No-gi grappling tournaments

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » No-gi grappling tournaments
Amigop
8/6/09 9:49:51PM
i have a couple questions about the tournaments

1. Does folkstyle wrestling affect what division you grapple in (ex. beginner, intermiedate, advance)

2. Do i have to go with a school or gym? or can i enter solo?

3. if i pull guard does the takedown count for me or my opponet

4. Can use underarmor instead of a rash guard?

5. Anything else i should know?
Nightmare27
8/6/09 9:57:20PM
1. It depends on your level of wrestling. Even with no BJJ experience most tournaments that I have been to would rather you not enter the beginner division if you are an accomplished wrestler. Its debatable.
2. You can definetly enter solo. No team affiliation should be needed.
3. If they are using the sport JJ rules pulling guard is no points for either competitor.
4. Underarmour although thinner than most rash guards serves the same purpose. It doesnt matter if you use a shirt or rash guard.
5. Have fun and go for it. The best thing to gain experience is getting as many matches and mat time as you can get.
Amigop
8/6/09 10:05:03PM

Posted by Nightmare27

1. It depends on your level of wrestling. Even with no BJJ experience most tournaments that I have been to would rather you not enter the beginner division if you are an accomplished wrestler. Its debatable.
2. You can definetly enter solo. No team affiliation should be needed.
3. If they are using the sport JJ rules pulling guard is no points for either competitor.
4. Underarmour although thinner than most rash guards serves the same purpose. It doesnt matter if you use a shirt or rash guard.
5. Have fun and go for it. The best thing to gain experience is getting as many matches and mat time as you can get.

thanks for the info

ive only been wrestling for 2 yrs but i got 6th at state champsionships(az, middle school) and got 4th at a large regional tournament(sunkids classic).

Nightmare27
8/6/09 10:09:25PM
Honestly I dont think that two years of wrestling experience would be enough to make you enter the intermediate division. That rule is to keep people who have tons of mat experience from sand bagging it and smashing everybody in the beginner division. It all depends on how the tournament organizers feel about it everyone is different.
Amigop
8/6/09 10:11:44PM
ok thanks
Joemoplata
8/11/09 4:17:48PM
Wrestling experience does count within your time training requirements. Without knowing how good you are, I will say that you should be doing AT LEAST beginners level maybe even intermediate. What do you have to lose? Fight up a division bro, not down one. It's not about the easy medals it's about the competition.
Sinister
8/18/09 12:05:58AM
Ha, most of these were the same questions I had when I first started. The most important thing I can tell you is the underarmor thing. Use it rather than ordering some "rashguard" online. I bought a titlesports rash guard when I first started and it sucked.
It was so thick and rather than absorbing the sweat, it felt more like it was holding the sweat inside. I use Nike's version of Underarmor. Its the most comfortable and you hardly notice your wearing it.