M-1 and Showtime Reach Broadcast Deal, First Event Airs on March 25

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » M-1 and Showtime Reach Broadcast Deal, First Event Airs on March 25
emfleek
2/18/11 8:31:29AM
International fight promotion M-1 Global and premium U.S. cable channel Showtime have reached a deal to televise four U.S. events in 2011, MMA Fighting has learned.

The first event will take place on March 25 at the Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. and air at 11 p.m. ET. It will be the first of four M-1 U.S. Challenge shows to appear on the network this year, sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

The deal is expected to be officially announced on Friday morning.

M-1 is best known as the company that manages the career of Russian MMA great Fedor Emelianenko, but a promotional arm has been running events in Europe and other parts of the world for over a decade.

LINK
MaxOne
2/18/11 1:00:48PM
that's cool. I never get to watch M-1 events live and they put on some good shows.
postman
2/18/11 2:06:12PM
Sorry the only M1 shows I watch have a man named Fedor on them. I will not support those idoits
grappler0000
2/18/11 2:33:22PM

Posted by postman

Sorry the only M1 shows I watch have a man named Fedor on them. I will not support those idoits

+1
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 3:56:08PM

Posted by postman

Hey Bob, what's an "idoit?"

I can't imagine that, given M-1's business dealings, this deal will hang around too long. If Fedor retires I'm not sure M-1 has anyone left, whom they represent, that will encourage StrikeForce and DREAM to continue to need to co-promote with them.

I, for one, seriously hope that M-1's hand is out of the, proverbial, pie sooner rather than later.
prozacnation1978
2/18/11 4:00:41PM
Sweet more fights to watch.
I only watch m-1 on fox sports channel. At late night but they are just reruns
Gotta get something to plug the void when wec merged
Strikeforce, bellator now this. Any a possible tv deal with shark fights. Is okay
Cooler
2/18/11 4:38:44PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

I can't imagine that, given M-1's business dealings, this deal will hang around too long. If Fedor retires I'm not sure M-1 has anyone left, whom they represent, that will encourage StrikeForce and DREAM to continue to need to co-promote with them.

I, for one, seriously hope that M-1's hand is out of the, proverbial, pie sooner rather than later.

Talk about clueless fans

M-1 puts on good events and they have a lot of great up and coming fighters, thus why showtime is giving them airtime. Before you two bash an entire org. because of your own personal hate for it, research and watch the events first...
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 4:47:50PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Talk about clueless fans

M-1 puts on good events and they have a lot of great up and coming fighters, thus why showtime is giving them airtime. Before you two bash an entire org. because of your own personal hate for it, research and watch the events first...

Do you have a personal vendetta toward me or are you just trolling? I'm one of three people on this thread ALONE that said they didn't care for M-1 and would not support them yet you felt the need to only quote me.

I have watched M-1 events. As I'm sure both Postman and Grappler have as well.

I've watch both Breakthrough and their Challenge series. I don't care for M-1 and their business dealings are no secret. Because of this, I choose not to support them. That doesn't make me clueless. It makes me a consumer that wishes to boycott a product.

You've basically called three people on this thread "clueless" because we choose not to support M-1. Can you support your claim that we are, in fact, clueless? Or are you just trying to start a flame war?
Cooler
2/18/11 4:54:59PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Cooler

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Talk about clueless fans

Do you have a personal vendetta toward me or are you just trolling? I'm one of three people on this thread ALONE that said they didn't care for M-1 and would not support them yet you felt the need to only quote me.

I have watched M-1 events. As I'm sure both Postman and Grappler have as well.

I've watch both Breakthrough and their Challenge series. I don't care for M-1 and their business dealings are no secret. Because of this, I choose not to support them. That doesn't make me clueless. It makes me a consumer that wishes to boycott a product.

You've basically called three people on this thread "clueless" because we choose not to support M-1. Can you support your claim that we are, in fact, clueless? Or are you just trying to start a flame war?

M-1 is putting on great cards and im sick of people calling them crap and acting like zuffa is gods gift to man when M-1 put on better shows this year P4P then anything the UFC has been putting out lately. Strikeforce and M-1 are doing a great thing by working together with Strikeforce to give us great tournaments and free cards on showtime.

