UFC 95 - Gonzaga vs Carwin / Marquardt vs Gouveia

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 95 - Gonzaga vs Carwin / Marquardt vs Gouveia
Rampage200
12/20/08 8:20:54AM
It appears UFC 95 is finally taking shape as MMABay can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that two huge matches are on the verge of being announced, between heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga and Shane Carwin and middleweights Nate Marquardt and Wilson Gouveia.

Continued
Wallass
12/20/08 8:59:52AM
These are great fights. Two monsters in Carwin and Gonzaga and lets hope Marquardt shuts up Gouveia.
Khaos
12/20/08 9:20:40AM
Wow, two really interesting fights, I think I'm gonna go with Gonzaga and Marquardt.
motorboatensob
12/20/08 9:28:22AM
Don't know if Carwin can hit him we know that Gonzaga doesn't like to be smacked on. Marquardt just to big for Gouveia. All they need if a main event and looks like a great card.
roman
12/20/08 9:48:31AM
Awesome! It would be great if Gonzaga Carwin winner (GONZAGA) fights Lesnar whether he wins or loses. This sets up what I think will be a huge problem for Lesnar, even more so then Mir or Nog. Gonzaga can bang, he is a big big boy, and his bjj is off the charts. I don't see Lesnar getting past him until the distant future: say 2-3 years.

Good exciting fight for Nate. He is too strong and well rounded for Gouveia imo but the matchup should be a great one. I know Nate will want to throw with him so it will be crowd pleaser.
MikeyG
12/20/08 9:53:50AM
95 is lookin upppppp, carwin gets to prove if hes a top contender and marquardt gouveia will answer alot of questions at 185, very exciting, id rather see marquardt destroy bisbing but whatever theyll give mikey b. a can most likely before hendo destroys him
MikeyG
12/20/08 9:54:52AM

Posted by roman

Awesome! It would be great if Gonzaga Carwin winner (GONZAGA) fights Lesnar whether he wins or loses. This sets up what I think will be a huge problem for Lesnar, even more so then Mir or Nog. Gonzaga can bang, he is a big big boy, and his bjj is off the charts. I don't see Lesnar getting past him until the distant future: say 2-3 years.

Good exciting fight for Nate. He is too strong and well rounded for Gouveia imo but the matchup should be a great one. I know Nate will want to throw with him so it will be crowd pleaser.

lesnar wont get to fight gonzaga or carwin anytime soon since nog is gonna yank the belt from under him
gsquat
12/20/08 10:09:09AM
Absolutely awesome matchups! Tough to call too. Both have title ramifications. Awesome.
gsquat
12/20/08 10:11:44AM

Posted by MikeyG

95 is lookin upppppp, carwin gets to prove if hes a top contender and marquardt gouveia will answer alot of questions at 185, very exciting, id rather see marquardt destroy bisbing but whatever theyll give mikey b. a can most likely before hendo destroys him

Uh, I don't think Bisping is fighting anyone other than the other coach of TUF anytime soon.
MikeyG
12/20/08 10:24:53AM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by MikeyG

Uh, I don't think Bisping is fighting anyone other than the other coach of TUF anytime soon.

true
Aaronno9
12/20/08 10:28:02AM
Both should be awesome fights.
roman
12/20/08 10:42:13AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by roman

lesnar wont get to fight gonzaga or carwin anytime soon since nog is gonna yank the belt from under him

Like I said, win or lose. Whether Lesnar keeps the belt or not, he has a great matchup with the winner of Gonzaga Carwin.
Jackelope
12/20/08 11:04:07AM
AWESOME matchups. I'm very excited for these if the news turns out true.

I've got big dreams for Carwin's future in the UFC, but Gonzaga is one hell of a road block. The guy kicks like a freakin donkey, but he's shown a weakness to getting pounded on the ground, and that's Carwin's specialty. Then again, we haven't seen Carwin against a jits guy that he doesn't completely outsize and Gonzaga is a sizeable BJJ player.

