UFC 91 - “Rampage” Jackson vs Wanderlei Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 91 - “Rampage” Jackson vs Wanderlei Silva
Next Page »
MMAcca
8/17/08 3:56:45AM
Mmabay have learned from a very reliable source that the main event for the yet to be announced November show, UFC 91, will be between former UFC light heavyweight champion, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva.

Although no location has been determined for the event to take lace at this time, the UFC have been busy in putting together one of the biggest and most anticipated matches in UFC history. Both have aspirations of getting into the title mix and this fight, although very dangerous for both will greatly propel the winner up the ranks for a possible shot next year.

Although coming off a loss and suffering personal problems, Jackson is back in the gym with a new trainer and working hard to be in shape for this one. He will need to be, as he’s faced Silva twice before and was dominated both times. Silva himself has seemingly shaken his losing streak with the kind of performance we are used to against Keith Jardine in May, knocking him out in the first round.

LINK
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/17/08 4:01:56AM
Oh man, I hope Rampage has time to get his head into this fight. If not, Wandy's knee and fist will end up tattoo'ed on his forehead. For a third time.
mkiv9secsupra
8/17/08 4:52:49AM
Silva by TKO in the second. I hope they really do get this fight together. And this should solidify Wanderlei getting the next title shot after Chuck.
MMAcca
8/17/08 5:15:05AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Silva by TKO in the second. I hope they really do get this fight together. And this should solidify Wanderlei getting the next title shot after Chuck.

Must be winner of Machida/Silva imo
MikeyG
8/17/08 5:43:04AM
This matchup is pointless without the belt involved, this could completely destroy the career of either fighter. I gotta say I dont want either of them to gets L's anytime soon.

NewGuy
8/17/08 6:29:32AM

Posted by MikeyG

This matchup is pointless without the belt involved, this could completely destroy the career of either fighter. I gotta say I dont want either of them to gets L's anytime soon.

I don’t think this match is pointless. I look forward to seeing it. Both are established fighters and both want to advance in the rankings; you don’t move up by fighting jobbers. This is a test for both men with big consequences and big rewards. I want to see the big guns fight each other and see who comes out on top.

Yes if Rampage loses then he will have dropped three to Wandy. It will be hard on him to lose two in a row and drop three to Wandy but it will not end his career. He will have to fight back up the ranking just like Wandy did with his win over Jardine. But if he wins then he has a good shot at a rematch with Forest, if he keeps the belt that long, and will show that his head is still in the game.

If Wandy wins he shows that he is in line for a title shot and has his S*** together. If he loses then it is back to the drawing board, but I don’t think his career would be over.

This is fighting, losses happen. One loss to a great opponent should not and will not end a career unless that fighter decides that it is time to hang them up.
JDP_6375
8/17/08 8:29:13AM
Belt or no belt it really it a champion vs champion fight & probably top 5 fights of the year.
Chuteboxer
8/17/08 9:05:07AM
I really want Silva to win this fight...but if Rampage is healthy then it's going to be a long night...
dannyfrank
8/17/08 9:40:17AM
i really dont know who to root for
JackHammerXXX
8/17/08 9:45:02AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Must be winner of Machida/Alves imo

Machida/Alves? Silva?Thiago...
Anyways is this really for real?!

I have mixed, but excited feelings about this bout, Go Wand
MMAcca
8/17/08 10:12:53AM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Must be winner of Machida/Alves imo

Machida/Alves? Silva?Thiago...
Anyways is this really for real?!

I have mixed, but excited feelings about this bout, Go Wand

Fixed
jomatty
8/17/08 10:50:54AM
why in the world would losing to one of the best lhw's in the world destroy either of these guys career?
Taylor8766
8/17/08 11:09:58AM
This is a good matchup, pitting two of the best LHW's in the world against each other but IMO I think it's the wrong time for this fight, Rampage is coming off a loss and personal problems and putting him against a guy that has already demolished him twice before isn't a great idea right now. I personally think that they should put Rampage against Shogun, with both fighters coming off a loss to Griffin, it would be the more logical fight. I also think that Rampage needs at least two wins to be in the title picture again. As for Wanderlei I say put him against Soko if Soko wins his next fight. IMO this Rampage/Wanderlei fight is a great fight but not at this time.
emfleek
8/17/08 11:27:33AM
Both guys bring it in every fight. Neither of them will have their career "destroyed".
Bloodhound
8/17/08 11:42:16AM
gonna be a great fight but i think Rampage will finally prevail over Wadnerlei
xphycorx
8/17/08 11:43:14AM
i love both of these fighters, but i don't see how you could pick against silva. rampage had all those personal problems, and in addition to that he's lost twice before to silva. i think this is a no-brainer. i'm not saying rampage will be dominated necessarily, but i do think he will lose one way or another.
Sam_Rothstein
8/17/08 11:47:34AM
My guess is after ufc 91, rampage is gonna lose his contact again.....either that or he will re-hire juanito
prozacnation1978
8/17/08 12:00:19PM
silva has already beaten him up twice i see him doing it a 3rd time
good fight, i thought this would be main event in nov or at least rampage vs shogun
so wandy is off the dec card
but i bet shogun will now face mark coleman or maybe bonner
Mchubb316
8/17/08 12:07:17PM
I like the matchup. I think Wand will impose his will once again, and win via tko early in the 2nd. I like Rampage, but he is unstable right now. Wand is focused and determined to get a title shot soon.
jay98107
8/17/08 12:18:20PM
Before both the Wandy/Jardine fight and Rampage/Griffin fight, I was starting to lean towards Rampage if this fight ever happened. However, I just don't know how mentally prepared Jackson is going to be, and it seems pretty likely to me that he could get KOed for a third time by Wandy.
gsquat
8/17/08 12:47:07PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

