- HUERTA-FLORIAN WINNER IN LINE FOR UFC TITLE SHOT

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » - HUERTA-FLORIAN WINNER IN LINE FOR UFC TITLE SHOT
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/15/08 11:49:50PM
It was recently confirmed that Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight contenders Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian will face each other in August at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn. UFC president Dana White on Thursday said that the winner of that bout at UFC 87 is likely to be next in line for the winner of next Saturday’s lightweight title bout between current champion B.J. Penn and former titleholder Sean Sherk.

During a pre-fight media call for UFC 84, a question arose as to whether or not the winner of the lightweight title next week would move up to challenge Georges St. Pierre in a dream bout of sorts. White said that it was highly unlikely and a premature move for either Penn or Sherk.

“I like to see guys clean out a division and there be no doubt who is the best 155-pounder, 170, 185-pounder, etc. You find out who the best is because these guys clean out a division,” commented White.

That said, regardless of which fighter walks out of the Octagon with the belt on May 24, he doesn’t believe that Penn or Sherk would have “cleaned out the division” at that point, citing Huerta and Florian.

“I think the winner (between Penn and Sherk)... there's another fight between Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian, I think the winner of that fight will fight the winner of this fight and let's say it's B.J. or Sean (who wins that match-up), I would consider that cleaning out the division,” stated the UFC president. “Then I would sit down and talk to them about where they wanted to go from there.”

makes total since, i can't think of who else would get the shot

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6277&zoneid=2
jae_1833
5/16/08 12:00:37AM
Makes sense....they are both great to watch and on sick win streaks. Good call.
finnish_line
5/16/08 12:12:11AM

How would beating Huerta or Florian be cleaning out the most stacked division (except maybe Light Heavy) in the UFC?

Griffin deserves a shot at least. And after that there will probably be one or two worthy challengers at Lightweight.

Plus GSP already beat Sherk and Penn.
holt8081
5/16/08 12:37:02AM
Penn will beat shark boy and Huerta will beat Lava girl
pinoymixplaya
5/16/08 1:11:20AM
I really don't think that Penn will beat Sherk like many people believe. The only people to have beaten good wrestlers are typically guys with better wrestling.

Beating the winner of Huerta/Florian is not cleaning out the weight class. Griffin, Diaz, Clementi, Gamburyan, Fisher, Edgar, Aurelio, and Guida are all top of the line in the LW division in the UFC.....
GrandMaster313
5/16/08 1:38:39AM
i like Kenny a lot but honestly Huerta looks as unbeatable as Anderson Silva................and that's scary !
decken
5/16/08 7:17:23AM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I really don't think that Penn will beat Sherk like many people believe. The only people to have beaten good wrestlers are typically guys with better wrestling.

Beating the winner of Huerta/Florian is not cleaning out the weight class. Griffin, Diaz, Clementi, Gamburyan, Fisher, Edgar, Aurelio, and Guida are all top of the line in the LW division in the UFC.....

Did someone forget that BJ Penn has beaten matt hughes and had a split decision against GSP which both have beaten Sherk and both are better wrestlers then Sherk.

Anyways the Huerta v Florian fight is going to be awesome to watch, I can't wait. And whoever the champion is and whoever the challenger is next it will be a great fight. All four of them are great fighters.
whardin19
5/16/08 7:46:57AM
I agree that the winner of the Huerta/Florian fight should fight the winner of Sherk/Penn. But the one thing I don't agree with is that if the winner of the Sherk/Penn fight beats the Huerta/Florian fight that, that guy cleaned out the division. There is alot of good fighters in that division. Many fights could still happen and be crowd pleasers after those two fights.
prozacnation1978
5/16/08 8:30:30AM
how could you say you cleaned out the weight class, the lightweights are stacked!!!! only divisions you could clean out is middleweight and heavyweight
silverbullet
5/16/08 10:08:21AM

Posted by GrandMaster313

i like Kenny a lot but honestly Huerta looks as unbeatable as Anderson Silva................and that's scary !

hmm... Did you watch his fight against Guida? I'm not saying that Huerta is not a good fighter but he did have his ass handed to him.
teddythetuna
5/16/08 12:12:26PM
Lightweight division is stacked and it will take more than florian/huerta to clean it out but i dont agree with edgar being up there. didnt he just getted mopped up by maynard
kaskd
5/16/08 3:32:00PM
Huerta-Florian would not be much of a challenge for either Sherk or Penn. The light weight division is stacked and there are a lot of fighters, but Sherk and Penn are on a different level. Just like every other UFC champion. If Huerta beats Florian i don't see him beating either Sherk or Penn, but if Florian wins I can see him barely beating Sherk.
Red-Dragon
5/16/08 4:41:27PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by GrandMaster313

hmm... Did you watch his fight against Guida? I'm not saying that Huerta is not a good fighter but he did have his ass handed to him.

Agreed.. That was a massive over statement to say Huerta is as unbeatable as Silve. Silva has always dominated and Huerta is kind of a comeback kid in some of his fights.

I do think Huerta has a better chance against Penn or Sherk than Florian does. Simply because I don't think either Huerta or Florian can hang with those guys on the ground but Huerta has a some chance in the stand up.
EON
5/16/08 7:13:12PM
i fail to see the hype on florian, hes hardly beaten top competition, id still like to see how the din thomas fight would have happened without the injury, huerta is in another skill set, guida would beat florian but they seem to give florian lesser competition to build him up i guess, this fight however will put him at 9-4

Huerta by KO 2nd round
bls1919
5/16/08 8:05:21PM
I would pick Huerta or Florian against Sherk and BJ against them all. I hope we see BJ vs Huerta
throwmeahotone
5/30/08 2:16:05AM
not even worth it i mean BJ is on a whole nother level than both of these guys not saying they suck in fact they both in my top ten favorites but, sadly its the truth
telnights
5/30/08 3:30:03AM
This doesn't come as much of a shock. But I think it will end up being Florian vs BJ. Florian just looks like a better fighter every time I see him fight. Its will make for a good fight that I see BJ winning but still a good fight.
The_Italian_Stallion
5/30/08 10:00:05AM
I am so excited about this fight... this fight alone would make be buy 87 and then you throw in GSP and all the other great fights makes this the best card of the year right now.

Huerta is going to have a tough match in Florian but I think he'll be able to win and then Huerta gets Penn. I bet you Penn won't stand with him for three rounds and if Huerta can bring some submission defense he should get his hand raised in that fight. I am excited.