UFC 84 - Best UFC ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 84 - Best UFC ever?
Kastro
5/23/08 11:28:12PM
The card is looking amazing..

We have 3 HUGE match-ups including Sherk/Penn, Ortiz/Machida and Jardine/Wandy... we also have big names on the undercard as well such as Thiago Silva, Sokodjou, and Nakamura..

I cant remember a fight card this good in the UFC since UFC 73: Stacked, which didnt turn out to be as good as promised..

Honestly this UFC lineup is looking like one of the old Pride cards where every matchup had a big name.

Also, if we look at the styles in these match-ups it makes for an amazing night of non-stop action.. Penn vs Sherk has fight of the night written all over it, Soko vs Nakamura is a showdown of the elite judoka's which promises to be good, we also got wandy vs jardine which is definitely ending in a serious KO and we got undercard fights which on paper look like they are going to be barn burners..

Not only is this a good card on paper, but stylistically it promises to be one hell of a night.. boy I cant wait!!
JoeySteel
5/23/08 11:33:04PM
yes sir.
ohiostate1016
5/23/08 11:34:00PM
Why don't you wait about 25 or so hours to call this the best UFC ever?
JBatch
5/23/08 11:55:55PM
I agree that the card looks good on paper butthen you brought up the point I was going to bring up using Stacked as my example. You can make the matchups and put the big names on a card but it doesn't always live upto the hype. Got to wait for the card to play out, much like a punchers chance any card has the potential to be the best ever.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/23/08 11:58:06PM
im very exited. WOOOOOOOOO matt hammil style.

i thought stacked was awesome as well.
fonduktoe
5/24/08 12:07:21AM
remember the ufc that was surnamed "knockout"
not only were there no knockouts but it was also a bore of a card
there has also been ultimate fight nights that have had ho hum match ups that turned into incredible wars
i'll admit this card is as heaped in ufc talent as any that i can remember but i will always reserve judgement until after the fact because the beauty of this sport is also one of it's drawbacks- anything can happen this includes 15 minute snoozefests as well as 8 second knockouts
either way i'll be there
Mchubb316
5/24/08 12:29:20AM
Big names are nice to have on a card, but I like any fight that is a good fight. It doesn't have to have the name chuck, fedor, georges, or randy among many others for it to be a good fight. show me 10 fighters who are willing to go out and give it their all and fight the way they are supposed to and I'm happy.
Kracker_Jap
5/24/08 12:30:30AM
I'm going to be nice to kastro and say yes this could be the best UFC ever on paper
Pitbull09
5/24/08 12:42:02AM
We sere all saying that for the Nemesis card before it happened and though it had a great fight with Chuck/Wandy and GSP beating Hughes, the undercard absolutely ruined its chances as best card ever.

Wait til it happens, the Jardine/Wanderlei fight just doesnt excite me. Idk why. Hughes and Penn is what Ive been waiting for so long now.
fonduktoe
5/24/08 2:56:58AM

Posted by Pitbull09

We sere all saying that for the Nemesis card before it happened and though it had a great fight with Chuck/Wandy and GSP beating Hughes, the undercard absolutely ruined its chances as best card ever.

Wait til it happens, the Jardine/Wanderlei fight just doesnt excite me. Idk why. Hughes and Penn is what Ive been waiting for so long now.

hughes and penn.....really?
to each his own i guess
NatedawgThaM
5/24/08 3:05:57AM
Your dead on!

A great main event full of bad blood that will bring forth exciting fireworks. The co-main events are solid and it's a chance for two guys to be make their way into the elite bunch or it's a way to get two careers back on track not to mention each fights styles match up excitingly! Great up and comers in the other main card fights, SIKED ABOUT SEEING THIAGO!!

