need help!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » need help!
derekcalado
11/21/07 11:24:02PM
i am 169lbs i have to make it to the mid 150's by early January. im cutting weight to fight a kid who is 145ish and is extremely athletic. ive been training for MMA for 3 months and have a year of boxing under my belt. his striking is not that great, and he is quik on the ground. i need a game plan. my plan was to ground and pound. i also need a diet plan as well.
bayonetxwork
11/21/07 11:32:30PM

Posted by derekcalado

i am 169lbs i have to make it to the mid 150's by early January. im cutting weight to fight a kid who is 145ish and is extremely athletic. ive been training for MMA for 3 months and have a year of boxing under my belt. his striking is not that great, and he is quik on the ground. i need a game plan. my plan was to ground and pound. i also need a diet plan as well.

Well what weight exactly are you fighting at? Honestly you could cut to 160lbs pretty easy, just by doing cardio, and cutting out the obvious flaws in your current diet without anything to specific.

BTW, you have a fight already and you've only been training for 3 months?
jiujitsufreak74
11/21/07 11:42:06PM
as far as gameplan goes, since you have only 3 months of mma experience, i suggest avoiding the ground a bit if your background is boxing. i don't know if you have ever done wrestling and i have to assume that the guy your fighting knows JJ (if he knows some JJ don't go to the ground b/c you lack the experience) so i suggest do your best to keep it standing and use your boxing as much as possible. i would work on a good sprawl and go for power punches if he is a speedier guy because you should be a lot bigger and stronger than him judging by the weight your cutting. with this tid bit of info you gave me, thats what advice i can give you.
Svartorm
11/22/07 12:31:59AM
I'd spend the next few weeks working your clinch game to avoid takedowns, working on a sprawl and working on standing if you've been taken down. Also, bump your cardio up there, which will help with the weight loss as well.

As for ground and pounding a superior grappler, its dicey in most cases. If you have to do it from guard, make sure you posture up to avoid triangles and don't get crazy. I'd actually recommend punching and dropping elbows to the body a majority of the time, as you'll be in less danger of armbars and triangles that way. Being as you're both amatuer, his gastank and ability to take punishment shouldn't be that great, so that could give you a huge advantage later in a fight, provided you came in to fight the full duration as well.

If you do get taken down, the main thing is to not panic and to not waste energy. Try to work to a postion you're comfortable in, and stall out the fight if you have to. In general, ground and pound from the bottom is a waste of energy unless you can get a clean shot to the ribs with a knee, or some other opportunity presents itself. Work basic escapes from triangles and straight armbars, provided the guy you're fighting is a BJJ fighter. If hes a wrestler, work escapes from bottom instead, as he'll more than likely GnP you.

Control the distance on the feet and don't get carried away, as that'll open you up for takedowns. Control distance with your jab and if you're safely landing the jab, start working in jab crosses, or any other combo you're comfortable with.

Thats all I can think of for now, although if you give us some more info on this guy, we might be able to work out a revised gameplan.
derekcalado
11/22/07 8:42:49AM

I know i have only been training for 3 months but i'm willing to gain some expirience. i train bjj 2-3 times a week, lift 2-3 times a week, and am always doing some sort of boxing

the kid im going against is pretty good on the ground. he does have jj under his belt. im not to worried about getting taken to the ground because his takedowns are pathetic.
bayonetxwork
11/22/07 9:32:09AM

Posted by derekcalado

I know i have only been training for 3 months but i'm willing to gain some expirience. i train bjj 2-3 times a week, lift 2-3 times a week, and am always doing some sort of boxing

the kid im going against is pretty good on the ground. he does have jj under his belt. im not to worried about getting taken to the ground because his takedowns are pathetic.

Well the most important thing for you IMO is train your sprawl, and some pummeling. You're gonna be way stronger than this kid because you're cutting down, if you get underhooks on the feet, your in no danger, unless you get sloppy and he penetrates an outside trip or some shit. Just make sure you can sprawl against his outside shot.

If you can do that, just pick him apart standing.
Svartorm
11/23/07 12:54:56AM
Do you know what kind of takedowns he generally goes for? If he has lousy trip or clinch takedowns, then you should be able to own him if you work your clinch/pummeling game like bayonet suggested. Being the physically larger guy, this will also wear the smaller man down if cardio is a question. If he has a lousy shot, definitely work not just a sprawl, but counter-striking from the sprawl.

Generally if someone has a lousy shot, its because they're hesitating, and you can take full advantage of this, but faking a sprawl and countering with uppercuts or hooks. Knees might work as well, but that increases the chance of you hitting the ground, and if all this guy has is a grappling game, theres no sense in going anywhere near his territory.

A big part of fighting, especially against amatuers, is taking them out of their element, as you tend to tire faster when you're nervous and/or uncomfortable in a fight, besides killing the confidence.
Jackelope
11/23/07 1:52:39AM
IMO you should be listening to your coach, whoever that might be. Asking a bunch of people on the internet who have no idea who you are or who this other kid is could lead to things you don't want to be lead to. Just my honest opinion. Trying as hard as possible to not sound like a jerk here.
KeNn
11/23/07 8:26:35AM
lol go hard for the knock out first round.

don't let him get you to the ground, if he does posture yourself into a comfortable position, IF NOT ask your mma trainer to teach you a bunch of submissions from the ground.
so your not only tougher on your feet, but you are more prepared.

derekcalado
11/23/07 12:32:52PM

Posted by Svartorm

Do you know what kind of takedowns he generally goes for? If he has lousy trip or clinch takedowns, then you should be able to own him if you work your clinch/pummeling game like bayonet suggested. Being the physically larger guy, this will also wear the smaller man down if cardio is a question. If he has a lousy shot, definitely work not just a sprawl, but counter-striking from the sprawl.

Generally if someone has a lousy shot, its because they're hesitating, and you can take full advantage of this, but faking a sprawl and countering with uppercuts or hooks. Knees might work as well, but that increases the chance of you hitting the ground, and if all this guy has is a grappling game, theres no sense in going anywhere near his territory.

A big part of fighting, especially against amatuers, is taking them out of their element, as you tend to tire faster when you're nervous and/or uncomfortable in a fight, besides killing the confidence.

he likes to throw a 1-2 combo then form tackle, he also likes the clinch.
Svartorm
11/24/07 12:54:04AM
Thats easy to get around, and being the larger guy, the clinch should be your game. Working your cardio, boxing and clinch would be your best bet in the time you have remaining before the fight. Lots of upper body excercise, especially the back and shoulders would help as well.
hunterlcs92
11/24/07 2:12:48PM
Stay on your feet. I fhe takes you down punch to get yourself to stand back up. If you knock him down with a punch then just wait for him to coem back up...if he does.
fedorwins1
11/24/07 2:44:56PM
So this is just a backyard mma fight?