Why does no-one Give Serra a shot at keeping HIS title

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why does no-one Give Serra a shot at keeping HIS title
Next Page »
Tein_Lung
2/26/08 12:17:51PM
Every talks as if Serra is a 1000 to 1 underdog in the GSP fight... He showed in their first fight that hes capable opf knocking the bejeezus out of GSP and taking him to the wood shed for a beating... yet no-one thinks its remotely possible for him to do it again...

Serra is not afraid to stand with GSP he proved that and Serras Jits is prolly the best Jits in the WW division GSP has him beat in wrestling but why does everything think that GSP will run over Serra when Serra has already ran over him
fullerene
2/26/08 12:21:49PM
I agree. The fact that he beat him recently is enough to know he has a chance again.

The tough part is that Serra can leigtimately finish the fight standing or on the ground, but he's very hard to finish himself so GSP will likely have to avoid danger for all five rounds to win.
postman
2/26/08 12:47:47PM
If Serra wins this fight I would start thinking about giving him a chance in their third fight. JK. I think that most ppl think GSP was looking past Matt Serra and didn't train like he should. I also think if you look at who has beat who GSP's Resume is so much better. In common opponets GSP has beat both Karo and Penn ( I know the Penn fight could go either way). Not to mention GSP has beat Hughes 2 times also Kos, Sherk, Trigg...... He has beat alot of top guys while Serra has beat Lytle and Yves. I know you can't go off of MMA math but the fact is GSP is the better fighter with the more impressive wins. Could Serra win agian? Sure I wouldn't bet on it though.
Gipper
2/26/08 3:23:54PM
the reason not to many people are giving serra a chance is because gsp is so damn good. he completely destroyed hughes the best ww ever twice after losing to him the first time. i'm thinking he will do the same to serra.
bullettdodger
2/26/08 3:40:15PM
Personally i don't give Serra a better shot at beating GSP again because i think that his back injury could hinder him, even though he says that he is fine, it really does take a LONG time for injuries to be 100% better. He has had the time to recover and any longer would probably result in the belt being stripped. IMO Serra has the same chance he had last time, i doubt he will get GSP in a Submission (though anything is possible) so i say Serra's got the puncher's chance again. Should be a good fight either way though.
tuvok500
2/26/08 3:44:01PM

Posted by postman

If Serra wins this fight I would start thinking about giving him a chance in their third fight.

backalley101
2/26/08 3:56:07PM
I believe that GSP took Serra lightly. I do not think he will be making that same mistake twice. I like Matt Serra, don't get me wrong, but if Serra and GSP fought 10 times, I think GSP would win 9 times. I am trying to take anything away from Serra, but I think GSP is going to run through him this time. GSP will be the champ, once again.
emfleek
2/26/08 4:00:12PM
I give Serra a shot...a long shot.

I just think a determined GSP will be too much for Serra to handle. I don't see the fight lasting beyond the first couple minutes of Round 2, personally.

BUT...I've been wrong before and I'll definitely be wrong again.*

* Though I'm really hoping I'm NOT wrong this time. Serra gets on my nerves.
mrliquid
2/26/08 4:04:11PM
I think everyone is looking at all GSP's good performances and not wanting to admit he lost a fair fight to Serra you can give all the he was looking past Serra excuses you want but GSP himself said that he wasnt ever looking past Serra and that he trained hard for the fight and Matt beat him straight up, just because GSP destroyed Hughes doesnt mean he will do any better against Serra this time around he was in great shape was a skilled fighter and still lost some fighters just have an edge against certain opponents and I think this is one of those cases.
cowcatcher
2/26/08 4:11:09PM
matt serra isnt a guy that people walk through by any means(3 dec. losses, 1 crazy loss by spinning back fist in a fight he was dominating) and GSP made the mistake of thinking that the first go round. i think gsp will be much more active and push the tempo rather than letting serra go at his pace this time out. i cant give anyone a chance to beat GSP, when right, more than 3 out of 10 times and serra already used 1 win up so im thinking he has little chance, but if he wins at least the naysayers will quiet down about matt serra not being any good because the guy is one of the best, like him or not.
Manfred
2/26/08 4:44:01PM
I'm picking Serra this time. Working with Longo has really improved his stand-up and he is really hard to KO. (GSP is working on spinning back fists)

Before the "lucky / illegal punch" in the first fight, he was winning the round, IMO. GSP will win if he LnPs hes way to a decision, but otherwise I think Serra can (T)KO him again, 2nd or 3rd round.

Serra could be in GSP's head which is always bad. But at least GSP knows this time that Serra is not afraid of standing with him, which was a huge advantage to Serra last time. I'm thinking 60 / 40 in favor of Serra
mrliquid
2/26/08 4:46:21PM
I do like the sound of those odds bro.
Rush
2/26/08 5:01:17PM
Man am I getting tired of these threads.

