OK Enough is Enough!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » OK Enough is Enough!!
Next Page »
RampageOwnedYou
12/23/08 4:46:20PM
Ok so the New York Yankees are basically bullying every team in the MLB from getting a chance to get any better, by snatching up all the top free agents for stupid amounts of money.

Today they nabbed free agent Mark Teixeira, reaching agreement with the first baseman on an eight-year contract worth $180 million.

New York has committed $423.5 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to CC Sabathia ($23 million over seven years) and $82.5 million on right-hander A.J. Burnett ($185 million over five).

This is just insane, when will MLB step in and put a fix to the Yankees always having the upperhand in free agency?

emfleek
12/23/08 4:50:26PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Ok so the New York Yankees are basically bullying every team in the MLB from getting a chance to get any better, by snatching up all the top free agents for stupid amounts of money.

Today they nabbed free agent Mark Teixeira, reaching agreement with the first baseman on an eight-year contract worth $180 million.

New York has committed $423.5 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to CC Sabathia ($23 million over seven years) and $82.5 million on right-hander A.J. Burnett ($185 million over five).

This is just insane, when will MLB step in and put a fix to the Yankees always having the upperhand in free agency?

Wow, I'm shocked.

No, not really.

By the way...don't be fooled. Lots of other teams had the money, but none of them are willing to spend it.
DCRage
12/23/08 4:58:05PM
Never. Players won't agree to a salary cap, which is the only way. At least now I don't have to worry about the Nats signing him then shipping him off in July for a ton of prospects.
RampageOwnedYou
12/23/08 4:59:52PM

By the way...don't be fooled. Lots of other teams had the money, but none of them are willing to spend it.

Well when New York has an extra 200 million on every other team, no team can get away with spending less. Yankees can just do what they have been doing, and continue to get away with it. Its been like this for years. Only way teams can get better, is doing what Devil Rays have been doing, and getting young talent and building on that.
Wolfenstein
12/23/08 5:26:35PM
As a red sox fan, it's a sad day. I didn't think the Yankees would enter into the Texiera sweepstakes. The sox definetely could have used his big bat. Is he worth 22.5 Million a year though? Absolutely not. He's one of the top players in the league, but he's not head and shoulder's above anyone else. As far as CC Sabathia, I can almost guarantee that he's going to fold under the pressure in New York and balloon up to near 400lbs in the restaurant paradise that is New York City.

Let them keep overpaying for players. It hasn't worked for eight years and it's not going to start.
SpiderSilva
12/23/08 5:31:48PM
ehhh how long has it been sense they went to the world series with a huge payroll? ? ? I don't care who they pick up there karma is not winning a title
cmill21
12/23/08 5:53:56PM
Are you a blue jay's fan? lol
SpiderSilva
12/23/08 5:57:48PM
Go pitiful Rockies we did have that dream run last year we had the hottest team ever
big_timmy
12/23/08 6:08:39PM
There will always be teams putting up ridiculous numbers for players, but look how often it actually works out. Did the Yankees win the world series last year?

Look at Real Madrid in the soccer. They had probabably 5 of the best players in the world, but still couldnt win the big one.

Sure Boston won the NBA this past season after recruiting well, but how often do you see big names going to a team but just can't work it out?

Let them eat cake, and then we'll see at the end of the season if all this sillyness was worth it.
DJDark41
12/23/08 6:19:00PM
NHL Salary Cap FTW! I'm glad the NHL put in the salary cap to keep teams like the Red Wings, Canadiens and Maple Leafs(big hockey markets)from completely dominating due to more money. Nowadays its about smart drafting/scouting, and money smart decision. None of this "lets just spend more money then everyone else"
RampageOwnedYou
12/23/08 6:28:17PM
CMILL - Yes I am. We wont win for many years, so im not stressing to think we had a chance at these guys.

I dont think in anyway this is going to get the Yankees the world series. Its just bothers me that they are able to do this. A cap needs to be in place of some sort. But i dont expect it to happen.
Hendo67
12/23/08 6:35:01PM
Crap, i thought the Bo Sox were in the running for Texiera?

guess not, god damn the yankees. Now i want them to go like 10 - 140
Shawn91111
12/23/08 6:36:27PM
As a Yankee fan it makes me happy. They run their team as a business. As a business they have to put the best product on the field for their fans, its obsurd to think that teams such as KC and Pittsburgh who have 10x less fans deserve the same players as the Yankees and Red Sox and others. I hear people whine about the Yankees spending this and that on players, so what. Teams such as Florida and Tampa Bay and even the Brewers and Angels have been succesful in how they run their teams, scouting the hell out of young players and developing them. Thats great for them and works for them but thats not how the Yankees run their team. Sure they draft and develop players but not to the extent of those teams.
cowcatcher
12/23/08 6:36:32PM
i grew up loving the yankees and still have a soft spot for them, after the brew crew of course, but until they win again after dropping tons of cash i wouldnt worry too much about it. the young steineys will blow daddys fortune soon and mark cuban will start running the show up there
Shawn91111
12/23/08 6:42:44PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

As a red sox fan, it's a sad day. I didn't think the Yankees would enter into the Texiera sweepstakes. The sox definetely could have used his big bat. Is he worth 22.5 Million a year though? Absolutely not. He's one of the top players in the league, but he's not head and shoulder's above anyone else. As far as CC Sabathia, I can almost guarantee that he's going to fold under the pressure in New York and balloon up to near 400lbs in the restaurant paradise that is New York City.

