to Elvis. Bottom-line, Elvis is he best fighter hes ever come up against, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Bispings TD defense and ground game. If Elvis gets ahold of him, I think The Count is going to be tapped in front of his countrymen.

care to make a wager after the next two events are over? i have all my funds tied up right now.
FBD
3/12/07 10:52:30PM
I cant wait till he gets knocked out to be honest.
shackle
3/12/07 11:00:49PM
Thank you!!

Why is everyone claiming this guy is at contender level?!?!?

Is it because he is a OK striker?? hell if i know...

But until he fights people that aren't cans he hasn't proven nothing to me.

There is just somethings I don't get... Bj being in the P4P greatest list stuff like this I don't understand.... Evans becoming a contender after getting a KO on salmon.. who was winning round 1... ect...

Posted by Stickan

Baz
3/13/07 5:47:49AM
Bisping is doing well here in the UK in terms of changing the media presentation of MMA, a few papers have picked up on the story of an Englishman making a name for himself on US soil.

Before Bisping was on TUF, MMA was always treated as barbaric etc in the press but that's starting to change now. Regardless of his ability, I'm grateful for him helping to change the way MMA is perceived in England by the mainstream press.

AchillesHeel
3/13/07 1:37:12PM
I favor Bisping over Sinosic, but I don't think Sinosic is a pushover, and I think Bisping will show us something with a win here.

Bisping definitely toes the line of being big-headed, but I think he knows it and so far he hasn't crossed the line to being annoying (not to me, anyway).

Bisping is not a title contender yet. Right now, I would rank him somewhere around #8-#12 in the UFC at 205 lbs. He does, however, show a lot of promise. In 12-18 months, I expect/hope he'll be a legitimate contender, but such a long-term prediction is inherently meaningless. He's got a lot of work to do, and he has to avoid any really bad luck or poor decisions.