THE LONG-AWAITED RETURN OF JAKE SHIELDS

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » THE LONG-AWAITED RETURN OF JAKE SHIELDS
disorderlyvision
4/24/07 12:18:33AM
link

2006 was a bittersweet year for Jake Shields. After winning the Rumble on the Rock 175-pound tournament in April, Jake only fought one other time the rest of the year, mired in fight cancellations and promotions falling through.

After the frustrations Shields faced last year, things appear to be headed upwards for him after signing a deal with EliteXC and participating in Season 3 of BodogFight on ION Television, which debuted this past Tuesday night.

“The fight went pretty well for me,” said Jake of his 90-second win over tough Ray Stienbeiss. “I just came in, threw a kick, shot in, took a single [leg], passed guard and went to mount. I landed a few punches and somehow he rolled out of mount, so I just hopped right to a headlock and jumped to a guillotine and finished it.”

For Shields, fighting in BodogFight presented its own unique conundrum with the reality television format the show uses, meaning Jake had to wait months before being able to talk about the win.

“It’s hard because you go out and fight, you come back and all your friends want to know about it, but you’re not supposed to talk about it,” explained Shields. “So that’s really weird, and then they show it two months later and everyone’s congratulating you. [Laughs] So it’s kind of unusual, but not too bad.”