This Just In: He's Baaaaaaaaack!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » This Just In: He's Baaaaaaaaack!
DCRage
8/17/10 6:02:33PM
That of course would be...all together now...BRETT FAVRE. For now, at least, according to Fox Sports.

The on-again, off-again drama that is Brett Favre now appears to be on again. A trio of Vikings teammates including Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson, defensive end Jared Allen and kicker Ryan Longwell flew to Hattiesburg, Miss. to push Favre to give them one more season.

Favre informed the trio Tuesday that he is, in fact, back in and will rejoin the Vikings, FOXsports.com has learned.

In addition, Favre is on the plane with the players and is heading back to Minneapolis. However, while signs point to Favre coming back, neither he nor his agent have informed the team that he’s returning. And with Favre, another change of heart is certainly not out of the question.

This latest decision is a complete switch from two weeks ago, when Favre informed teammates that he was retiring -- citing wear and tear on his body -- in text messages seen by FOXSports.com. The team however, immediately responded by offering Favre more money, and teammates reached out imploring the quarterback to reconsider or to take more time.

Although Favre has frequently gone back and forth, it was widely assumed, in the end, that he would rejoin the Vikings. That belief was reinforced on Aug. 12 when the 11-time Pro Bowler and three-time All Pro traveled from Hattiesburg to Pensacola, Fla. to have his surgically repaired left ankle examined by Dr. James Andrews.

Tuesday’s morning meeting with Hutchinson, Allen and Longwell appears to have served its purpose. Favre, who led the Vikings to a 12-4 regular-season finish and the NFC title game last season, now appears fully prepared to play a 20th NFL season.

As always, stay tuned. And someone make sure Rachel Nichols is on that plane!
Playground_Samurai
8/17/10 6:31:02PM
Yep, i'm already tired of hearing about this. I got home from work at 4:30 and they have been talking about this nonstop on espn the whole time. I mean, what more can you say? I'm really tired of ESPN doing single topics to death.
BustedKnuckle
8/17/10 7:38:50PM
Yeah so is my Jock itch!! And a bit of ointment makes that go away. I am with GSPFAN. Soo
Tired of hearing about this
Twenty20Dollars
8/17/10 8:58:33PM
Did they have to literally carry him back hehe

Guess who's back, back again, tell a friend
crushedbacon
8/17/10 9:22:20PM

Posted by gspfan

Yep, i'm already tired of hearing about this. I got home from work at 4:30 and they have been talking about this nonstop on espn the whole time. I mean, what more can you say? I'm really tired of ESPN doing single topics to death.

I hear ya man........ I'm so glad I'm in Canada and get TSN.... I can barely stomach the Favre coverage I get..... couldn't imagine the level of insanity down there.... something like this I guess

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/is-that-oj-or-brett-favre/
kopower
8/17/10 9:58:27PM
I knew his retirement was a joke. We'll see if he can hold up the whole season.
Svartorm
8/17/10 10:21:23PM
What a drama queen. I stopped paying attention during the last comeback when he told reporters he came back because his daughter asked him to play one more season while he was driving her to school........in July.
Playground_Samurai
8/17/10 11:14:02PM

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by gspfan

I hear ya man........ I'm so glad I'm in Canada and get TSN.... I can barely stomach the Favre coverage I get..... couldn't imagine the level of insanity down there.... something like this I guess

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/is-that-oj-or-brett-favre/

Yea, that's the first thing I seen when I turned on the tv. I thought exactly what every other rational person was probably thinking. Why the **** are they covering Brett Favre driving down the ******* road? This has gone way too far.
Chael_Sonnen
8/17/10 11:21:19PM
ESPN has no shame...first it was the over exposure of the LeBron bs and now this, the on going Favre saga.
bojangalz
8/18/10 3:11:47AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

ESPN has no shame...first it was the over exposure of the LeBron bs and now this, the on going Favre saga.

...Say's Chael Sonnen, the KING of self-promotion.

