M-1 Global's first event could...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » M-1 Global's first event could...
cmill21
12/1/07 7:46:35PM
ProElite.com (SamCaplan.ProElite.com) has learned through multiple sources that M-1 Global is leaning towards holding their first pay-per-view event in the U.S. in Newark, NJ at the Prudential Center, the same venue that hosted UFC 78 earlier this month.

Matchups for the first show are already being discussed. A main event between Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett is under consideration but Barnett is currently not contracted to the promotion.

Link
jae_1833
12/1/07 11:24:27PM
This fight an/or Randy is the only ones that make sense for Fedor to me any more.
hippysmacker
12/2/07 3:20:32AM

Posted by jae_1833

This fight an/or Randy is the only ones that make sense for Fedor to me any more.

Fedor Randy would draw Hardcores and casuals. Fedor/Barnett would make sure every hardcore not only buys it, but tries to recruit there casual friends to watch it too IMO. This would definitely put M-1 as the # 2 MMA org. right away in my book, if they can pull off a fight neither Pride or the UFC did.
xAcidburNx
12/2/07 5:14:55AM
I dont believe anything about who fedor is fighting until i see some definate proof. Monson,rizzo,Ishida,fujita. now barnett. even thoughts of randy. NO MORE!!
Copenhagen
12/2/07 3:01:41PM

Posted by jae_1833

In many polls Josh is ahead of Randy. So why wouldn't this fight make sense?

EDIT: Sorry i misunderstood you.
cmill21
12/2/07 10:31:36PM

Posted by xAcidburNx

I dont believe anything about who fedor is fighting until i see some definate proof. Monson,rizzo,Ishida,fujita. now barnett. even thoughts of randy. NO MORE!!

This isn't the same event. The event your refering to will most likely have Fedor fighting a less successful fighter then barney stepping in to fight Fedor. This event is supposed to be M-1 Globals first event under their new managment, the NYE event is not an M-1 event, it just has M-1 fighters.
MMA_MESSIAH
12/2/07 11:47:44PM
double post, sorry
MMA_MESSIAH
12/2/07 11:51:18PM

Fedor Randy would draw Hardcores and casuals. Fedor/Barnett would make sure every hardcore not only buys it, but tries to recruit there casual friends to watch it too IMO. This would definitely put M-1 as the # 2 MMA org. right away in my book, if they can pull off a fight neither Pride or the UFC did.

IMO one fight can't make the Org. an overnight contender to UFC.
NatedawgThaM
12/3/07 1:50:07AM
Fedor/Barnett IMO will be a better fight then any of the Fedor/Big Nog. Dont get me wrong. I'm a huge Nog fan and know for a fact he'll be the next HW champion he first opportunity he gets. But style wise I think Fedor/Barnett puts on a better fight.

My explanation for this is simple. Big Nog was a BJJ guy. Everyone knows in BJJ nobody cares what position there in. They will submitt for anywhere which is why most of them are really calm on there back like Big Nog. So Big Nog didn't care about getting on top he was working from the guard most the fight with Fedor in it. But Barnett on the other hand is a catch wrestler and anybody who knows anything about wrestling knows position is everything so Barnett will look more towards the takedown rather then work subs from any position.

The fight would be an absolute grappling war. There striking is somewhat even. Not the greatest technique wise with pin point accuracy but they can hand with the best strikers. But grappling they will be slamming each other all over the place.

Hope that fight happens

Even if it don't happen this 1st M-1 event could go down as the best first show in a company in MMA history! Definitlely have the fighters to pull it off...