What now for BJ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What now for BJ?
1daveufc
8/29/10 11:26:41AM
After bj lost to frankie where do you guys think he will go from here?Am a big fan of his but am not sure what is best for him does he hang them gloves up move to WW or stay and try again at LW or may be a change of training camp wud be good for him?
Hendo67
8/29/10 11:27:55AM
Bj/Gomi? I'd like that
Jackelope
8/29/10 11:44:36AM
At this point I honestly think he'll find more success at WW. I think his age is catching up to him, the lack of a super strong work ethic, and his weight are all effecting him negatively and mostly when it comes to cardio IMO.

I honestly thought BJ would win that fight but was super impressed with Edgar. BJ probably still beats 90% of that division handily, but I think he should consider interesting fights at 170 (title shot being a long way off) I'd like to see BJ vs. Alves, BJ vs. Fitch, or really any number of highly ranked WW contenders. BJ vs. Dan Hardy might actually be a pretty fun fight to watch, too.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/29/10 12:11:08PM
Gomi is a good idea but also I think Sotiropolus
prozacnation1978
8/29/10 12:21:33PM
Bj vs guida or gomi

Or rematch with serra

There are options.
Twenty20Dollars
8/29/10 12:48:09PM
I bet he is thinking about retiring.
mrsmiley
8/29/10 1:46:39PM
I would like to see one more bout with Hughes to be honest.
DCRage
8/29/10 1:50:32PM
170, he'll probably want GSP again (of course).
Twenty20Dollars
8/29/10 2:01:48PM
I think he gets dominated at 170 against the bigger guys.

but BJ prolly needs to go train somewhere new just to change things up a bit for his next fight instead of bringing guys into his area.
jae_1833
8/29/10 2:04:45PM
BJ has had the same problems now for quite a while....lack of cardio, lack of training....personally this is why I am not a fan. Whatever wieght he wants to fight at is fine with me, I just don't want him to be matched up with GSP or Hughes for that manner. Give us something exciting and new please.
RyanC
8/29/10 2:58:12PM
Hang it up.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/29/10 6:27:26PM
Gomi vs Penn was brought up at the post fight press conference by one of the media. It would be an interesting fight and it could go either way.
I think it makes sense to give the winner of this fight George Sotiropoulos next. A win over either guy should get George his shot IMO.
tcunningham
8/29/10 8:09:52PM
i dont see a problem with were BJ's at, at least from a fans perspective. now that he aint champ, theres a ton of other fighters in the div. that could fight him now, that would not have gotten a chance when he was champ. gomi is a good one.
Pookie
8/29/10 9:32:16PM
Theres alot of big fights BJ can pull off and win. I'd choose Hughes v. BJ 3, and WW specifically. The skill level bottle noses under BJ at LW leaving a Shang Tsung/Goro, Anderson Silva/Rich Franklin effect as he'll kill the stream of contenders that can get to a title shot, and thats bad business. Getting stuck Killing off the Dunham's, Sotioropoli, and Florian's of the division future seems like a hellish Limbo for a wanderer like Penn.
fonduktoe
8/29/10 10:06:42PM

Posted by Pookie

Theres alot of big fights BJ can pull off and win. I'd choose Hughes v. BJ 3, and WW specifically. The skill level bottle noses under BJ at LW leaving a Shang Tsung/Goro, Anderson Silva/Rich Franklin effect as he'll kill the stream of contenders that can get to a title shot, and thats bad business. Getting stuck Killing off the Dunham's, Sotioropoli, and Florian's of the division future seems like a hellish Limbo for a wanderer like Penn.

to keep up with the video game references i'd liken penn to the grim reaper from the original castlevania
marcoDGK
8/30/10 2:38:50PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I bet he is thinking about retiring.

Seriously, I wouldn't doubt it.
gazlufc
9/3/10 1:43:09PM
Im still a little confused about what state of mind BJ was in against Edgar at 118.We all know Penn should have destroyed Edgar in the rematch with the knowledge of their last fight but he still played in to Edgars by letting him run rings around him being picked off by jabs.
From what i saw at the beginning of rounds 3,4 and 5 it looked to me like BJ didnt have a clue,and the advice from his trainer "Come on you can beat this c***sucker" wasnt much use.
What happened to the BJ who smashed Sanchez,Florian and Sherk?
As for next i would like to see him fight maybe Kenny or Joe Lauzon.