UFC 95 - White hints that Leites could face Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 95 - White hints that Leites could face Anderson Silva
Rampage200
12/10/08 3:30:47AM
UFC President, Dana White, has confirmed that Brazilian ground wizard, Thales Leites is on the verge of being named the next man to face UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, for his title.

Continued...
TheNatural915
12/10/08 7:40:38AM
That's another dumb fight, Leites is good but he is no where near Silva. I want to see some super fights if silva only has 5 fights left
pinoymixplaya
12/10/08 8:14:42AM
If Yushin Okami wins his next fight, he deserves the next title shot. Don't get me wrong, I am starting to like Leites but who has he fought that were top tier fighters in the division? Ryan Jensen? Floyd Sword? Pete Sell? A "win" over Nate Marquardt? Sorry but although he is on a 5 win streak, he definitely needs to fight some top middleweights first like maybe Demien Maia or Michael Bisping.
emac_cleary
12/10/08 8:59:14AM
this sucks it was meant to be a huge fight like silva v chuck, now were getting quoted poor fghts like silva v cane at lhw and silva v thales
ohiostate1016
12/10/08 9:13:14AM
I don't really understand why the UFC wants Silva to face guys that he will obviously dominate. But then again, maybe they are setting up something big down the line for The Spider and don't want to risk a loss to one of their biggest names before the UFC 100 event in July. I'm thinking that he could be fighting somebody like Rashad or Rampage, but not for the title.

Or...he could face Randall Couture. That would be mucho interesting.
finnish_line
12/10/08 9:34:37AM

Leites is definitely worth a #1 contender's match slot. Not a title shot yet.
prozacnation1978
12/10/08 9:48:53AM
i wanna see title fights not fights against guys that won't move them up
silva vs lidell is dumb now

cane should fight jardine or lidell

i think either right now with okami getting screwed again it should be leites or maia i mean if cote can get a shot why not leites
so what if leites gets killed
i hope this fight happens in feb
Twenty20Dollars
12/10/08 11:36:29AM
silva vs liddell or silva vs cane are pointless those are not super fights.

This makes more sense, because I think silva wants to stay at 185. But I thought Leites was going to face Maia.

But this is still a decent fight and Leites still has a good chance if he can get the fight to the ground.

Also take the fact that Dana just "hinted" towards the idea so its not true.
theguido
12/10/08 12:37:10PM
Thales Leites has little to no chance in this fight 1 his stand up is no where near Silva 2. His carido is suspect 3. he hasn't earned it yet.
I think peolpe are going to get pretty sick of Dana giving TITLE fights to people that haven't cleaned out or earned a true shot at any belt.
cmill21
12/10/08 12:56:41PM

Posted by theguido

Thales Leites has little to no chance in this fight 1 his stand up is no where near Silva 2. His carido is suspect 3. he hasn't earned it yet.
I think peolpe are going to get pretty sick of Dana giving TITLE fights to people that haven't cleaned out or earned a true shot at any belt.

If he got Anderson to the ground he could easily end it at any moment.
Princeofpunk
12/10/08 2:10:14PM

Posted by theguido

You mean like how anderson got a shot at franklin?

Because after beating Leben that to me doesn't give you a title shot.

If Anderson got one after only 1 fight in the UFC, (Other Orgs don't matter) Then why can't leites get one?
gsquat
12/10/08 2:48:23PM
Oooooohhhhh no! Silva's gonna kill Leites!
higdon10
12/10/08 3:56:44PM
Silva is going to destroy him. I was hoping to see Leites/Maia for a shot at Silva.
JackHammerXXX
12/10/08 6:14:11PM
If the UFC is still approaching the "who will we put against Silva next?" game, and doing it so with the mentality of finding a ground/submission guy, who can do what Lutter did (until he got choked and elbowed from guard), or what Hendo did in the first round. If so, then yeah, Leites is a good choice.
Originally, it was rumored to be Chuck, wasn't all too excited for that one. Then, I heard that they were going to wait out this UFC 92, and send one of the losers of the two big LHW fights to him(even in 2months time?), also I heard Luiz Cane. Now, I like Cane, but if these indeed are Silva's last 5,6 whatever fights, then I want Big fights, Big Names, Big challenges. Cane would be an underdog thriving for a defining moment, and in my mind would over achieve against the Spider. Not that means he'd be successful, completely, but hey. And now, it's Leites. Besides the fact that he didn't fight Goran like he was supposed to, he hasn't fought anyone to be in that spot.
If we are looking for the ground guy to put in their, put my money making boy Demian Maia in their with him. Better yet, Maia vs. Leites before this, Silva vs. Leites!!!Please
motorboatensob
12/10/08 6:15:07PM
What a wast of a fight.
Wolfenstein
12/10/08 6:25:05PM
I think Thales is probably the most deserving at the moment, and has a pretty good shot at winning because of his excellent ground game. He did defeat Nate Marquardt (controversial or not) and has won 5 fights in a row (which was plenty for Cote).

Maia down the road would probably pose the greatest challenge at MW, but right now Leites is probably the best guy left (as far as people who haven't fouht Silva previously).

He's no slouch on his fet either and he can absorb some punishment. I'd be very interested in seeing this matchup.