I agree that Serra has by no means lost in a convincing way, but he really hasn't dominated his opponents either (with the exception of Carter in their first match, which Serra ended up losing anyways)

GSP on the other has pretty much dominated every fight (he wins) I can think of with the exception of the Penn fight (due to the eye poke) and maybe the Karo fight (I have to re-watch this one). Some of his dominant wins include dominations over guys that are pretty much considered to be dominant themselves (Sherk and Hughes)

If you ask me, GSP has the record and the capability to dominate Serra. Serra on the other hand does not. His win against GSP means virtually nothing to me with respect to evaluating this fight (especially if the GSP vs. Hughes series is any indication)

I just hope Serra still says he is 100% on the day of the fight or the day before.
seanfu
2/26/08 6:05:27PM
GSP will absolutely handle Serra. A big part of this will be due to the fact that Serra's back went out and his surgery took a mental toll.

GSP will not stand with Serra I think. He has shown an amazing ground game and will probably be very dominant for at least 4 of the 5 rounds. I don't see a finish.

GSP has been smacked back into reality. Remember too that the BJJ guard game is pretty much outdated as being a danger in the elite level.

I'm sure people will hate but for the love of god don't reference Silva or the Lesnar fight if you do.
Silent-Sir
2/26/08 6:17:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher

matt serra isnt a guy that people walk through by any means(3 dec. losses, 1 crazy loss by spinning back fist in a fight he was dominating) and GSP made the mistake of thinking that the first go round. i think gsp will be much more active and push the tempo rather than letting serra go at his pace this time out.

I'm definitely giving Serra a shot at winning. Look at what happened in the first fight (cough *Lucky Punch* cough ). I just think that St. Pierre is going to come out extremely fired up, especially since the fight is in Montreal.
mrliquid
2/26/08 6:22:32PM
Alot of you GSP fans need to watch the fight is slow-mo if Serra won by lucky punch he must have landed about 12 of em cause GSP was flopping around from 1 side of the octagon to the other getting hit alot more than once,and I do believe he was dropped once stumbled to his feet and got dropped again damn big effect if u ask me for 1 lucky punch.
Silent-Sir
2/26/08 6:51:33PM

Posted by mrliquid

Alot of you GSP fans need to watch the fight is slow-mo if Serra won by lucky punch he must have landed about 12 of em cause GSP was flopping around from 1 side of the octagon to the other getting hit alot more than once,and I do believe he was dropped once stumbled to his feet and got dropped again damn big effect if u ask me for 1 lucky punch.

Not sure if this is directed at my post but since I'm the only one that mentioned (jokingly) a lucky punch, I will respond. I'm assuming you must have missed the HUGE grin I put after the comment (cough *Lucky Punch* cough ) otherwise you would have realized that I was kidding around. Serra won that fight fair and square. I guess I should have remembered that not everyone can/will read sarcasm and humor into forum posts.
mrliquid
2/26/08 7:03:38PM
Sorry if I didnt pick up on the sarcasm of your post but its more directed at the 15 other Serra,GSP topics where people keep saying it was a lucky punch or a flash knockout wich I think is disrespectful to Serra i've watched the fight many times and GSP was knocked down 3 times before Serra jumped on him and handed him his ass untill the ref stopped it I wouldnt be as pissed if people were giving Serra some better odds but everyone makes like he is some UFC newbie who doesnt deserve to be on the same card as GSP wich I think is rediculous.
postman
2/26/08 7:38:39PM

Posted by cowcatcher
i think gsp will be much more active and push the tempo rather than letting serra go at his pace this time out.

That is what was missing in the first fight.

Posted by mrliquid
I think everyone is looking at all GSP's good performances and not wanting to admit he lost a fair fight to Serra you can give all the he was looking past Serra excuses you want but GSP himself said that he wasnt ever looking past Serra and that he trained hard for the fight and Matt beat him straight up

I seem to remeber GSP saying just that and Serra being jacked about it. But I could be wrong.
mrliquid
2/26/08 7:53:46PM
I think GSP is gonna be fired up I think he will train 5x as hard going into this fight knowing what happened last fight I just wish people wouldnt overlook Serra so quick the guy hits like a brick wall and is very dangerous on the ground
Tailgunner
2/26/08 8:10:45PM
After Serra loses to GSP he will as Matt Hughes has said "Fall down the ladder just as quickly as he climbed up it".

As to why no one gives Serra a chance at defending his title, well lets say this year the Miami dolphins 1-15 beat the New England Patriots 16-0 ....how many people would pick the Dolphins to win again??

Not many because the odds are New England would trash the Phins.

Same thing goes for GSP vs Serra II.

Serras fighting career is basically over, he was nowhere in the top ten, he becomes a "CONTESTANT" on a reality tv show, then he barely squeaks past a few other has-beens to get a title shot and leap frogs the entire WW division to fight GSP.

Serra should have NEVER even had a chance at GSP in the first place, and thats why 8 out of ten MMA fans think GSP is gonna whoop some jersey ass!
mrliquid
2/26/08 8:25:31PM

Posted by Tailgunner

After Serra loses to GSP he will as Matt Hughes has said "Fall down the ladder just as quickly as he climbed up it".

