If Ya' Can't Beat 'Em...Urijah Faber to Drop to Bantamweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » If Ya' Can't Beat 'Em...Urijah Faber to Drop to Bantamweight
grappler0000
6/2/10 4:23:28AM
In an interview with ProMMARadio this weekend, former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber confirmed that he will be dropping down to bantamweight to test the 135-pound waters.

“From the sound of things, they want me to go down to 35. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time -- go down and have some fights down there. So, I'll probably have a couple of fights down there and maybe go back up to 45; we're not real sure yet."

Although he is a short, but stocky featherweight, Faber says that the drop won't be a tough one.

“I'm a small 45-pounder. I mean, all through college I was 133 pounds. It isn't like it's been a hard cut for 145. I’m probably a natural 135-pounder, so it won’t be difficult for me.”

Link
lohmann
6/2/10 5:05:15AM
I would pick Faber over Dominick Cruz any day.

If Cruz gets by Faber's teammate Benavidez again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Faber actively lobbying for a title shot and getting one, jumping ahead of Jorgenson.

EDIT: Actually, Faber vs. Jorgenson for a title shot would be an amazing fight.
sclasclemski
6/2/10 6:21:37AM
I was just wondering yesterday what was up with Uriah...if his leg was healing well and what not....I guess this makes things interesting again for him...I don't think it will be an easy road for him.
icantthinkofanything
6/2/10 6:39:59AM
Uriah would prolly do well, since he thinks he can cut down so easily. He was able to beat a lot of 45'ers, 35ers should be easy, especially since Uriah is fast and explosive.
postman
6/2/10 9:09:49AM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Uriah would prolly do well, since he thinks he can cut down so easily. He was able to beat a lot of 45'ers, 35ers should be easy, especially since Uriah is fast and explosive.

Depends on how he handles the cut. That extra 10 lbs could be more then his body can deal with and actually slow him down and make him weaker.
prozacnation1978
6/2/10 9:19:25AM
He probably would fight scott jorgenson first I doubt miguel torres would be fed to him. Or he can fight bowles
Wolf
6/2/10 9:42:13AM
i want to know what happens if Benevidez gets the title? They're supposed to be real close. Does Uriah just sit there and wait?
Chael_Sonnen
6/2/10 1:05:06PM
Would love to see Faber fight his training partner Benevidez....if they fought, I would go in favor of Joseph.
noahgenda
6/2/10 1:24:27PM
he almost never actually weighed 145 in his fights, always like 143 and ****. i think he will be able to do this without too much work. and he is basically straight away the best fighter at 135 imo
Jackelope
6/2/10 1:30:33PM
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing here, but I think Faber should look into a new striking coach before looking at cutting weight. He still doesn't put combinations together
ncordless
6/2/10 2:13:40PM
I like Faber as a fighter and as a person who is good for the sport. I think he has a chance to dominate 135 based on who is there right now. He could stay at 145 and would always be near the top of the division, but after WEC 48 I don't think he ever has a legit shot at beating Aldo.

Unfortunately for Faber, Aldo has talked about swooping down to 135 and taking that belt, too.

I like the move, but the WEC is Aldo's playground now and everyone else' success depends whether or not he decides to fight in their division.
bjj1605
6/2/10 2:42:18PM

Posted by lohmann

I would pick Faber over Dominick Cruz any day.

If Cruz gets by Faber's teammate Benavidez again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Faber actively lobbying for a title shot and getting one, jumping ahead of Jorgenson.

EDIT: Actually, Faber vs. Jorgenson for a title shot would be an amazing fight.

Urijah already beat Cruz by submission in the first round. Cruz has advanced his game (especially his take down defense) a lot since then though.

My only question would be how Urijah takes the cut. Speculation can't prove it to me. I need to see his first fight.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 3:04:31PM
I can't say that I didn't see this coming. Faber struggled with Brown twice and just got dominated by Aldo so I didn't see him making another run at the belt which would be unacceptable to him...de facto...this move makes the most sense. Only one problem, Aldo wants a crack at this division, too. Tough spot for Uriah to be in.
postman
6/2/10 8:02:35PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I can't say that I didn't see this coming. Faber struggled with Brown twice and just got dominated by Aldo so I didn't see him making another run at the belt which would be unacceptable to him...de facto...this move makes the most sense. Only one problem, Aldo wants a crack at this division, too. Tough spot for Uriah to be in.

Yeah but Zuffa can always snub Aldo on the 135 run. If Fabor grabs the belt they will want both stars to be champs.
Rush
6/3/10 12:32:31AM

Posted by Jackelope

He still doesn't put combinations together

Like 95% of all mma fighters?
Jackelope
6/3/10 12:54:22AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

He still doesn't put combinations together

Like 95% of all mma fighters?

True, but there are reasons for that including the clinch game, small gloves, and wrestling amongst others. But Urijah is worse at it than most IMO. Granted we haven't been able to see his full striking arsenal thanks to a lot of injuries over the past couple of fights.