UFC 86 - Discussion/Results Thread (SPOILERS)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » UFC 86 - Discussion/Results Thread (SPOILERS)
« Previous Page
Lord_Lenny
7/6/08 4:22:25AM
conngratulations to forrest, but man i dont know. once they had read off a 49-46 for one of the scores i thought it was rampage for sure, seeing as how round 2 was the only clearly won round for forrest. I had round one for rampage, round two for forrest possible 10-8 (other than leg kick no real damage was done), round three being very close but still for rampage due to more strikes and more powerful ones. Forrest seems to be more aggressive here but rampage does more damage. Round four goes to Rampage, this is when he opens up the cut i believe and is like a less even round 3. Round five is the closest, I honestly would have scored this a 10-10 seeing as how forrest took the first half and rampage took the second half, but yet again forrest looks to be the aggressor and yet again rampage deals out more damage.

I thought a draw would have been possible, but i saw the fight going at least 3-2 rampage, and was completely surprised

i'm also a fan of the old boxing opinion that if a round is that close you give the champion the benifit of the doubt, you've gotta beat him not match him

I was torn because i liked both guys so i was just hoping that both had a good showing, but i honestly thought rampage won. I might have to watch it again but i cant believe i'm in the minority here.
rifrat
7/6/08 4:44:29AM

the UFC 86 event fights are up over at http://www.mmabloodbath.com

For those who missed it -> Rampage Jackson vs Forest Griffin - the full fight is up:
http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2008/07/quinton-jackson-vs-forrest-griffin-ufc.html

Joe Stevenson vs Gleison Tibau: UFC 86 - Full Fight Video:
http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-stevenson-vs-gleison-tibau-ufc-86.html

Chris Lytle vs Josh Koscheck: UFC 86 - Full Fight Video:
http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2008/07/chris-lytle-vs-josh-koscheck-ufc-86.html

Tyson Griffin vs Marcus Aurelio: UFC 86 - Full Fight Video:
http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2008/07/tyson-griffin-vs-marcus-aurelio-ufc-86.html

Ricardo Almeida vs Patrick Cote: UFC 86 - Full Fight Video:
http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2008/07/ricardo-almeida-vs-patrick-cote-ufc-86.html

ENJOY!
RSH
7/6/08 4:52:20AM
I don't know, I watched this with 5 of my friends, all of us had forrest winning before the announcement, we all had him winning 2nd with 10-8, then 3 and 5th with 10-9. I don't see how in anyway rampage won this fight, he caused minimal damage, sat on forrest after he did a self-takedown while forrest had a couple submission attempts...bah...rampage was to hurt to walk, forrest just hit him with kick after kick, most blocked, but alot more than what rampage did.

Oh well, but I thought Cote lost...

I love that forrest.
MMAcca
7/6/08 9:21:30AM
UFC 86 Fight of the Night: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin
UFC 86 Knockout of the Night: Melvin Guillard
UFC 86 Submission of the Night: Cole Miller
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/08 9:43:53AM
Wow, just finished watching Miller/Gurgel... that fight was crazy sick man, those guys just gave it their all. def a good choice for sub of the night
Aether
7/6/08 10:01:04AM
I don't really think you are in the minority Lenny. It seems to be pretty split down the middle from what I can see. Even all of the play by plays I've been looking up from various sites seem to be split almost perfectly down the middle about this as well. Problem is it was one of those fights where there was no real winner. It was just too close to say "this guy won definitively" and I think just because it's a title fight rampage should have held the title.

Again though I don't think anyone can really call bs on the decision (other than the 49-46 that was total bs.) Could've gone either way.
masodd
7/6/08 11:14:50AM
I think that rampage won that fight i would have scored it 48-47. Round 1 rampage. Round 2 Forrest. Round 3 Rampage. Round 4 Rampage. Round 5 Forrest.
RMFG_187
7/6/08 12:24:20PM
Rampage won round 1
Forrest won round 2 (10-8)
Forrest won round 3
Rampage won round 4
Forrest won round 5
MaxOne
7/6/08 12:43:27PM

Posted by RSH

I don't know, I watched this with 5 of my friends, all of us had forrest winning before the announcement, we all had him winning 2nd with 10-8, then 3 and 5th with 10-9. I don't see how in anyway rampage won this fight, he caused minimal damage, sat on forrest after he did a self-takedown while forrest had a couple submission attempts...bah...rampage was to hurt to walk, forrest just hit him with kick after kick, most blocked, but alot more than what rampage did.

Oh well, but I thought Cote lost...

I love that forrest.

you weren't watching the same fight as me...

It should have been 3 rounds to 2 in favor of rampage. I wouldn't have been totally blown away by a draw. A split decision in Forrest's favor would have been a big stretch but.....4 out of 5 rounds? That's insane. I love Forrest, everybody does... but He didn't win that fight. He fought great, stuck to his gameplan and it was an effective game plan but he still shouldn't have got the Dub & Cote won 2 out of 3 rounds.

During the fight i remember rampage rocking forrest one of many times and Joe Rogan saying something like "great right hand by forrest..." I was like, 'dude, did you see what just happened? Forrest got rocked"

I don't think anybody in the room thought they were going to give it forrest. Forrest is a cool dude and he's a great "face" for the sport but he shouldn't really be the champ.

Lord_Lenny
7/6/08 8:36:40PM

Posted by Aether

I don't really think you are in the minority Lenny. It seems to be pretty split down the middle from what I can see. Even all of the play by plays I've been looking up from various sites seem to be split almost perfectly down the middle about this as well. Problem is it was one of those fights where there was no real winner. It was just too close to say "this guy won definitively" and I think just because it's a title fight rampage should have held the title.

Again though I don't think anyone can really call bs on the decision (other than the 49-46 that was total bs.) Could've gone either way.

yeah it seemed like i was in the minority last night, but today seems even. I suppose it has a lot to do with how people value effective striking vs. aggression. Definitely a close fight. People will be arguing about this for a long time, i just hope we get to see a rematch soon, two tough-ass guys.
drclean
7/7/08 12:41:25AM
I agreed with the judges who scored it 48-46. Most people are in agreement that RDs 1 and 4 were 10-9 Rampage, RD 2 was 10-8 Forrest and RD 5 was 10-9 Forrest. All that leaves is RD 3, which was without a doubt a VERY close round.

I went back and rewatched RD 3 just a few minutes ago and I have to say that I think Forrest won it by a slim margin. Not a lot of action to speak of early in the round, Forrest seemed to be controlling the octagon for most of it. Both fighters landed only maybe 2 or 3 solid punches a piece in the round. Rampage had a couple of nice combos that were mostly blocked by Forrest although they did seem to have some impact on him (which he later confirmed in the postfight interview). The deciding factor for me were leg kicks, although Rampage was doing a good job of avoiding them early in the round later on Forrest landed 3 or 4 nice ones and to me that ever so slightly edged the round in his favor. I had Rampage slightly taking the punching battle, Forrest slightly taking the Octagon control battle, and Forrest slightly taking the kicking battle - 10-9 Forrest.

Of course the judge scoring the fight 49-46 was complete nonsense. That's the kind of thing that makes you wonder just where they're getting these guys from. You can't call for a split decision, that would imply collaboration amongst the judges, it's always better when the judges agree on the outcome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]