You said..."If Fedor retires M-1 wont have anyone left" what a load of crap, Fedor hasnt been on a strictly M-1 card in years, its always been co-promoted with a big org. The actual M-1 cards dont need Fedor lets get that out of the way now.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 5:30:43PM

Posted by Cooler

M-1 is putting on great cards and im sick of people calling them crap and acting like zuffa is gods gift to man when M-1 put on better shows this year P4P then anything the UFC has been putting out lately. Strikeforce and M-1 are doing a great thing by working together with Strikeforce to give us great tournaments and free cards on showtime.

You said..."If Fedor retires M-1 wont have anyone left" what a load of crap, Fedor hasnt been on a strictly M-1 card in years, its always been co-promoted with a big org. The actual M-1 cards dont need Fedor lets get that out of the way now.

Nice way to take a portion of what I said, edit it to include words that weren't there, and use it to fit your argument.

If Fedor retires I'm not sure M-1 has anyone left, whom they represent, that will encourage StrikeForce and DREAM to continue to need to co-promote with them.

Is what I actually said. If you're going to quote me, use the whole sentence, otherwise you're just trolling and trying to start flame wars.

And please don't put comments in my mouth.

im sick of people calling them crap and acting like zuffa is gods gift to man

I never said any of that. I commented on their business practices and said that I wouldn't support them as a consumer because of their business practices. That's within my right as a consumer and has nothing to do with Zuffa being less than, equal to, or greater than M-1.

ncordless
2/18/11 5:38:54PM
M-1 as promoter of a feeder organization that stirs up talent in Eastern Europe is a good thing.

M-1 as management of Fedor is a bad thing.

Cooler
2/18/11 6:03:13PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Nice way to take a portion of what I said, edit it to include words that weren't there, and use it to fit your argument.

Most of what you said was not relevant.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
If Fedor retires I'm not sure M-1 has anyone left, whom they represent, that will encourage StrikeForce and DREAM to continue to need to co-promote with them.

They have lots of talent, and you saying that they need Fedor is proof that you dont watch or follow M-1 close enough to be so opinionated about it. Strikeforce obviously doesnt care if Fedor retires and showtime obviously doesnt care either if theyre putting on M-1 cards without Fedor lol.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Is what I actually said. If you're going to quote me, use the whole sentence, otherwise you're just trolling and trying to start flame wars.

I didnt edit any of what you said lol I dont need to address every single footnote you write, lets put down the pretentious cool aid for now shall we?

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
I never said any of that. I commented on their business practices and said that I wouldn't support them as a consumer because of their business practices. That's within my right as a consumer and has nothing to do with Zuffa being less than, equal to, or greater than M-1.

You didnt have to call it crap, you said enough bad things about M-1 and I feel the need to defend them from negative people like you. If you dont wanna watch it dont watch it, but dont spread your hate to those who want to watch more mma and may not know too much about M-1.

I dont like how M-1 deals with Fedor either but lets stop the hate already.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 6:19:04PM

Posted by Cooler

Most of what you said was not relevant.

There were three sentences in my entire post. One directed to Postman, the post that you conveniently decided to edit to fit your argument, and my desire to see M-1's hand removed from the MMA pie.

Both were relevant.

They have lots of talent, and you saying that they need Fedor is proof that you dont watch or follow M-1 close enough to be so opinionated about it. Strikeforce obviously doesnt care if Fedor retires and showtime obviously doesnt care either if theyre putting on M-1 cards without Fedor lol.

Once again, you need to read my whole post and quit using portions it. Co-promotion has nothing to do with a stand-alone card. If you need further proof that companies are tired of dealing with M-1 how's this work for you

"I don't think that they will admit this to us on the record at least but, trust me, I'm not going to call anyone out but I spoke to a few people in Strikeforce who, when I said ‘what does this mean?', a smile instantly appeared on their face. I mean, I'm not saying that they're rooting for Fedor, obviously not, but let's be honest, I mean, everyone knows that it's very hard to deal with M-1. So, now, April 9th it's not an M-1 Global & Strikeforce event. That's just a Strikeforce event."

Link

Or does Ariel Helwani also not follow M-1 closely enough to have an opinion?

I didnt edit any of what you said lol I dont need to address every single footnote you write, lets put down the pretentious cool aid for now shall we?

