What K-1 (kickboxing)fighter would make the best transition to UFC or Pride?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What K-1 (kickboxing)fighter would make the best transition to UFC or Pride?
Next Page »
hippysmacker
1/31/07 10:09:35PM
Cung Lee is in it now, and I think he will do well. Who's next?
Stickan
1/31/07 10:12:12PM
Can I say Lebanner even though he's already had his MMA debut?
Svartorm
1/31/07 10:12:50PM
Ray Sefo might do well for himself, as he has tremendous KO power and a noggin made of iron. No idea how he'd do on the ground though.
gspfan31
1/31/07 10:27:52PM
jlb
hippysmacker
1/31/07 10:54:45PM
Yeah lebanner, actually challenged Sylvia to a fight. I have no idea about Ray's ground game, or lack of one.
Kameleon
1/31/07 11:18:56PM
I would like to see Genki Sudo but to make the best transition would most likely be Chung Lee.
Stickan
1/31/07 11:24:26PM

Posted by Kameleon

I would like to see Genki Sudo but to make the best transition would most likely be Chung Lee.

Huh?
mrsumo
2/1/07 2:07:56AM
I would like to see Bob Sapp come to the UFC. But you did say Kickboxer so.... maybe Mark Hunt or Ernesto Hoost?
Svartorm
2/1/07 2:53:15AM
Sapp would have to cut limbs off to make weight.

Ramon Dekkers could have done well if he'd come in a bit younger.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 2:56:26AM

Posted by Svartorm

Yeah Hoost and the diamond would be starting a little late to make the transition.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:12:47AM
After Dekkers fight with Sudo, I doubt he'd want to try it again, and he officially retired again, so thats probably right out. Bonjasky is atleast rather young, and certainly has skills, but most of K-1s golden boys are a bit too old to start fighting MMA.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 3:16:47AM

Posted by Svartorm

After Dekkers fight with Sudo, I doubt he'd want to try it again, and he officially retired again, so thats probably right out. Bonjasky is atleast rather young, and certainly has skills, but most of K-1s golden boys are a bit too old to start fighting MMA.

Yeah Bojansky has the ability. Do you know if he has any ground skills, and or takedown defense. I have no idea. You probably have watched more k-1 than me. Most of what I've seen was on ESPN classic , Youtube, or google video.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:23:30AM
Haven't a clue if he knows any of the ground game. Mirko and Hunt got in with little experience though, so given time I'm sure most K-1 fighters would be able to transition. Carter Williams did ok in ROTR, although he didn't fight anyone dangerous.
amik
2/1/07 5:17:36AM
It he would be incredible that Buakaw was passing to the mma.
But I believe that it he should improve his ground game.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
pv3Hpv3p
2/1/07 4:05:23PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Yeah lebanner, actually challenged Sylvia to a fight. I have no idea about Ray's ground game, or lack of one.

I would pay big money to see JLB and Big Tim... You think Tim would abandon his standup style and go for the TD? Or is he going to try and stand and bang with LeBanner (top 5 K1 in my book)?

IMHO, nobody coming over from K1 is going to have a decent ground game compared to even B-level MMA fighter. I think that they have a tough enough time keeping their kickboxing game sharp and just plain don't have the time for it.

Have to agree though, Mirko and Hunt seemed to adapt pretty well, you don't see either of them winning by sub very often, but just having a knowledge of the ground game and being able to avoid the sub and take the fight back to their comfort zone makes all the difference in the world
DeadguY
2/1/07 4:12:22PM

Posted by amik

It he would be incredible that Buakaw was passing to the mma.
But I believe that it he should improve his ground game.

