- PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » - PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE
nickcuc547
11/21/08 7:28:38PM
Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn moves back up to the welterweight division to take on UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre on Super Bowl weekend, Jan. 31, in Las Vegas for the welterweight title. Speculation about what weight class Penn's fighting future would be in if he defeats St. Pierre has swirled since the bout agreements were signed.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7633&zoneid=2
nickcuc547
11/21/08 7:30:20PM
i like it but i don't, by defending both titles we will have two of the deepest divisions in the organization on ice for a while, that doesn't really set in well with me.
tuvok500
11/21/08 7:35:59PM
not going to happen, GSP will destroy him and BJ will also lose his LW belt to Florian !!

nickcuc547
11/21/08 7:39:15PM

Posted by tuvok500

not going to happen, GSP will destroy him and BJ will also lose his LW belt to Florian !!

agree that he will lose to gsp, but he won't get destroyed it's going to be a very good fight, but i don't see him losing to florian unless kenny pulls a serra.
KipDynamite
11/21/08 8:08:08PM
BJ takes both belts with no prob
Red-Dragon
11/21/08 8:14:27PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

agree that he will lose to gsp, but he won't get destroyed it's going to be a very good fight, but i don't see him losing to florian unless kenny pulls a serra.

I agree with you but I think Kenny will be less of an underdog against BJ than Serra was against GSP.
postman
11/21/08 8:27:48PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

I agree with you but I think Kenny will be less of an underdog against BJ than Serra was against GSP.

only because GSP Serra 1 happened. No one will take a title fight that lightly for a while.
tuvok500
11/21/08 8:36:52PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

Come on man, Florian is legit and for real, there is absolutely no comparison with Serra, if Florian win it will not be a fluke at all like it was with a not legit fighter who won his championship spot by beating 2 or 3 third class fighters in the less impressive TUF line up we ever seen.

Pookie
11/21/08 8:43:29PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

Come on man, Florian is legit and for real, there is absolutely no comparison with Serra, if Florian win it will not be a fluke at all like it was with a not legit fighter who won his championship spot by beating 2 or 3 third class fighters in the less impressive TUF line up we ever seen.

Good point, But Lauzon - Stevenson - Huerta arent exactly top ten fighters either.
dannyfrank
11/21/08 8:51:03PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

why do you GSP fans like to shit on serra so much? it honestly sounds a lot worse when you say GSP got beat by someone who sucks.
WrestlersAssassin
11/21/08 8:52:16PM

Posted by KipDynamite

Short, sweet and to the point, it will be a good fight but ultimatly bj will make history and when and if he wins the haters better be quiet with this overrated/hype b/s.

On a side note Penn vs Anderson is a dream fight!!! I think dana knows that BJ would be a good match for Anderson win or lose and even if GSP beats BJ I'd still say BJ has a better shot at beating Anderson that GSP does style-wise, Dana's just worried about the weight issue and he dosnt want anyone to have 3 belts (which would be moronic really).
StriderXero
11/21/08 9:00:19PM
BJ's my favorite fighter. But it's really hard to pick who will win his fight against GSP.

Anyways with the florian fight..........Kenny's gonna be crying himself to sleep for a couple of weeks after that fight with BJ.
holt8081
11/21/08 9:32:59PM

Posted by KipDynamite

Finally someone who knows the truth
The-Don
11/21/08 9:49:13PM
I think Penn is a good match up for Anderson but I think Anderson takes it.. I also expect Penn and GSP to be a great fight I am picking GSP but I do not think one will walk over the other it is also going to be a great fight..
tuvok500
11/21/08 9:55:53PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

Good point, But Lauzon - Stevenson - Huerta arent exactly top ten fighters either.

Oh, in my book Huerta and Stevenson were top ten for sure and that's probably why Stevenson got a title shot against BJ !!

And what about BJ, the guy lost to Hughes and then go back in 155 to beat the MACHINE Pulver ?? and Stevenson too like Florian did but BJ was less impressived unless you are afraid of blood and " not on roid " Sherk in a boxing fight !!

Yeah , BJ is REBORN and he really proved it in his last 3 wins at 155 !!??

