-POLL- Who's the biggest threat to A. Silvas title?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » -POLL- Who's the biggest threat to A. Silvas title?
POLL: Who of these contenders has the best chance against Silva?
Jason McDonald 8% (4)
Mike Swick 6% (3)
Nate Marquardt 16% (8)
Rich Franklin 48% (24)
Yushin Okami 14% (7)
Travis Lutter 8% (4)
Stickan
1/29/07 5:46:45PM
motivate if you like.
nickcuc547
1/29/07 6:02:35PM
franklin will dethrone silva, imo he just had a very bad game plan against him in their first fight. franklin wont get caught in silvas clinch because he is stronger and will stick to throwing fists, i still believe rich has superior power. it will be a war but rich will come out on top.
Stickan
1/29/07 6:09:12PM
all even atm. 25% each.

I picked Nate because I think his strength and willingness to stand and bang would put him ahead of Silva. That being said I see Silva's reach as a big problem for Nate but he's got a great chin and he's a smart guy. If he got in trouble standing up he would take to the mat and GnP his way into a decision.
the-james
1/29/07 6:30:30PM
i said Yushin Okami, but i think Marquandt has a chance 2
hippysmacker
1/29/07 6:31:46PM
Franklin , Marquardt IMO.
Stickan
1/29/07 8:42:26PM
Yushin gets a lot of love.... for beating who?

ttt
dcox86
1/29/07 8:43:27PM

Posted by the-james

im taking rich in a rematch, but sure you could take Nate Marquardtif you like illegal knees to a downed opponent
Stickan
1/29/07 8:55:37PM

Posted by dcox86

Posted by the-james

im taking rich in a rematch, but sure you could take Nate Marquardtif you like illegal knees to a downed opponent

Yeah I noticed that too. Why didn't Big John intervene or the commentators say anything. He ******* knocked him down to the mat.
Reignofterror
1/29/07 9:21:06PM
Franklin definetly has the best chance, but it'll be a war if he stick to his gameplan, by gameplan I mean not letting Anderson knee you in the face for a minute and hope that he stops because hes a nice guy.
RichBoy
1/29/07 10:10:56PM
Marquardt will be the man to beat Silva he will get the title shot before Rich and get the job done. Hes well rounded but he no's to win he must keep taking Silva down. It might but boring but Nate will win by UD and become champ.
cam8528
1/29/07 10:28:55PM
Rich will come back stronger than ever. He will be the champ again. Silva will be around for awhile either way.
ElGuApO91
1/29/07 10:49:21PM
i said rich but after he gets some good standup and takedown skills i think macdonald has a legitimate chance.
slammadowg
1/29/07 11:07:40PM
i said macdonald because he has a slick ground game. If he works on his standup a little more then i think he will beat silva and stay on top for a while.
slammadowg
1/29/07 11:10:01PM

Posted by Stickan

ttt

According to UFC on Demand he was the last man to "defeat" Anderson Silva
loller90278
1/29/07 11:10:08PM
mike swick in 1 year!
nice stand up war that will be
thelastking
1/29/07 11:17:14PM
Nate Marquardt has the best chance at beating Silva imo
strikefirstgear
1/30/07 2:40:24AM

Posted by nickcuc547

franklin will dethrone silva, imo he just had a very bad game plan against him in their first fight. franklin wont get caught in silvas clinch because he is stronger and will stick to throwing fists, i still believe rich has superior power. it will be a war but rich will come out on top.

That's my thought too.
Stickan
1/30/07 5:38:00AM

Posted by slammadowg

Posted by Stickan

ttt

According to UFC on Demand he was the last man to "defeat" Anderson Silva

They really do anything to hype up their fighters. UFC knows that 95% of their fans have never watched that fight anyway.
--Hinch--
1/30/07 8:56:52AM
Pfft. None of the above.

Only one man in the UFC middleweight division would have toppled him, and he was cut so that he couldn't dethrone Franklin.

Matt Lindland would beat both Franklin and Silva. It's just a pity we might not ever see it.
BloodandTears
1/30/07 10:33:48AM

Posted by the-james

Precisely ny pick as well. I noticed in a previous fight Okami won the fight w/ spider due to an illegal kick. I have not saw the fight so I edo not know how well Okami faired in the match, but the win means something. Marquandt has a good chance as well. However my money would go on Spider in either fight, but of the given these two have the best shot IMO.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Stickan
1/30/07 11:56:25AM

Posted by --Hinch--

Pfft. None of the above.

Only one man in the UFC middleweight division would have toppled him, and he was cut so that he couldn't dethrone Franklin.

Matt Lindland would beat both Franklin and Silva. It's just a pity we might not ever see it.

Well the question wasn't who was going to dethrone him. It was "who's the biggest threat to Silva?" or "who has the greatest chance of beating him? depending on how you want to put it.

And since Lindland isn't in the UFC right now, he's got no chance to beat Silva.
jmoooooo
1/30/07 12:04:24PM
Franklin is the only one i can see at this point..........

Swick was overwhelmed in the 3rd round against the crow........when the crow woke up and decided to fight..and if he couldnt handle striking with him, he cant handle silva

macdonald is a big no.....

A healthy Franklin with a better gameplan.....at this point....
Chec22
1/30/07 1:29:05PM
Just from what I have seen, Rich will come back.

With all the talent out there, I am not even sure how Lutter made it to a title bout. He shouldnt have got the shot yet. Unless I missed something along the line?
nate22
1/30/07 1:49:08PM

Posted by Chec22

Just from what I have seen, Rich will come back.

With all the talent out there, I am not even sure how Lutter made it to a title bout. He shouldnt have got the shot yet. Unless I missed something along the line?

TUF?
thestaton
1/30/07 4:06:34PM
I think we will learn a lot about the future for Silva based on the Lutter fight.

If Lutter can effectively get takedowns and work gnp I think this will open a lot of contenders eyes and make them say why in the hell would I stand and trade with him?

Or if Lutter gets takedowns and Silva is able to neutralize him and work from the guard and get the fight stood up, then I see a lot of trouble for every MW.

Rich is by far my favorite fighter, and I was in attendance at 64 to see him get dismantled. I feel sorry for MacDonald who's going to get the Quarry Coma.

I'd like to see Silva fight a few more times so fighters can at least find some holes in his game. Right now the guy looks completely unbeatable.

But if anyone is taking the crown I see Rich being the one.

pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 6:14:54PM
I went with Rich Franklin, but it's tuff to tell... I don't know enough about Okami, o rmy vote probably would have gone out to him, because of his equally impressive record...

When I look at Rich this is what I see...

IMO, I think the UFC asked him to move down to 185 because there was a real lack of talent there, and they were doing pretty well at 205 with (Chuck, Randy, and Tito), because they needed someone to own the MW division while they rebuilt their talent pool... But besides Tanner... Rich hasn't fought to many quality opponents, like I said Evan and maybe Loiseau, and a good # of B-level fighters as well. As the international talent started coming in, and the level of fighters rose, well we all know what happened.

Does that mean Rich was exposed when he fought Silva? No, I don't think so... Rich seems like a very athletic, hard-hitting, wellrounded fighter, and if he comes into the fight with a (much) better gameplan then he's got a chance of winning