UFC 83 - April 19th, Montreal, Quebec, Canada -Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 83 - April 19th, Montreal, Quebec, Canada -Fight Card Discussion
DCRage
12/13/07 12:36:05PM
UFC 83-April 19, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Date tentative and subject to change)
Current rumored fight card (source: MMAjunkie.com):

Jason MacDonald vs. TBA

Georges St. Pierre vs. TBA (expected to be on the card if injury-free coming out of UFC 79)
ohiostate1016
12/13/07 1:50:45PM
I doubt that GSP will end up on that card. Either he'll be the interim champ, waiting for a shot at Serra (which won't be on that card) or he'll be coming off of a loss and may decide to take some time off. We'll most likely get other Canadians on that card like Kalib Starnes, Jonathan Goulet, Patrick Cote, etc).
kevietre
12/13/07 2:00:07PM
Kalib Vs. MacDonald would be interesting. Maybe Houston Alexander will return on this card to. It probably wouldn't happen but Tito Vs. Vitor would be a huge main event for the Canadians.
DCRage
12/13/07 2:10:54PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I doubt that GSP will end up on that card. Either he'll be the interim champ, waiting for a shot at Serra (which won't be on that card) or he'll be coming off of a loss and may decide to take some time off. We'll most likely get other Canadians on that card like Kalib Starnes, Jonathan Goulet, Patrick Cote, etc).

He almost has to unless he's injured, he's the biggest reason they've been trying to run a Montreal event. He's far and away the most popular MMA fighter up there, probably on something of a national hero level in terms of popularity.
Franklinfan47
12/13/07 2:13:12PM
Starnes and Macdonald have fought before, with starnes winning. Ne ways, I've heard rumours that the whole decision of coming to montreal depends if St.Pierre can be on the card. So I definately think he will be on there. I would also like to see some of these guys on there:

Stout
Joslin
Cote
Goulet
Hominick
Bocek
Loiseau (doubt it)
Starnes
Macdonald
Valimaki

I'm sure theres much more newly signed canadian talent that the ufcs waiting to bust out as well.
TimW001
12/13/07 6:14:17PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by ohiostate1016

He almost has to unless he's injured, he's the biggest reason they've been trying to run a Montreal event. He's far and away the most popular MMA fighter up there, probably on something of a national hero level in terms of popularity.

You got that right. He pretty much the Fedor of Canada. There is no other Canadian fighter who has ever become that big.

Don't know why people don't remember Lennox Lewis though...
DCRage
12/13/07 7:09:15PM
Because he's British?
Riggeee
12/13/07 8:16:31PM
serra said hell be ready for april so if st. pierre wins thats gonna be tha main event i think hope gsp wins =]
TimW001
12/13/07 10:16:45PM

Posted by DCRage

Because he's British?

Well he represented Canada in the Olympics at one point.
prozacnation1978
12/13/07 10:47:15PM
wow that is a long tima away between march 2nd and april 19th, i doubt their will be a card on cinco de mayo weekend, gsp has to fight in canada i doubt him being hurt or not he wouldn't wanna fight in his home country probably against serra if he does win.
kevietre
12/16/07 12:15:11AM
Bring back the CROW!
Boo_Radley21
12/16/07 12:30:29AM
It would be the perfect place for him to come back. Put him and Cote on the card against some good opponents and I'll be content. Even if St. Pierre isn't on the card they could still get some good matchups made between non-Canadian fighters. No one said they all have to be Canadian lol. So it should still be successful if St. Pierre can't fight.
JBatch
12/16/07 3:38:44AM
I can't believe they are putting on a show right in the middle of my final set of exams. This is the worst possible timing ever. I am so glad it is comming but now so sad.

I do not think GSP will be on the card.

I think you will see MacDonald, Cote and maybe Stout. My question is what type of main event is Dana and Silva going to give us.

I would love to see a Pride like non-title match with GSP taking on like someone lower in the rankings just so we could see him live, I know it wouldn't happen but it would be awesome.
kevietre
12/16/07 1:08:15PM
GSP might be on the card he has this new thing where he likes to take fights on short notice against really tough opponents.
Franklinfan47
12/16/07 2:06:47PM
The thing is, it wouldn't be short notice, End of december-end of april is like 4 months guys. There is no reason why he wouldnt be on the card.

Edit: I just realized this might also be during my exams!!! Dam University