GSP by complete domination , and Florian by game plan !!!

in 2009 BJ will have 0.000 belt to defend !! lol

jakeiceman
11/21/08 9:56:43PM

Posted by holt8081

Posted by KipDynamite

Finally someone who knows the truth

I'm on Penn's nuts for this one, he is going to kick some ass and hold two titles, I'm callin it now!

And I have been really impressed with Florian but I dont think he is going to be any problem for BJ.

WAR PENN
WrestlersAssassin
11/21/08 9:57:41PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

Oh, in my book Huerta and Stevenson were top ten for sure and that's probably why Stevenson got a title shot against BJ !!

And what about BJ, the guy lost to Hughes and then go back in 155 to beat the MACHINE Pulver ?? and Stevenson too like Florian did but BJ was less impressived unless you are afraid of blood and " not on roid " Sherk in a boxing fight !!

yeah.. we get it your a blind gsp nuthugger / penn hater, move on
tuvok500
11/21/08 10:03:54PM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by tuvok500

yeah.. we get it your a blind gsp nuthugger / penn hater, move on

Who are you ?? Bj's lawyer ?? his mother ??

I have BJ #3 P4P and #3 favorite fighter so before dropping your knowledgeable comment on who i like and i hate just read my stats dude !!

Jackelope
11/21/08 10:31:28PM
LMAO good to see Tuvok back in action
Aether
11/21/08 11:35:30PM
no it's not.
EvenFlow
11/21/08 11:55:22PM

Posted by tuvok500

Who are you ?? Bj's lawyer ?? his mother ??

I have BJ #3 P4P and #3 favorite fighter so before dropping your knowledgeable comment on who i like and i hate just read my stats dude !!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
stock
11/22/08 12:30:50AM
I am rooting for GSP, only because I don't want to have to wait for title fights so long in the lightest divisions.
I don't like that at all. If he wins, he should give up the lightweight belt and just focus on deffending one belt. Does this mean there will be like 6-10 months before he deffends the WW belt if he wins? That is just crap.

All that being said, I think BJ wins by split decision. I don't think GSP can finish BJ untless he can gas him. I see BJ causing more damage and winning the first few rounds, and then BJ fading at the end... but not enough for GSP to get the decision.
motorboatensob
11/22/08 10:48:26AM
Penn has two things going for him one is that Ken Flo opened his mouth at UFC 91 and pissed BJ off. Two he has something to prove against GSP in he still thinks he beat him the last time " I agree he did beat him". If GSP felt bad after the lose to Serra he is really going to fell like pooo after this fight when he fights BJ and realises he is the one fighter he won't be able to beat again and he has to set back and wait for BJ to leave the WW division before he can get his belt back. Calling it now BJ by third round stoppage
prozacnation1978
11/22/08 10:51:32AM
bj is good but i don't want him to win on defending both titles
that would put a stranglehold on both divisions unless bj defends every 3 months but even that having a belt on hold till the summer for a welter shot or light is bad. i doubt alves or kenny won't fight till july or aug even
this was a bad decision
they should have waited till someone or both lose to put up this fight. as well silva vs lidell putting middleweight division on hold come on
i don't care is they are not worthy like cote i wanna see fighters get their title shots like okami and maia
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/22/08 3:01:50PM
im with tuvok accept i think bj beats kenn flo .
Gweedo
11/22/08 3:36:08PM
Penn is GOD until we can all come to this understanding i will continue to advocate for KING PENN!!!
Greene33
11/22/08 3:39:54PM
B.J. should of won the decision in the first fight and beats GSP this time.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 2
cmill21
11/22/08 3:46:50PM
I thought BJ won their first fight and I will pick him this time around.
Rush
11/22/08 7:35:44PM

Posted by Greene33

B.J. should of won the decision in the first fight and beats GSP this time.

If you thought BJ won their first match you were watching the wrong fight. The fight should have been a UD for GSP. I've watched the fight a couple times since it aired and there is no doubt in my mind that it should have been a 29-28 UD for GSP.

I made a whole thread on the analysis of the fight and the thing that really hits home is that Cecil Peoples was the judge that gave the 29-28 to BJ making it a split decision.
cooper02
11/24/08 12:47:38PM

Posted by KipDynamite

I completely agree