Let them keep overpaying for players. It hasn't worked for eight years and it's not going to start.

This coming from a Sox fan? Overpaying players? ummm JD Drew? Julio Lugo? Is it the Yankees fault that they added 1 more year and $10 million more to the offer the Sox offered Tex? No one knows how a player will perform in the media pressure filled NYC. They can be El Duque and David Wells or they can be McDowell or Weaver. There is an adjustment period so its a wait and see. I never thought Mussina would be able to handle it and he did and then some.
FrankTheTank1181
12/23/08 6:45:56PM
I can't wait for the Yankess to miss the playoffs again.
postman
12/23/08 6:48:24PM
I think this might be the Pirates Year so sign who you want We are going to the top!
Wolfenstein
12/23/08 6:56:24PM
[

This coming from a Sox fan? Overpaying players? ummm JD Drew? Julio Lugo? Is it the Yankees fault that they added 1 more year and $10 million more to the offer the Sox offered Tex? No one knows how a player will perform in the media pressure filled NYC. They can be El Duque and David Wells or they can be McDowell or Weaver. There is an adjustment period so its a wait and see. I never thought Mussina would be able to handle it and he did and then some.

Don't get me wrong, the Red Sox are guilty as charged. I just mean it's a bummer Texiera went to the division rivals. More power to the Evil Empire, they out-maneuvered the Red Sox. I'm sure Theo probably thought Boras would blink when other teams started rescinding offers.

JD's worth 14, he's clutch. As far as Lugo...let me wash the throwup out of my mouth and I'll get back to you.
Shawn91111
12/23/08 7:04:18PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

[

Don't get me wrong, the Red Sox are guilty as charged. I just mean it's a bummer Texiera went to the division rivals. More power to the Evil Empire, they out-maneuvered the Red Sox. I'm sure Theo probably thought Boras would blink when other teams started rescinding offers.

JD's worth 14, he's clutch. As far as Lugo...let me wash the throwup out of my mouth and I'll get back to you.

I was feeling that way when the sox were going after Tex, and it should be a good season. The Sox have developed better players the last few years thats for sure, but I hope Hughes turns it around. I knew the Yankees were semi in it, kinda how the Sox were semi in the Sabithia and Burnett deals, mostly just to kinda F with the Yankees. I didnt believe they would get him over the Sox, Angels or Baltimore. Although Im glad, he is the best 1B in the AL and 2nd or 3rd in MLB, behind Pujols and Howard
Ordep
12/24/08 12:02:52AM
I grew up in Puerto Rico watching our pro baseball league during the early 90s where guys like Alomar, Rodriguez,Gonzalez,Lopez,Delgado and WILLIAMS played here and it was awesome. My admiration for Bernie made me a Yankee fan in 1994 and since then I've been loyal to it. The people hating them makes me like them even more

Current mood:

CC, AJ, Mark Tex. , New Stadium....= me going there sometime next season.

Will they bring Manny to put the icing on the cake?
I don't really think so, but... AJ and MT were not expected also, so....
Shawn91111
12/24/08 12:29:21AM

Posted by Ordep

I grew up in Puerto Rico watching our pro baseball league during the early 90s where guys like Alomar, Rodriguez,Gonzalez,Lopez,Delgado and WILLIAMS played here and it was awesome. My admiration for Bernie made me a Yankee fan in 1994 and since then I've been loyal to it. The people hating them makes me like them even more

Current mood:

CC, AJ, Mark Tex. , New Stadium....= me going there sometime next season.

Will they bring Manny to put the icing on the cake?
I don't really think so, but... AJ and MT were not expected also, so....

No chance on Manny, just no where to put him. He wants a 3 year deal and will be 39 or so by the time it ends. He is without a doubt one of the greatest right handed hitters ever and a true run producer, but he is a head case. If they didnt get Tex id say go for Manny because if anything he can protect Arod and give them another power bat.
ko-kbo130
12/24/08 4:33:50AM
i dont get all the hate. they are still 20 million dollars under the payroll they had last year. i wouldnt be suprised if the yanks bring one more big name in.
emfleek
12/24/08 9:33:31AM
I hate the Yankees...but I wish the Cubs were the same way. Very rarely do we land the "big name" free agent in the offseason. It's happened via trade a time or two but it's pretty rare.