The undercard looks good, overall this looks like a bad ass night of fights!
Chuteboxer
5/24/08 12:02:49PM
In my humble opinion, either the last Fight Night that happened or UFC 79 was the best card ever...UFC 84 is GOOD, but it's not GREAT..
prozacnation1978
5/24/08 1:13:30PM
i would have to say best card this year, but aug is shaping up nicely
i don't know why the ufc has really great cards and then lousy ones,
maybe they should hire me to help balance that out
it doesn't make sense?? we all pay mostly the same so i don't see why we can't all get good fights??
Kastro
5/24/08 4:40:20PM
Thanks for the replies, and yes its very true that this card could turn out to be a snoozefest however I just have the feeling that its going to be great.. I look at the match-ups and I just know shit is going to hit the fan (in a good way!).

We got a handful of KO artists, we got the submission practitioners, and every match has been made with the intent to create quite the show.. the only fight I predict will be boring is Ortiz/Machida considering Machida likes to sit back and counter strike and Ortiz likes to take his opponents down and grind them out slowly.. but hopefully Machida smashes Ortiz early and gets him out of the UFC..

Only 5 and a half hours away, cant wait!!! PS: If the card lives up to the hype I will bring this back up for sure.. hehe
Gipper
5/24/08 6:03:14PM
ufc 74
Dastardly1
5/24/08 6:23:31PM
UFC 52 imo was the best ever.

Liddell-vs-Couture, Hughes-vs-Trigg, GSP-vs-Mayhem, Salavery-vs-Riggs, Lindland-vs-Lutter, Cote'-vs-Doerksen, Babalu-vs-Wiuff, Van Arsdale-vs-Marsh.
Kastro
5/25/08 2:58:57AM
Looks like this event lived up to the hype (at least IMO anyways)..

A lot of great endings, it was so good to see Wandy bounce back looks like the old axe murderer finally stepped back into the octagon.. we also have Thiago Silva victorious again after he made it through a real rough time at the beginning of his fight, Tito Ortiz showed he is dangerous and always willing to brawl while the a little too much reserved Machida proved he is one of the best not only at striking but avoiding being struck.. we also got to see Sokodjou back in the mix, and we now have a possible match up between him and Shogun.

Overall I got 9 out of 11 picks correct for this fight, two of them being exact predictions.. if it wasn't for me picking Copenhaver I could very well have made it in the top 100 for this event..

Great event for me both statistically and for viewing pleasure, what about you guys?
jiujitsufreak74
5/25/08 3:13:58AM
I loved this card. it is the card of the year so far imho. o thought every fight was entertaining...yes even the Machida fight. The KOs were ridiculous and the KO Wandy had over Jardine was just brutal, as well as a perfect punch landed by Carwin. Palhares displayed some of the most beautiful JJ i have seen in a while as that armbar transition left me breathless for a few moments. Anaconda chokes are my second favorite submission, and to see WM go limp to one was just spectacular. I'm a little mad the Nakamura had to call it a fight because of what appears to be a leg injury, but even still i am content. Reljic displayed that the left high kick is inbred in all Croatians and Thiago Silva was able to recover after a shaky start. And the way BJ Penn just picked Sherk apart was just beautiful to watch. This card was climatic, technical and action packed in what i think is one of the better UFC's i have seen to date.
warglory
5/25/08 9:22:03AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I loved this card. it is the card of the year so far imho. o thought every fight was entertaining...yes even the Machida fight. The KOs were ridiculous and the KO Wandy had over Jardine was just brutal, as well as a perfect punch landed by Carwin. Palhares displayed some of the most beautiful JJ i have seen in a while as that armbar transition left me breathless for a few moments. Anaconda chokes are my second favorite submission, and to see WM go limp to one was just spectacular. I'm a little mad the Nakamura had to call it a fight because of what appears to be a leg injury, but even still i am content. Reljic displayed that the left high kick is inbred in all Croatians and Thiago Silva was able to recover after a shaky start. And the way BJ Penn just picked Sherk apart was just beautiful to watch. This card was climatic, technical and action packed in what i think is one of the better UFC's i have seen to date.

BRAVO! Great overview man, couldn't have summarized it any better.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/25/08 1:00:39PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

BRAVO! Great overview man, couldn't have summarized it any better.