What If???

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » What If???
kopower
7/7/12 10:35:55AM
Not to be a downer, because I'm just as stoked as the next guy for the big fight tonight, but what if this card doesn't deliver?? Since it's being hyped as the biggest UFC fight ever, will that make it the biggest bust?

What are your expectations for tonight? Is the hype big enough, that if the main event last 1 minute, you'll be satisfied? Thoughts?
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/12 10:48:37AM
I don't see it as the biggest UFC fight ever, so I'm not expecting the best thing ever.

Overall the card isn't that strong, so I'm not going in with high expectations.
MALICE
7/7/12 11:00:29AM
This card is far from having the most exciting matchups available, but this card has a little extra to keep the excitement up. Ortiz's last fight and Silva/Sonnen II make this card plenty exciting for me. There are also plenty of matchups which will most likely add plenty of excitement.

It can be disappointing when a main event only lasts 1:04 (Velasquez/JDS), but I was expecting more out of that fight. In the Silva/Sonnen fight, I am still not sure what to expect so there will be plenty of excitement for me no matter what happens.
grappler0000
7/7/12 11:04:10AM
What if...it's a great event, but that is forgotten when Anderson has to be peeled off of Chael by 4 officials, WWE style?
Chael_Sonnen
7/7/12 11:04:59AM
CHAEL will deliver....anDEE won't.

Either way, you'll be out $44.95 or $54.95

HEY ED - - you get that $9.99 app yet???
Bubbles
7/7/12 11:29:55AM
as long as Silva doesn't win, I'll consider this entire card a great success...even if every fight is 15 minutes of Kalib Starnes vs Carlos Condit
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/12 11:46:07AM
Don't know how Cain/JDS was disappointing when you got two guys who have won by KO and one of them wins by KO.

I'll take that over two guys trying to grapple one another.
DeadHead988
7/7/12 11:48:48AM

Posted by Bubbles

as long as Silva doesn't win, I'll consider this entire card a great success...even if every fight is 15 minutes of Kalib Starnes vs Carlos Condit

Nate Quarry?
prophecy033
7/7/12 12:31:09PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by Bubbles

Nate Quarry?

He was throwing 2 "Runners" together. Although Condit in my book was merely not staying stationary long enough for Diax to punch him, he still outstruck Nick. Starnes looked like he was getting ready for the Boston Marathon
pmoney
7/7/12 12:38:27PM
That's the thing about cards like this. They will either kick a bunch of ass, or suck massively. It seems to me there is rarely an in between for UFC events. I can see this event going either way. Silva-Sonnen 2 has a lot of well deserved hype behind it, and that will come through as far as entertainment goes. But when Cody McKenzie is on the PPV main card, that's a WTF moment... (I love the AK kid, but let's be honest)

On another note, I would rather have Roller and Alessio on Facebook and have Izqueirdo and Oliveira on FX. Izqueirdo put on a good show against Madadi, and I can't really remember saying that about any fight of Alessio or Roller.

As long as there are some good finishes tonight, it should be a good one.

MALICE
7/7/12 12:50:54PM

Posted by pmoney

That's the thing about cards like this. They will either kick a bunch of ass, or suck massively. It seems to me there is rarely an in between for UFC events. I can see this event going either way. Silva-Sonnen 2 has a lot of well deserved hype behind it, and that will come through as far as entertainment goes. But when Cody McKenzie is on the PPV main card, that's a WTF moment... (I love the AK kid, but let's be honest)

On another note, I would rather have Roller and Alessio on Facebook and have Izqueirdo and Oliveira on FX. Izqueirdo put on a good show against Madadi, and I can't really remember saying that about any fight of Alessio or Roller.

As long as there are some good finishes tonight, it should be a good one.