I'd love it if my team tried to field the absolute best team year in and year out. Anyone who says they wouldn't want their team to spend money like the Yanks do...well, you're full of sh*t.
zephead
12/24/08 10:32:34AM
As long as the keep spending and keep losing, I'm good with it. Baseball is a joke and Selig has to be the worst Commish is sports (Next to Bettman). The Royals, Pirates and such can not compete with the Yanks and Sox financially. I hope baseballs TV numbers keep falling. The numbers for the World Series were horrible.

D0wnUnd6e6r
12/24/08 11:00:12AM

Are you really surprised about this though? they been doing it since Georgey boy took over the team wich is a very long time ago.
RampageOwnedYou
12/24/08 12:05:39PM
Im not suprised, im pissed off!!

This is unfare to every other team in the majors.
Whoever is a Yankee fan, is not going to be upset about this, why would they? I wouldnt be upset if my team has a huge advantage on every other team.

AchillesHeel
12/24/08 12:34:21PM

When the Yankees stop being worth so much money to the league. In 2005, the Yankees contributed $77m in revenue sharing to the 16 teams with the lowest revenue, and another $34m in payroll taxes. As of a year ago, Major League Baseball was close to catching the NFL as the most lucrative sport in the US, and the Yankees are the flagship of the fleet. Also about a year ago, a financial analyst estimated that the YES Network was seeing a profit margin of 60%, twice the average for regional sports networks. And the $1.2b stadium that opens in the spring will probably increase the Yankees' revenues.

I'm not sure there's much the league can do. I think adopting an NFL-style business model is more complex than simply deciding to do it. My guess is it would take a second Civil War, in business terms, for a salary cap to be introduced. I think the 1994 players strike was financially terrible for everybody, and the teams that would benefit from a radically different payroll structure would probably be hurt the most by an interruption to the playing season. The '94 strike didn't kill the Yankees and Red Sox, it killed the Montreal Expos.
Ordep
12/24/08 12:38:52PM

Posted by emfleek

I hate the Yankees...but I wish the Cubs were the same way. Very rarely do we land the "big name" free agent in the offseason. It's happened via trade a time or two but it's pretty rare.

I'd love it if my team tried to field the absolute best team year in and year out. Anyone who says they wouldn't want their team to spend money like the Yanks do...well, you're full of sh*t.

Bingo!

Yankees keep their economy running and their reputation by doing this. They've been losing the playoffs for a while now but still keep their fans by doing things like these. Last year was new manager and the bunch of new young pitchers, didn't work for the win, but still sold a lot of tickets and merch. This year new stadium and 3/10 of the top 10 free agents, again, lot of sales = steady fan based economy for them. E.G. Go anc check the #s of pre-ordered CC Sabathia's Jerseys.
They're selling their bleachers for the Exhibition games for 25 cents. That's the bottom line, they don't win but still figure their way to maintain the baseball spirit in the Bronx.
Those "lower" teams should do something to give some "hope" or "excitement" to the fans and the rest of the team, thus giving their town a chance to revive the passion, but if they're not willing to spend money on it, is not going to happen.
AchillesHeel
12/24/08 12:52:57PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by emfleek

Bingo!

Yankees keep their economy running and their reputation by doing this. They've been losing the playoffs for a while now but still keep their fans by doing things like these. Last year was new manager and the bunch of new young pitchers, didn't work for the win, but still sold a lot of tickets and merch. This year new stadium and 3/10 of the top 10 free agents, again, lot of sales = steady fan based economy for them. E.G. Go anc check the #s of pre-ordered CC Sabathia's Jerseys.
They're selling their bleachers for the Exhibition games for 25 cents. That's the bottom line, they don't win but still figure their way to maintain the baseball spirit in the Bronx.
Those "lower" teams should do something to give some "hope" or "excitement" to the fans and the rest of the team, thus giving their town a chance to revive the passion, but if they're not willing to spend money on it, is not going to happen.

Right, that's worth pointing out too. The Yankees may have the biggest market, but they've also mined it for all it's worth. Other teams haven't. The Red Sox were probably the worst-run American sports franchise of the 20th Century. They could have had Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays playing alongside Ted Williams in the 1950s (Pee Wee Reese too), but finishing 4th was evidently preferable to having Black guys on the team . Since the new ownership group took over, the Red Sox have become a monster. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers, Angels, White Sox and Cubs have untapped revenue potential equal to that of the Red Sox.
Jackelope
12/24/08 3:31:13PM
Like some have said already- just because you've got the big names doesn't mean you're guaranteed a win.

That being said- I don't like it at all, either. I think baseball does need a salary cap. How long is it until the ridiculous salaries translates more and more into the already ridiculous ticket prices and concessions? 9.50 for a damn light beer at a baseball game. That's ridiculous. 5 bucks for a hot dog, etc. It's out of control.

I am not sure how much of this is due to player salaries, but I don't imagine any of it helps
Pages: [1] 2