Your post to me said

That is most certainly not what I said. I said I'm not sure if they will have anyone that can continue to convince StrikeForce and DREAM to continue to co-promote. You're posting that I said something as a fact when I merely offered an observation about the fact that they have lost Mousasi and, possibly, Fedor, which were some of their bigger draws. Companies don't like to deal with M-1. It goes beyond their handling of Fedor and I've provided you proof of that.

So, yes, you did "edit" what I said. You changed my wording to something completely different than what I actually said.

You didnt have to call it crap, you said enough bad things about M-1 and I feel the need to defend them from negative people like you. If you dont wanna watch it dont watch it, but dont spread your hate to those who want to watch more mma and may not know too much about M-1.

I'm curious, what are these awful things that *I* have said about M-1? I've talked about their business practices, which is something that multiple different organizations have complained about, and I've said that I won't support their product. What are these "bad" things? You're attempting to twist my posts and my reasons for not wanting to support M-1 in to me bashing an organization. It's simply not the case and I'm not going to sit back and pretend like it's okay.

Cooler
2/18/11 6:55:39PM
I hear you, I dont like the way they work either but I appreciate the mma events they put on regardless of how I feel about their management and I hope you give it another chance when it airs on showtime
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 7:26:29PM

Posted by Cooler

I hear you, I dont like the way they work either but I appreciate the mma events they put on regardless of how I feel about their management and I hope you give it another chance when it airs on showtime

I'm not saying that M-1, as just a name, is god awful. It's management. It's the way in which the company is being ran. I'm also not ruling out the possibility of my EVER watching them again in the future.

I simply think that changes could be made at the management level of the organization which would benefit them as a corporation. When you're a fledgling corporation trying to gain a solid base the last thing you should be doing is demanding an equal part of the pie and recognition when you're not contributing an equal share.

StrikeForce might not be the biggest organization, but it seems silly to me that they had to share much of the profit with M-1 and (to my understanding) cover Fedor's salary with Showtime.

Fedor is but one name one a card and M-1 acts like they're supplying 50% of the fighters for these cards. I get that they have their hand in Red Devil and such, but I cannot find anyone that M-1 has under contract other than Fedor and Amoussou.

It seems strange to me that M-1 insists on a 50/50 split with StrikeForce when StrikeForce is, literally, supplying 99.9% of the fighters on any one card.

It's like me coming to you suggesting we open a store together and I've only got $100, but I insist it be called BlueSkiesBurn & Cooler's Emporium. What incentive do you have to want to co-promote a business with me when I bring, literally, almost nothing to the table?

M-1, thus far, has only really been able to put on 1 show outside of their Challenge series. StrikeForce, as an organization, has held a number of successful shows.

I cannot fathom how any business, in their right mind, would choose to operate as though they're an equal partner, and insist as much when, clearly, they're not.

It's not the "name" M-1 that I'm boycotting. It's the current management system which operates M-1. If Scooby-Doo operated M-1 like it's currently being ran, I'd boycott it as well.

ncordless
2/19/11 5:46:46AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Cooler

I'm not saying that M-1, as just a name, is god awful. It's management. It's the way in which the company is being ran. I'm also not ruling out the possibility of my EVER watching them again in the future.

I simply think that changes could be made at the management level of the organization which would benefit them as a corporation. When you're a fledgling corporation trying to gain a solid base the last thing you should be doing is demanding an equal part of the pie and recognition when you're not contributing an equal share.

StrikeForce might not be the biggest organization, but it seems silly to me that they had to share much of the profit with M-1 and (to my understanding) cover Fedor's salary with Showtime.

Fedor is but one name one a card and M-1 acts like they're supplying 50% of the fighters for these cards. I get that they have their hand in Red Devil and such, but I cannot find anyone that M-1 has under contract other than Fedor and Amoussou.

It seems strange to me that M-1 insists on a 50/50 split with StrikeForce when StrikeForce is, literally, supplying 99.9% of the fighters on any one card.

It's like me coming to you suggesting we open a store together and I've only got $100, but I insist it be called BlueSkiesBurn & Cooler's Emporium. What incentive do you have to want to co-promote a business with me when I bring, literally, almost nothing to the table?

M-1, thus far, has only really been able to put on 1 show outside of their Challenge series. StrikeForce, as an organization, has held a number of successful shows.