Buakaw is a crazy MT fighter. He's had something like over 400 fights and has a good many of those go in his favor.
cowcatcher
2/1/07 5:44:45PM
Rick Roufus, j/k they actually teach BJJ among other things at his bro Duke's gym here in Milwaukee, but Cung Le is the guy I've been waiting to see for awhile. When it comes to K-1 he is by far the best I've seen with takedowns, I'm guessing since he made the jump to PRIDE he's been working hard at fighting off his back too.
ElGuApO91
2/1/07 9:58:40PM
jerome le banner would be amazing in the ufc a little work on the ground game and he could be good
hippysmacker
2/1/07 10:04:21PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

I would pay big money to see JLB and Big Tim... You think Tim would abandon his standup style and go for the TD? Or is he going to try and stand and bang with LeBanner (top 5 K1 in my book)?

IMHO, nobody coming over from K1 is going to have a decent ground game compared to even B-level MMA fighter. I think that they have a tough enough time keeping their kickboxing game sharp and just plain don't have the time for it.

Have to agree though, Mirko and Hunt seemed to adapt pretty well, you don't see either of them winning by sub very often, but just having a knowledge of the ground game and being able to avoid the sub and take the fight back to their comfort zone makes all the difference in the world

I think Tim might even go the ground against Cro-cop, so it would be smart against Lebanner if he gets in trouble.
aceprone
2/1/07 11:45:51PM

Posted by Svartorm

Sapp wouldn't be able to past a drug test for centuries. I've heard that he's roided so much that him cleaning out his system would take just about the same about of time it take depleted uraninum to become unradioactive. Bad joke, I know.
--Hinch--
2/2/07 10:22:20AM
Mike Zambidis has all the tools needed for MMA. He's be my pick by far.

Buakaw's kicks, no matter how fast, will get him taken down. He's the perconification of a great striker, but in striking rules, not MMA.
pv3Hpv3p
2/2/07 10:31:09AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Tim might even go the ground against Cro-cop, so it would be smart against Lebanner if he gets in trouble.

He might if he catches some wicked leg kicks or nice liver kick, I guess I haven't seen much of it, but I wouldn't think that Big Tim's got the smoothest TD's, and Mirko's sprawl is uncomrehensibly quick, but occasionally the opportunity does present itself.

I really get the feeling that he will stand in there with him and try to prove all the nay-sayers wrong.
tffdwg38
2/2/07 7:52:52PM
Ernesto Hoost
Jazzon
2/6/07 8:13:06AM
Gary Goodridge has all the skills needed to step into any MMA match right away. LeBanner, Remy Bonjasky, etc. all have to be taught a ground game first. So until they have ANY ground skills it would just be a joke to say they are ready now for MMA.
madmarck
2/6/07 9:15:24AM

Posted by mrsumo

I would like to see Bob Sapp come to the UFC. But you did say Kickboxer so.... maybe Mark Hunt or Ernesto Hoost?

Mark Hunt is already in Pride......... Ernest Hoost is a good one though. I would love to see him in the UFC.
Bob Sapp........ well he wouldnt make the weight cut to fight in the UFCC. Not to mention he would get his ass beat down... By Big John McCarthy . You know how he is listening to the Refs.
Mayo
2/6/07 4:18:29PM
Mighty Mo !!!
bayonetxwork
2/6/07 5:27:28PM
Mike Zambidi. Hes a sick stand up fighter, and he has a great build to be a very powerful wrestler/grappler over time. Plus hes just one of my favorite fighters.
hippysmacker
2/6/07 10:58:18PM

Posted by Jazzon

Gary Goodridge has all the skills needed to step into any MMA match right away. LeBanner, Remy Bonjasky, etc. all have to be taught a ground game first. So until they have ANY ground skills it would just be a joke to say they are ready now for MMA.

Gary Goodridge already has fought in MMA for a long time, I think you misunderstood the point of the Thread. No biggie, I meant someone who is not currently in MMA
EB
2/7/07 6:31:23PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

Yeah Bojansky has the ability. Do you know if he has any ground skills, and or takedown defense. I have no idea. You probably have watched more k-1 than me. Most of what I've seen was on ESPN classic , Youtube, or google video.

i think bonjasky would be excellent in mma depending on his ability to adapt/train for other styles
Rua22
8/24/07 3:22:27PM
remy bonjasky or buakaw
Pages: [1] 2