As to why no one gives Serra a chance at defending his title, well lets say this year the Miami dolphins 1-15 beat the New England Patriots 16-0 ....how many people would pick the Dolphins to win again??

Not many because the odds are New England would trash the Phins.

Same thing goes for GSP vs Serra II.

Serras fighting career is basically over, he was nowhere in the top ten, he becomes a "CONTESTANT" on a reality tv show, then he barely squeaks past a few other has-beens to get a title shot and leap frogs the entire WW division to fight GSP.

Serra should have NEVER even had a chance at GSP in the first place, and thats why 8 out of ten MMA fans think GSP is gonna whoop some jersey ass!

these post should be monitored for GSP stalkers I just wish I could see the mouths drop when GSP doesnt destroy Serra but anyway its gonna be a great fight to watch both great fighters can't way to see them throw down.
Tailgunner
2/26/08 8:47:21PM

Posted by mrliquid

I just wish I could see the mouths drop when GSP doesnt destroy Serra but anyway its gonna be a great fight to watch both great fighters can't way to see them throw down.

If Serra is such a great fighter then where was his career prior to TUF comeback?

His career was over is where it was,while Hughes was a 9 time defending WW champ, yet GSP just dismantled Hughes twice after losing to him once.

Serra is going to have the same fate.

I can't wait to see all the dreamers wake up to reality when GSP brings it to Serra.
cowcatcher
2/26/08 8:51:47PM
ok heres serra credentials, i think theyre as good as most guys could ever hope for in MMA
beat yves, curran, menjivar, lytle, and guess who...GSP
lost decisions to BJ, din, and karo
hes been in there with some of the best and beaten his share of them, the guys deserves your respect even if you dont like his personality.
postman
2/26/08 9:04:30PM

Posted by cowcatcher

ok heres serra credentials, i think theyre as good as most guys could ever hope for in MMA
hes been in there with some of the best and beaten his share of them, the guys deserves your respect even if you dont like his personality.

Those are ok, here are GSP' s credentials.GSP's Credentials
Alot better if you ask me.
What you guys are missing is the question is, Why does no-one Give Serra a shot at keeping HIS title, maybe the best explination is he got is shot and took it. Hes not getting another one.
Tailgunner
2/26/08 9:10:45PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Serras UFC record is 5-4 since april 2001
GSP's UFC record is 9-2 since Jan 2004

So Serra has beat Edwards,Menjivar,GSP.....Lytle doesn't count IMO as it was a "Reality" tv show staged fight.

GSP has beat Penn,Hughes x2, Trigg,Miller,Karo,Sherk,Koscheck,Heiron!

So Serra has 9 fights since 2001, GSP has 11 fights since 2004.

Sorry but Serras credentials are not "as good as most guys could ever hope for" compared to GSP's.

This fight between GSP and Serra will be GSP's third fight in a year compared to Serra's one fight.

I don't respect loudmouth meatheads who don't respect other fighters.

mrliquid
2/26/08 9:15:49PM
The only legit wins GSP had besides Hughes was Sean Sherk and Maybe Herion he barely pulled out a decision over both Penn and Karo he got lucky and caught trigg when trigg was barely ever fighting and pulled a close decision to Josh Koscheck a reality tv contestant as TailGunner calls them so I would say they are pretty evenly matched just because Serra wasn't active for awhile with the UFC doesnt mean his career was over many fighters have taken a break from the UFC and come back to be very succeful.
Silent-Sir
2/26/08 9:17:02PM

Posted by mrliquid

Sorry if I didnt pick up on the sarcasm of your post but its more directed at the 15 other Serra,GSP topics where people keep saying it was a lucky punch or a flash knockout wich I think is disrespectful to Serra i've watched the fight many times and GSP was knocked down 3 times before Serra jumped on him and handed him his ass untill the ref stopped it I wouldnt be as pissed if people were giving Serra some better odds but everyone makes like he is some UFC newbie who doesnt deserve to be on the same card as GSP wich I think is rediculous.

Sorry if I was a little defensive there. I was having a really bad day.

I agree with you completely. I'm a huge GSP fan and even I can't stand it when people refuse to acknowledge that he's human and can be beaten just like anybody else.
postman
2/26/08 9:18:10PM
MrLiquid I love your desire to hold your ground on this I would like to make a Avatar bet with you on this fight. Also If Serra wins I am going to have my wife take a picture of my jaw on the ground. Because if you are right you deserve it.
mrliquid
2/26/08 9:23:45PM
Hey bro i'm not starting no shit I have said 100 times that GSP is very talented only thing that bugs me is when people say Serra will be destroyed or he won by a flash knockout I just hate when people can't man up and give respect where respect is due i'll take your avatar bet based on I have Serra as my pick but the fight can go either way I think it will be a hell of a match just not as one sided as people think nice comment on the jaw picture i might hold you to that if Serra wins.
Pages: [1] 2 3