What Is M-1?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What Is M-1?
juanez13
2/9/08 7:20:53PM
The news of Tim Sylvia talking of going to M-1 got me thinking again about M-1 Global's future. Last October they signed Fedor, and started talking about potential TV deals. After the smoke has settled, four months later, they seem to be no closer to doing a show, getting on TV, or signing any fighters besides Fedor.

Financially, M-1 needs to be willing to take some major hits to even survive a show. Fedor commands 2 million dollars alone. Add in cost of venue, the salary for the rest of the roster, cost of advertising, flying guys in, and all of the other smaller costs, and it's hard to imagine how M-1 can do an event without losing at least 1.5 million dollars. If they pay a lot for a guy like Barnett or Sylvia, even more.

I would not be surprised if we never see a M-1 show. It appears to be little more than a front company dedicated to promoting Fedor. From speaking with some fighters that were initially interested, they've also come to the conclusion that this thing is a sham. Financially I can't see how they have a shot, even if they get small TV or run a couple of shows. That Fedor contract is utterly crippling for a new company. I just hope no fighters get caught up in all of this.

LINK
BlazinSaddle
2/9/08 7:24:47PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt it japan's new PRIDE converted into M-1, i know M-1 has been around for awhile but isnt it sort of a revival of PRIDE

or am i thinking of yarennoka and M-1 is sitll in russia?
tuvok500
2/9/08 7:27:21PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

correct me if im wrong but isnt it japan's new PRIDE converted into M-1, i know M-1 has been around for awhile but isnt it sort of a revival of PRIDE

no , it is not the new Pride in japan .

MALICE
2/9/08 7:29:59PM
Yeah, it is going to be interesting to see how they do this year. If you go to their site, it is basically a site dedicated to Fedor. Nothing has been updated in quite some time.

M-1 Global
Pookie
2/9/08 7:48:28PM
they did the cross-promotion with k-1 heroes... so theyve had an event. maybe their finacial scheme is to only do cross-promotions... who knows.
cowcatcher
2/9/08 7:52:14PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

yarennoka was a 1 time event to fill the NYE void left when pride was no longer there to put on a show in japan. M-1 is going to be doing a show stateside in march i believe, and theyve talked about doing it in chicago or atlanic city from what i remember.
MALICE
2/9/08 8:04:08PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlazinSaddle

yarennoka was a 1 time event to fill the NYE void left when pride was no longer there to put on a show in japan. M-1 is going to be doing a show stateside in march i believe, and theyve talked about doing it in chicago or atlanic city from what i remember.

There is a rumored bout between Aleksander and Barnett on April 11th in Chicago. So that may be their next event.

Aleksander / Barnett Rumor
juanez13
2/9/08 8:10:40PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlazinSaddle

There is a rumored bout between Aleksander and Barnett on April 11th in Chicago. So that may be their next event.

yea its barnny vs aleks, and also fedor will be on that card (big surprise) against semmy schilt. i dont know if it will be another cross-promotion, but those are the two bouts that have been mentioned.
cmill21
2/9/08 8:11:16PM
Also M-1 has been around for a long time, that is where AA got his start. M-1 is planning on doing cross promotions with K-1, HDNet, and any other org who would like to do one by the sounds of it. IMO thats the only way anyone but FEG can compete with Zuffa and the UFC.
juanez13
2/9/08 8:15:50PM
I should have clarified the signing any fighters. I am talking about names that will actually mean something when they debut in the US, the kind of names Monte Cox talked on and on about.

That article is full of details that doesn't answer the question of how they can do this without completely losing their ass and everyone pulling out after one show. I was listening to Monte Cox on Sherdog radio, and it sounded to me like they have no idea what's going on.
BlazinSaddle
2/9/08 8:19:04PM
im confused about the organizations nevermind, i didnt know yarennoka was a one time thing, i know M-1 has been aroudn for awhile i just asked the wrong questions
DCRage
2/9/08 9:25:44PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Actually, you may be thinking of the new World Victory Road promotion in Japan.
jiujitsufreak74
2/9/08 9:36:29PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlazinSaddle

how is aleks allowed to fight in the US? i thought he had passport problems due to his conviction...oh well im not going to complain since he is one of my favorite fighters.

and as for the question, i though M-1 only had one fighter, Fedor and just used him to put their name on other organizations' venues. i guess they were able to get aleks since the owner is fedor's manager. so who is signed with M-1? i was pretty sure it was only fedor, but since it is apparent i am wrong, who else is signed with them? i heard something about Nick Thompson...anyway can someone help me out a little?
Manfred
2/9/08 9:45:56PM
I think Barney / Aleks is off since Josh signed to fight Yoshida in March with "World Victory Road"

LINK
cowcatcher
2/9/08 9:54:04PM

Posted by Manfred

I think Barney / Aleks is off since Josh signed to fight Yoshida in March with "World Victory Road"

LINK

thats a pretty good call
MALICE
2/9/08 10:02:57PM

Posted by Manfred

LINK

yeah, I was just doing some checking up on that, so my post is outdated. I should of did some checking up before I posted.