Frankly, after watching the fallout of the self promotion campaign you ran leading up to 117 Chael; I kind of like how Farve has played this up. I'm not even a casual sports fan outside of MMA and odds are I'll probably sit down to watch a game or two this season knowing that Farve is back in the fold. And I'd probably be less excited for all of this were it not for the build up.

I've got to hand it to Farve. He builds his name and his brand much in the way a fighter does. He's obvously brought added attention to his personal brand as well as the vikes. It's smart business. And at the end of the day he still obviously has the goods to perform on the field so I'm ok with all of it.
Playground_Samurai
8/18/10 8:42:46AM

Posted by bojangalz
I'm ok with all of it.

You must not watch ESPN that much.
bojangalz
8/18/10 12:22:02PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by bojangalz
I'm ok with all of it.

You must not watch ESPN that much.

lol.. Correct sir. I don't even have cable TV. Not enough hours in the day for such activities so why spend the money; Ya know.
crushedbacon
8/18/10 12:24:16PM

Posted by bojangalz

...Say's Chael Sonnen, the KING of self-promotion.

Frankly, after watching the fallout of the self promotion campaign you ran leading up to 117 Chael; I kind of like how Farve has played this up. I'm not even a casual sports fan outside of MMA and odds are I'll probably sit down to watch a game or two this season knowing that Farve is back in the fold. And I'd probably be less excited for all of this were it not for the build up.

I've got to hand it to Farve. He builds his name and his brand much in the way a fighter does. He's obvously brought added attention to his personal brand as well as the vikes. It's smart business. And at the end of the day he still obviously has the goods to perform on the field so I'm ok with all of it.

Yeah..... I attribute it more to ego than building a name and a brand.....and if you are right and that is the case, he can't be doing that great of a job building his name/brand, cuz your from Minny and well....who's Farve?

BlueSkiesBurn
8/18/10 3:58:22PM
I don't think it's as much that he's missing brand building or hyping or whatever you want to call it that bothers me. I hate the fact that he keeps a team in limbo for that long. I'm not even a Vikings fan, but I can tell you, greatest QB of all time or not, if he had been with the Saints and pulled this I'd still want him gone.

It's as simple as this play or don't play, don't drag it out. Say, "I don't feel like attending OTA's or mini-camp, I'll show at the end of August, take some preseason game snaps, and then do what I always do in the regular season, until then, leave me alone and quit asking what I'm gonna do."
emfleek
8/18/10 4:38:25PM
I've recently stopped listening to ESPN Radio (for the most part) because I just can't take it anymore. If it's not Favre, it's Tiger. If it's not Tiger, it's LeBron. If it's not LeBron, it's Roethlisberger. Enough is enough. I need a break.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/18/10 5:14:17PM

Posted by emfleek

I've recently stopped listening to ESPN Radio (for the most part) because I just can't take it anymore. If it's not Favre, it's Tiger. If it's not Tiger, it's LeBron. If it's not LeBron, it's Roethlisberger. Enough is enough. I need a break.

I said this on Facebook and I'll repost it here.

I am a Favre and LeBron fan and I got tired of it. I think the reason that I am more sick of it than most people is because my TV rarely leaves ESPN unless I'm watching a specific show. Other than that, it's ALWAYS on ESPN or I'm on ESPN.com on my iPhone.

When 35-40 minutes of an hour long SportSCenter is spent talking about Favre or LeBron and only 20-25 minutes are spent covered ALL other sports and sports news that happened that day, it gets old. As a fan of ALL sports, I actually want to know what happened that day, not a 30 second glossover because they cut to video footage of LeBron shooting free-throws at the fair in Akron while getting heckled by the Cavaliers fans or Brett Favre speeding down the freeway in Ryan Longwell's BMW SUV headed towards the Vikings training facility.

Seriously, on Jim Rome is Burning today, 6 of the 6 opening segment burns were either about LeBron or Favre. You know that forum will also be about those two.