You mean Rashad.
JackHammerXXX
8/17/08 12:59:55PM
I was hoping this fight would've been built up longer...I mean, if it happens now, it eliminates a fight later on, possibly for a title, (if Rampage loses) and that was the ideal way to get these two in there again. Honestly, I don't think it will take 5 rounds for this to be decided, so the champ. fight structure won't be needed. Wand is the man, and I believe he is at the top of his game.
Rampage on the other hand, is coming off a "breakdown", after his "unsettling" letdown against Griffin. This is a fight for Jackson to get right back in the thick of things. I don't fully agree with it being the right time for the matchup, though. I think because of the UFC's schedule, they had to use this matchup for a main event in between 90 and 92. All this while, I been wondering.."What and who will be the main event at 91?"
Now, who else is going to be there?
KYGUY07
8/17/08 1:53:55PM
I really wish they hadnt put rampage against wanderlei, i think wanderlei wins this fight, he seems to be back to the old axe murderer.
Wolfenstein
8/17/08 4:09:43PM
I'm surprised this fight is happening now, but I'm glad it's happening. Should be an awesome fight, but I question whether Rampage is ready for it. There's some bad blood between these two as well and it isn't manufactured, so that's always an interesting addition.

I don't see this fight being any different than the previous two though. Maybe Rampage lands a few more thunderous rights that will rock Silva.

Rampage has some serious trouble against thai fighters though, as made apparent by losses to Shogun, Wanderlei (twice), and Marvin Eastman. Even Forrest made it pretty clear that Jackson struggles in the thai clinch and poorly defends the chop kick.

Against Chuck Rampage was facing a striker that utilizes more boxing than thai, which is just Rampage's game.. That said, I do think Rampage will put up a good fight, but I think he's going to be exposed in aspects of the striking game that he lacks.
hotrodttt
8/17/08 5:28:10PM
I think Rampage will actually put Silva away this time, in their 2nd Fight he had Wandy hurt and didn't Finish him, but in the 2nd Round I see Rampage connecting on a Flush Right Hand
jakeiceman
8/17/08 6:42:19PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

You mean Rashad.

A guy can dream right
MikeyG
8/17/08 7:58:25PM

Posted by NewGuy

Posted by MikeyG

I don’t think this match is pointless. I look forward to seeing it. Both are established fighters and both want to advance in the rankings; you don’t move up by fighting jobbers. This is a test for both men with big consequences and big rewards. I want to see the big guns fight each other and see who comes out on top.

Yes if Rampage loses then he will have dropped three to Wandy. It will be hard on him to lose two in a row and drop three to Wandy but it will not end his career. He will have to fight back up the ranking just like Wandy did with his win over Jardine. But if he wins then he has a good shot at a rematch with Forest, if he keeps the belt that long, and will show that his head is still in the game.

If Wandy wins he shows that he is in line for a title shot and has his S*** together. If he loses then it is back to the drawing board, but I don’t think his career would be over.

This is fighting, losses happen. One loss to a great opponent should not and will not end a career unless that fighter decides that it is time to hang them up.

blah blah blah I dont like the fight at this point in their careers, gotta be honest I didnt read your response man, the ramblin' bored me.
NewGuy
8/17/08 8:27:24PM

blah blah blah I dont like the fight at this point in their careers, gotta be honest I didnt read your response man, the ramblin' bored me.

I’m sorry I wasted your time with a valid counter point. I though that is what forum discussions were for.

Look, if your not going to read what people say maybe you should not waste our time with lame responses.
MikeyG
8/17/08 8:42:49PM

Posted by NewGuy

I’m sorry I wasted your time with a valid counter point. I though that is what forum discussions were for.

Look, if your not going to read what people say maybe you should not waste our time with lame responses.

LOL, I state an opinion of how I dont like the fight at this point of their careers and you go off on some butthurt rant about nothing.

So everytime you make a counter-paragraph of useless statements and arguments into a sentence people are suppose to change their minds...interesting theory
beerman77
8/17/08 11:58:28PM

Posted by MikeyG

and besides that , wandys UFC record not that great , yeah he is great, but i dont think he should be next for title if he wins. dont get me wrong he deserves a title shot but i think thier are others ahead of him for sure
Pages: [1] 2