Too Much?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Too Much?
POLL: Do you feel MMA will become oversaturated
YES 15% (5)
NO 42% (14)
POSSIBLE 42% (14)
prophecy033
9/28/11 6:04:24PM
With the recent news of the UFC possibly having 2 shows in one night, do you feel that we will get oversaturated with all this MMA? I wanna say no but I'm already hearing that it might. What do you guys think?
DeadHead988
9/28/11 6:17:17PM
I definitely agree, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the two shows in one night article.
Poor_Franklin
9/28/11 6:35:12PM
i think they're going to do it w/ the Japan card bc they probably don't expect many Americans to care about the Japanese fighters on the card, so they'll give them another card w/ more promotable fighters & they can focus a lot of international promotion on the Japan card.

i think it will be more globalized bc most of these 2 cards in 1 day scenarios will probably have one card in North or South America & the other in Asia or Europe

could be totally wrong, but that's my guess

so no i don't think it'll be more saturated. never too much of a good thing when the good thing is mma
Rabi
9/28/11 6:41:36PM
I wouldnt mind 2 events in 2 nights ( so i could watch them both) but 2 events in 1 night is stupid IMO
Poor_Franklin
9/28/11 6:52:04PM

Posted by Rabi

I wouldnt mind 2 events in 2 nights ( so i could watch them both) but 2 events in 1 night is stupid IMO

i think it's kind of ballsy, but if they can pull it off, to them. I do agree that one has to be free. 2 PPVs in one night would be a slap in the face to all of us.
prophecy033
9/28/11 7:02:01PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Rabi

i think it's kind of ballsy, but if they can pull it off, to them. I do agree that one has to be free. 2 PPVs in one night would be a slap in the face to all of us.

I said the same on the other thread
grappler0000
9/28/11 7:04:33PM
I'd like to see what that actually entails...but, I doubt it will be too much
Poor_Franklin
9/28/11 7:05:23PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Poor_Franklin

thought that was this one & was just too stoned to quote.
prophecy033
9/28/11 7:14:43PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Poor_Franklin

thought that was this one & was just too stoned to quote.

I'm about 30 minutes to being later'd myself, just gotta get through traffic
Chael_Sonnen
9/28/11 7:22:45PM
Too much MMA? NO!! Never enough MMA on television...hell, make it a 3 event evening.

Too much baseball, football, on TV? Yes!
mrsmiley
9/28/11 7:25:32PM
To an extent I think it already is too much. I made a thread about this same thing probably a year or so ago. It can get worse/better though.
It's really a two sided coin I think. For the masses it's good but for the hardcore elite like us it can potentially be a bitter pill to swallow.
I know more than one person who quit watching racing once it exploded in the late 90's and I think will have that with MMA as well.

Though the sport has created stars,I think we have yet to see that one "BIG" star that comes along and crosses the boundries and I think that's when it will really boom like we can't even imagine. I'm not saying MMA doesn't have big stars,so I'm trying to think of the proper way to word this without catching too much heat,lol()
I guess in a round about way we've yet to see the Michael Jordan,Hulk Hogan,Stone Cold,The Rock,Mike Tyson,Ali,etc,etc,etc,etc. Of the sport. But I think once it does happen mma is going to explode possibly bigger than anything.
I think Chuck Liddell,Fedor,Wandy, or Tito could have been that but they came along too early. Anderson,GSP (who is a big deal in Canadia),Jones could be it but I don't know. Sadly,the one guy who got the push bigger than anyone by the media was Kimbo Slice............

My two cents anyways.
SpiderSilva
9/28/11 9:10:41PM
this is what i think it will be like the japan show will be a ppv live and free on tape delay like previous shows tapped delayed and have a ppv the next night? or have the ppv followed by a live free japan show ala hdnet dream shows that have followed ufc ppv in the past. either way more mma!!!!
Budgellism
9/28/11 9:29:31PM
To be honest, I can't get enough mma as it is so I said no to it becoming over-saturated. I can see where other people wouldn't want more events but I don't fall into that category.
KungFuMaster
9/29/11 1:42:50AM
I remember back when the ufc put on fights every 3 or 4 months and I simply could not wait for the next event. Now you have mma events almost every week between all the organizations.