As for Marquardt vs. Gouveia- Marquardt is looking awesome, and he's another guy I've got big hopes for. A focused Gouveia is a dangerous thing, though.

Very interesting match ups with significant ranking ramifications. Excellent match making by Joe Silva. Thank God we finally get to see the HW division move around a bit
Twenty20Dollars
12/20/08 1:17:18PM
Does this matchup motivate Gouveia to train harder and make weight. Otherwise if he is not ready for this I think nate steamrolls Wilson in the same fashion nate did to kampmann.
jae_1833
12/20/08 1:33:37PM
Nice match ups, we get to see if Carwin is the real deal, and the MW div has really reformed itself to be excitingly packed with quality fighters. Should be a great night of fights!!!
Wolfenstein
12/20/08 2:26:11PM
Surprised Wilson has another fight lined up so quickly. Despite coming in 4 pounds overweight the UFC brass must have been impressed by Gouveia's destruction of MacDonald. I think he showed more tenacity than I've seen in any of Gouveia's fights. He certainly made Jason pay for that extra 20%.

Nate Marquardt's win over Kampman really impressed me, and showed he has taken his striking to the next level. Not sure if the soft-chinned Gouveia is ready to deal with Nate's power. I think Nate has the slightly more dangerous standup, and has a better chance at controlling the action on the ground as well.

Whoever controls the tempo will probably take this fight, and in my mind Nate can control all facets of this fight. He'll control wether to keep it standing or on the ground, and he has better conditioning to turn it up when he wants to turn it up.
TimW001
12/20/08 2:28:10PM
War Shane!
xtra_chewy
12/20/08 2:29:57PM

Gonzaga/Carwin matchup will be interesting, I think some people are under-estimating Carwin's strength and size! 95 is going to be great!
higdon10
12/20/08 5:36:29PM
Marquardt is going to run Gouveia over. I wanted to see him fight Damian Maia.
scoozna
12/20/08 5:52:13PM
more tough fights to pick. Damn you Joe Silva !!!
Porch28
12/20/08 10:23:40PM
Wilson is really going to get beat up. I'm taking gg in the other I can't wait to see them both
bls1919
12/20/08 11:12:27PM
If true it will be a proving ground for both Carwin and Gouveia. That being said, I think Carwin has the better match up. nate is a great wrestler and should be able to negate Gouveia ground game. And Nate has a good chin. Carwin could take his fight easier IMO. A big shot(strike) is much more likely to land in this fight to end it going Carwins way. Might be a good bet too, depending on what Carwin is set at. Gonzaga fighting for thte title is big and has a big name. i see carwin at +200/175
breakdown5
12/20/08 11:29:38PM

Posted by scoozna

more tough fights to pick. Damn you Joe Silva !!!

I was thinking the same thing. But the tough picks are pretty much always the better fights to watch. This card is looking good, especially for one of the cards in England. These two fights and a potential fight between Sanchez/Stevenson, a decent main event and this card will be looking great.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
12/22/08 1:00:19AM
Carwin and Gouveia FTW!
Darnok
12/22/08 11:40:08AM
I am really getting tired of this Micheal Pepper (AKA Rampage200) guy only using our site to advertise for his blog. Isn't this completely against the rules.
GrizzlyChadams
12/22/08 3:45:34PM
I'm very excited for the Gonzaga/ Carwin fight. Very tough to call but i'd most likely take Gonzaga. Carwin hasn't really fought anyone worth noting, where as Gonzaga is dangerous no matter where the fight is taken.

As for the Marquardt/ Gouveia fight, i think Nate is going to run right through Gouveia like he did with Kampman.
prozacnation1978
12/23/08 2:50:38AM

honestly i think both fights should be for title shots especially the marquadt vs goueveia looking forward to seeing that fight

i think gonzaga could get knocked out by carwin should be very interesting fight