McKenzie should not be fighting Mendes, nor should he be fighting on a PPV. J. Silva on this one.
BeeR
7/7/12 12:51:17PM
case of beer
LA confidential
new vaporizer
ribfest downtown this weekend
UFC148

Bubbles
7/7/12 1:33:47PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Don't know how Cain/JDS was disappointing when you got two guys who have won by KO and one of them wins by KO.

true, but we expected a little more than 64 seconds.
kopower
7/7/12 1:52:39PM

Posted by Bubbles

It was just the whole build up, then waiting forever for the fight to start, only to have it end very early. If they were able to show the Guida/Henderson fight after, or before, it wouldn't have left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I know a lot of my friends that are casual followers of the UFC, were not happy; mainly due to all the build up, and ending abruptly.
sbulldavid
7/7/12 2:11:44PM
I like Mendes/Mckenzie because it's fun to see if Mckenzie will beat somebody he's supposed to lose to. Sonnen vs Silva is going to be tense so I'll be pumped. It might not have much as far as contender relativity but you got a lot of talent, past their prime but still fun to watch.
Budgellism
7/7/12 2:23:29PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Bubbles

It was just the whole build up, then waiting forever for the fight to start, only to have it end very early. If they were able to show the Guida/Henderson fight after, or before, it wouldn't have left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I know a lot of my friends that are casual followers of the UFC, were not happy; mainly due to all the build up, and ending abruptly.

Agreed. It took them over half an hour for Bruce Buffer to start to announce their names. That was the worst part about all of it. I would have forgotten that boring wait had the fight gone at least 5 minutes though. I think they learned from their mistakes so far. UFC on Fox 3 was a really well put together card UFC on Fox 4 looks the same. Solid all the way through.
BuffaloDave
7/7/12 2:50:06PM
If it doesn't deliver at least people will have a legit reason to bitch, unlike the massive ragging bitches complaining about 147.
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/12 2:52:09PM
People will always complain.
frizzzlecake
7/7/12 3:03:21PM
6-fight maincard and people think it's going to be a dud? only fight that may be snoozefest is the one with a guy nicknamed "Stun Gun"
Budgellism
7/7/12 3:05:16PM
147 was a great card

Still not a ppv worthy card but a big fan, much like ourselves could still really appreciate it. I can see the argument for the casual fan but people here didn't have to order it and the fans that bought tickets received the option for a refund. So in the end I think 147 was about as successful as it could be under the circumstances.
Budgellism
7/7/12 3:05:42PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

6-fight maincard and people think it's going to be a dud? only fight that may be snoozefest is the one with a guy nicknamed "Stun Gun"

You mean Yum Yum Kim?
kopower
7/7/12 3:10:30PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by frizzzlecake

You mean Yum Yum Kim?

Twenty20Dollars
7/7/12 3:27:31PM
It's not how many fights are on the main card, it's the matchups that make them think it will be a dud.
Budgellism
7/8/12 10:37:58AM
Officially jinxed
Bubbles
7/8/12 12:29:45PM
yeah this card was a let down. I had high hopes but Cote and Alession shit the bed. Sonnen, I dont know how to comment on that. Menjivar/Easton was a complete let down as I thought it would be FOTN. Mendes wins off a short body punch, Kim broke his rib on a takedown. Griffin/Ortiz was the only really exciting fight of that card.
thevoodooninja
7/8/12 1:59:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by frizzzlecake

You mean Yum Yum Kim?

i would love to see he come out in his next fight and hear him use yum yum as his nick name. it would be freaking hilarious
PhilBrito
7/8/12 2:36:47PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

CHAEL will deliver....anDEE won't.

Either way, you'll be out $44.95 or $54.95

HEY ED - - you get that $9.99 app yet???

lol
kopower
7/8/12 5:57:45PM

Posted by Bubbles

yeah this card was a let down. I had high hopes but Cote and Alession shit the bed. Sonnen, I dont know how to comment on that. Menjivar/Easton was a complete let down as I thought it would be FOTN. Mendes wins off a short body punch, Kim broke his rib on a takedown. Griffin/Ortiz was the only really exciting fight of that card.

I would agree. I was pretty pumped for the main event, and Tito and Forrest had their moments, but it was a let down. Oh well, shit happens sometimes.