PR thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » PR thread
fedorwins1
2/26/07 5:15:45PM
I can't believe no one has come up with this thread yet so I'll start it. Post you PR's in Bench, Squat, and Deadlift and your age and weight.

weight:145lbs

bench:215lbs

squat:300lbs

deadlift:340lbs
bayonetxwork
2/26/07 5:42:37PM

weight: 160

bench: 235lbs

squat: 360ish lbs

deadlift: haven't maxed out my deadlift in foreverrrr.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/6/07 5:30:07PM

Bench:225

Deadlift:315

Squat:205 (bad knee)

Arm curl:55 (lol)
fedorwins1
3/6/07 6:29:04PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Arm curl:55 (lol)

it's all about tha guns lol
Svartorm
3/7/07 1:50:56AM

Weight: 200-230

Bench: 310lbs

Squat: Haven't done it in years because of my junk knees, but in high school I could do 420lbs

Curl: 70lbs per arm

Lat pull: 220lbs per arm

Deadlift: Haven't done it in awhile, but close to 400lbs.

I do kettlebell and strongman stuff more than conventional weights nowadays, so some of these numbers are rather old.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/7/07 1:11:05PM

Posted by Svartorm

I do kettlebell and strongman stuff more than conventional weights nowadays, so some of these numbers are rather old.

Even though I really suck at it, im much more interested in power lifting than body building too.

I used to body build like crazy before I started fight training. When I stepped into Muay Thai class for the first time I was weak and tired and I could hardly keep my hands up for the hour training session. Jui jitsu class I was getting tapped out by 140 lbs teenagers. Since then I've really noticed how a lot of body building excercises make virtually no difference in MMA.

I see new guys that come into class now who are really pumped and strong in terms of body building, and yet they get owned by more skilled, yet much smaller opponents because body building conditioning doesnt equate to overall strength nearly as much as people think it does.

My coach always says "speed is power" and thats why I think Fedor is so successful because he moves like a WW with the strength of a HW.

IMO body building is really lame because its all about the image or looking tough than actually being such

your thoughts?
fedorwins1
3/7/07 5:12:40PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Svartorm

Even though I really suck at it, im much more interested in power lifting than body building too.

I used to body build like crazy before I started fight training. When I stepped into Muay Thai class for the first time I was weak and tired and I could hardly keep my hands up for the hour training session. Jui jitsu class I was getting tapped out by 140 lbs teenagers. Since then I've really noticed how a lot of body building excercises make virtually no difference in MMA.

I see new guys that come into class now who are really pumped and strong in terms of body building, and yet they get owned by more skilled, yet much smaller opponents because body building conditioning doesnt equate to overall strength nearly as much as people think it does.

My coach always says "speed is power" and thats why I think Fedor is so successful because he moves like a WW with the strength of a HW.

IMO body building is really lame because its all about the image or looking tough than actually being such

your thoughts?

If you mean lifts like squat, deadlift, and bench, power clean are bodybuilding then I would say you are wrong. Those are powerlifter kinds of lifts not bodybuilder, strongman type lifts are probablly better for MMA, but squats, deadlifts, bench, or powercleans are effective in MMA.
papercut
3/7/07 5:29:14PM

weight:153lbs

bench:175lbs

squat:275lbs

deadlift:220lbs
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/8/07 2:22:05PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Svartorm

your thoughts?

If you mean lifts like squat, deadlift, and bench, power clean are bodybuilding then I would say you are wrong. Those are powerlifter kinds of lifts not bodybuilder, strongman type lifts are probablly better for MMA, but squats, deadlifts, bench, or powercleans are effective in MMA.

Squats, deadlifts, compound movements isnt what I mean. I mean going to the Gym and doing a billion Arm curls and tricep pulldowns, followed by chest flys.
Isolation movements=body builder, compound movements=strength
fedorwins1
3/10/07 10:25:10AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Svartorm

your thoughts?

Squats, deadlifts, compound movements isnt what I mean. I mean going to the Gym and doing a billion Arm curls and tricep pulldowns, followed by chest flys.
Isolation movements=body builder, compound movements=strength

ok i get it now i agree with you. does anyone else think biceps are usless in MMA?
jimmyjames2182
3/10/07 10:59:43AM

weight:180
bench:200
squat:240
deadlift:320-about two years ago
arm curls:45 for the right hand of doom, 35 for the left--considerably weaker
Chec22
3/10/07 11:24:36AM

ok i get it now i agree with you. does anyone else think biceps are usless in MMA?

I have to disagree. Biceps are part of your pulling muscles. Trapping, clinching, take downs, different subs. Pulling is essential for that stuff. I agree that you should concentrate on compund movements, but for those that think body building is the way to go, they definately should not ignore them.
jdubs
3/10/07 6:56:41PM
age-just turned 19

weight-175-80

bench-280
squat-335
clean-220
never realy done deadlift for weight?
bayonetxwork
3/10/07 8:08:01PM

Posted by fedorwins1

for the most part they are. The only time where they become more important is when your grappling and say you locked in an armbar but he is defending. From there its strength, theres not much technique you can use from that position to overpower a guy stronger than you, thats the only way i see them important. Thats why like Jeff said speed is power, if they don't see it coming, it doesn't matter how strong you are.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/11/07 2:04:01PM

Posted by Chec22

I have to disagree. Biceps are part of your pulling muscles. Trapping, clinching, take downs, different subs. Pulling is essential for that stuff. I agree that you should concentrate on compund movements, but for those that think body building is the way to go, they definately should not ignore them.

I think getting big biceps as a by product from doing exercises like chin-up, cleans,

and back exercises accounts for more useful muscle mass than straight up arm curls
fedorwins1
6/8/07 7:35:10PM
update:

weight: 147

bench: 215

squat: 350

deadlift: 380

My bench hasn't gone up, because I've been focusing more on my legs, I'm joining the powerlifting team, with those numbers I should get top 3 every meet, well around here anyway