I cannot fathom how any business, in their right mind, would choose to operate as though they're an equal partner, and insist as much when, clearly, they're not.

It's not the "name" M-1 that I'm boycotting. It's the current management system which operates M-1. If Scooby-Doo operated M-1 like it's currently being ran, I'd boycott it as well.

M-1 also has all the international rights to co-promoted cards, I believe. Not sure how effective they are with them, but I seem to recall hearing that.

What is really crappy about M-1 is the mix of fighter management and promotion that they are doing. There is a conflict of interest in trying to manage fighters and putting their best interests first and running/co-promoting cards. In that respect it is an awful like slimy boxing promoters/managers. They get fighters under favorable contracts on their promotion and then don't let them leave.

Fedor is not an exception to that. I find it hard to tell sometimes where Fedor fits in, beyond an exploitable cash cow that broke them into the US market. The story is that Fedor is a partner, like Vadim and the crew, but when I saw Fedor busted up the other night with that pack of jackals behind him I can't help but think those guys are going to screw him over royally in retirement like they screwed over his career. They'll trot him out to some non-ufc press events and fan expos, he'll sign autographs and take pictures, then they will cut him a check.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/19/11 6:03:53AM

Posted by ncordless

M-1 also has all the international rights to co-promoted cards, I believe. Not sure how effective they are with them, but I seem to recall hearing that.

What is really crappy about M-1 is the mix of fighter management and promotion that they are doing. There is a conflict of interest in trying to manage fighters and putting their best interests first and running/co-promoting cards. In that respect it is an awful like slimy boxing promoters/managers. They get fighters under favorable contracts on their promotion and then don't let them leave.

Fedor is not an exception to that. I find it hard to tell sometimes where Fedor fits in, beyond an exploitable cash cow that broke them into the US market. The story is that Fedor is a partner, like Vadim and the crew, but when I saw Fedor busted up the other night with that pack of jackals behind him I can't help but think those guys are going to screw him over royally in retirement like they screwed over his career. They'll trot him out to some non-ufc press events and fan expos, he'll sign autographs and take pictures, then they will cut him a check.

Yeah, I seem to recall M-1 trying to hamstring Fedor and Mousasi in to the same contract. I'm not that great with legalese so, ncordless, if you understood the specifics of that contract or are, at least, able to offer more interpretation on that particular deal, I'll defer to your working knowledge of law and contractual agreements.

I think it was something along the lines of binding both fighters to the point where neither could leave M-1 even if they'd wanted to. I don't actually believe that got that particular contract signed, but I know it was, at least, a work in progress by M-1.

Your analogy of slimy boxing promoters is exactly what comes to mind when I think of M-1. Don King is the first name that comes to mind when I think of M-1. Shamelessly exploiting his biggest names in an effort to net top dollar. The only difference between M-1 and DKP, that I can think of, is that DKP actually had the financials, at some point, to finance much of his own events.

It seems to me, and again, I'm not the best at interpreting contractual agreements and finances, that M-1 has, somehow, convinced many of these larger promotions to incur the majority of the costs while they, somehow, retain co-promotional and international rights.

It's almost like a pseudo-ponzi scheme that M-1 has mastered.
postman
2/19/11 4:45:15PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

I saw that lol was going to fix it but figrued its the internet who care right? LOL
postman
2/19/11 5:06:49PM
Wow I missed the part were I was called clueless and that I must have never watched. Look I have watched it I found it very hard to enjoy or keep up with. Most of the fights that I have watched are sub par and to be honest the way they do business makes me not want to support them. If I go to the best resturant in the city and they treat me badly I think I have the right to never go back and tell as many people I can that I won't be back.

As far as Zuffa goes I didn't even bring them up but since you decided to I ask this......Would we even be talking if it weren't for Zuffa? They are Gods gift to MMA, without them the sport is darn near dead. Are they always right of course not but no ones end goal is to be the M-1 champ.

Please let me know what M-1 promoted event beat out every UFC event for the year. I don't buy it. Before you say last saturday realize M-1's contributed Fedor and thats it. Exciting things happen in lower orgs for two reasons 1. The playing field can be much wider between two fighters 2. They are fighting to move along to better things ie the UFC.