K-1 HERO'S Results

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » K-1 HERO'S Results
LR
9/17/07 8:01:57AM
Takenori Sato def. Kenji Nagai by Submission (Armbar) 2:40 R1
Kazuyuki Miyata def. Harvey Harra by Submission (Armbar) 1:13 R1
Andre Dida def. Caol Uno - Unanimous Decision (2 Rds)
Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti def. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 0:35 R1
Ikuhisa Minowa def. Kevin Casey - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 0:42 R2
Dong Sik Yoon def. Zelg Galesic - Submission (Armbar) 1:29 R1
Melvin Manhoef def. Fabio Silva - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 1:00 R1
Sergei Kharitonov def. Alistair Overeem - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 4:21 R1
Kazushi Sakuraba def. Katsuyori Shibata - Submission (Armbar) 6:20 R1
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto def. Bibiano Fernandes - Unanimous Decision (3 Rds)

HERO'S MIDDLEWEIGHT GP (155lb, 70kg) FINAL
Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti def. Andre Dida - Submission (Armbar) 4:48 R1

LOL, Shaolin lasted all but 35 seconds.
NatedawgThaM
9/17/07 8:34:10AM
DAMN!!! Shaolin you let me down man!!!

I still shocked he got stopped so quickly and im still shock the Gracie Killer still fights after receiving brain damage because of a dumb ref and he still wins!

Also shocked that one cat wen the distance with the KID!!!

Hoping to find some vids somewhere on the inrnet, sounds like a great night of fights...
LR
9/17/07 9:19:32AM
I'm sort of in a different boat with Shaolin. He's not as powerful as Calvancanti, and Calvancanti has some decent ju-jitsu himself. I figured JZ would win if he came out swinging because Shaolin has had a hard time getting though flurries of fists.

Sakuraba's fight was a gimme. Anyone who actually thought he'd lose is seriously bad at predicting fights. I really thought Kid would have finished it, but he won against a black belt ju-jitsu fighter.
hotrodttt
9/17/07 9:47:43AM
HELL YEAH BABY

9 - 1

Zeleg come on man
LR
9/17/07 10:22:18AM
Yeah, I didn't have time to pick because the cutoff happened so quickly from the EliteXC picks afterwards. I picked all of them except for Dida. I had Uno winning that one.
hotrodttt
9/17/07 10:28:49AM
I had Dida simply bacuase of the fact that he is better in most aspects except wrestling , he has better stand up and Jui Jitsu

Most people don't know that Dida is his nickname and they probabably didn't even think he already had 6 fights , lol

But I picked JZ because he has way better wrestling and stand up and I knew Vitor would not be able to take him down but I never would have expected Shaolin to go down like he did
loonytnt
9/17/07 11:21:57AM
i didnt pick on this on but i would not have done to well lol
LR
9/17/07 11:42:06AM

Posted by hotrodttt

I had Dida simply bacuase of the fact that he is better in most aspects except wrestling , he has better stand up and Jui Jitsu

Most people don't know that Dida is his nickname and they probabably didn't even think he already had 6 fights , lol

But I picked JZ because he has way better wrestling and stand up and I knew Vitor would not be able to take him down but I never would have expected Shaolin to go down like he did

Yeah, I've seen Dida a few times, he definitely has impressive standup, but he rarely uses his ju-jitsu and his standup still remains untested from a technical standpoint. He still loops his punches a lot. Any real good boxer with stiff hard jabs could potentially punish him, but other than that, he was pretty impressive.

I picked JZ based on the fact that he brings it early, and that's exactly what happened.
richieb19
9/17/07 2:58:53PM
I can't wrap my head around why Shaolin tried to pull guard from about a foot and a half away. Uno and Zelg really shit the bed big time. Big congrats to Sakuraba, Yoon and JZ on their impressive performances.
babalu2720
9/17/07 5:45:29PM
Why couldn't we wager on this i've been in a real funk lately and i knew Galesic would lose by sub and i would have gotten great odds...i guess that's the way the cookie crumbles
MMA
9/17/07 7:31:40PM
I really thought the Shaolin vs. JZ fight would be a lot closer, but JZ just took it to him. I didn't see Kid's fight but I was surprised that his opponent lasted all 3 rounds.
LR
9/18/07 9:57:14AM
To be honest, I wrote a preview for 411mania on this fight, and I watched multiple Shaolin and JZ videos. JZ just looked too aggressive and strong to really lose ot Shaolin. Shaolin likes to work his ground game for quite awhile in his matchups, I didn't see Shaolin winning. Glad I picked JZ to win.
sakurabaforever
9/18/07 10:40:21PM
Saku looked awesome, but when you fight greatly younger, faster and more powerful opponent, its never a gimme! Not to mention Sak is pretty broken down. I gave the edge to Shibata but I knew Sak would armbar him somehow, someway!

He's a true warrior and will fight until he can fight no more.

By the way, Rickson came out to the ring and said he had one fight left in him. Hopefully Saku finally puts him in his place like he did all the Gracies. They are both pretty old, Rickson obviously not as worn from any wars, but I would not say the odds are skewed. Would have been more exciting years ago, but oh well.
LR
9/18/07 11:46:55PM
What? You picked against Sakuraba!? Shibata is a nobody, I figured he'd win at least this bout. If he fights Kang, he will probably get dismantled.
Sam_Rothstein
9/19/07 2:12:23AM
hey for anyone who didnt get to see the k-1 card i added some of the fights to the mma videos section

Sergei Kharitonov Vs Alistair Overeem
Kazushi Sakuraba Vs Katsuyori Shibata
Dong Sik Yoon Vs Zelg Galesic
Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti vs Vitor Ribeiro
Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti Vs Andre "Dida" Marbre
Melvin Manhoef Vs Fabio Silva

are all in the mma video section so enjoy
sakurabaforever
9/19/07 11:19:02AM

Posted by LR

What? You picked against Sakuraba!? Shibata is a nobody, I figured he'd win at least this bout. If he fights Kang, he will probably get dismantled.

Uh, no...I never pick against Saku, no matter what. I said I "gave the edge" to Shibata, based on his youth, speed, and strength, but I knew Saku would pull out the armbar. How was that not clear in my post?

Sakuraba is my favorite fighter, but he's old and broken. Any nobody has a chance against him...look at Smirnovas, he's no top fighter, but he almost killed him.

And yeah, he might get dismantled by Kang...until he pulls out an armbar or choke from out of nowhere for the win!