Personally for me, I have been less excited about ufc events starting last year. I am not the die hard fan I used to be...

There are just too many fighters to keep up with...

I recon the PPVs will draw less and less and by this I mean for every so many fans, there will be only so many PPV buys. For instance - let us say in 2005, we have 3 million fans. Out of 3 million fans, 2million bought PPVs in 2005.

Now let us say we have 10 million fans in 2011 but only 5 million bought PPVs. I believe the ratio of viewership to the number of fans will drop as more and more mma events are being showcased in close proximity of each other.
scoozna
9/29/11 9:09:06AM
I feel similarly to what MrSmiley said. I think it's entirely possible to water down the talent pool to the point where the fights get boring, or sloppy, and people stop caring. I find myself trying really hard to stay awake during some Strikeforce Challengers fights because I feel like I "ought" to be watching it or something. That's not to say the other promotions don't have some good fights, but saturation is definitely a possibility if the UFC were to expand, either in the USA or abroad.

Dana's emphasis on having "exciting fights" comes to mind when I think of this topic. If the UFC expands all over the world, and he can't preach this message due to the volume of fights, I wonder if it will remain as exciting.
prophecy033
9/30/11 11:39:39AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I remember back when the ufc put on fights every 3 or 4 months and I simply could not wait for the next event. Now you have mma events almost every week between all the organizations.

Personally for me, I have been less excited about ufc events starting last year. I am not the die hard fan I used to be...

I recon the PPVs will draw less and less and by this I mean for every so many fans, there will be only so many PPV buys. For instance - let us say in 2005, we have 3 million fans. Out of 3 million fans, 2million bought PPVs in 2005.

Now let us say we have 10 million fans in 2011 but only 5 million bought PPVs. I believe the ratio of viewership to the number of fans will drop as more and more mma events are being showcased in close proximity of each other.

a lot of bars show the fights, so that contributes to less buys. Also, even tho it is only a $5 increase in price, $44.95 is more then some people are willing to pay. I know if the card us not solid from top to bottom, I'm probably not gonna fork over 3 hours worth of pay to watch
KungFuMaster
9/30/11 12:05:57PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

a lot of bars show the fights, so that contributes to less buys. Also, even tho it is only a $5 increase in price, $44.95 is more then some people are willing to pay. I know if the card us not solid from top to bottom, I'm probably not gonna fork over 3 hours worth of pay to watch

I only buy a PPV event if I have friends coming over. Other than that, I will simply watch it via other means which I should not disclose.

But yes, the bars take away many PPV buys but it works out for the ufc. Businesses have to pay a business price for the event. Isn't it something like - for however many seats the business has, it has to pay accordingly? I don't really know how that works exactly.

But anyway, $44.95 is an arm and a leg for every time one wants to watch an event. That is of course if you're rich which the majority of us are not...
Empty_One
9/30/11 12:13:47PM
I don't think they will sell them as two different events. Since japan is starting at 10 AM or whatever, I think you will buy i've event, and they will be shown simultaneously, flip flopping the coverage between fights. Thats really they only way ti make it work, and not completely piss off your fanbase.
prophecy033
9/30/11 5:41:52PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

I only buy a PPV event if I have friends coming over. Other than that, I will simply watch it via other means which I should not disclose.

But yes, the bars take away many PPV buys but it works out for the ufc. Businesses have to pay a business price for the event. Isn't it something like - for however many seats the business has, it has to pay accordingly? I don't really know how that works exactly.

But anyway, $44.95 is an arm and a leg for every time one wants to watch an event. That is of course if you're rich which the majority of us are not...

at the bars around here they don't have to pay a business price. They buy it just like we would and play it o. The Biggest tv they have with other sports on the smaller sets.

Even when I buy the ppv, I still end up buying it on dvd anyway as to get the behind the scenes stuff
jiujitsufreak74
10/2/11 11:55:21PM
as hard as it is to say as a MMA fan, it is definitely possible. the trick is to not put on more events than the amount of top level talent you have. as long as yous till abide by quality>quantity, the ufc should be fine.